Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Women Helping Women > Looking For Advice (my story)

Old 01-11-2010, 03:46 PM

Beth Lemieux is on a distinguished road
Default my search for a wiglet

Hi,
My name is Beth. I started having female pattern baldness several years ago. At first I just bought hair extensions and sewed them together to create kind of like a fall with hair in the back and bangs in the front. I would glue it on my head with hair glue and it would last through about 2-3 washings and then I would have to re-glue it. I had to keep my hair fairly long for this to work.

I then tried making my own wig topper by buying mesh, hooks, and hair to hand knot each piece. Okay, no, waaaay too much time and if you are not an expert and put the knot the right way the hair stands up on end.

I was getting pretty frustrated and then I found a wiglet from an internet place. If you want the name I will tell you if you write but didn't know if it was kosher to put it on here.
Anyhow, the wiglet I got was all one color as they don't seem to want to highlight darker hair. So, I bought some more extensions and sewed my own highlights in. Then I sewed the bumpy side of velcro in the very front. I then sewed on clip in the back. Then, instead of glueing the hair piece on my head, I glued the other half of the velcro on. It lasts longer this way and I had such a thin spot that I had plenty of access to my scalp.
Now, I curl the little bit I have at the top, ratt it up, velcro the piece on the front of my head, clip the back and then integrate some of my hair through the weave of the wiglet. The velcro on my head does come loose so when that happens I just pull it off and re-glue. But there is a solution that you can rub on that releases the glue without pulling too hard.

I get tons of compliments on it. The wiglest are fairly inexpensive. I can even go into big wind, water, roller coasters, etc. without worrying if I will lose my "rug"!
I try to have a sense of humor about it and am very open if people really ask but I don't go around just yanking the thing off.
If anyone is interested in how I did this, I can try and take pictures to post to this with the wiglet off so you can see where I glued the velcro.