Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Welcome > News, Announcements, Site Help

Old 02-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Tracy C is on a distinguished road

Hi Bubbles,

The first thing I want you to know is that there is hope. I am providing you with a link to pages within the American Hair Loss Association that discus women's hair loss. This is the most truthful information on this subject available.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/women_hair_loss/

The most important part of treating women's hair loss is to find the cause. There are treatments available and they do work, though they take time - but you need to know the cause of your hair loss to determine what treatment is appropriate for you. You may need to work with a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss to find what is causing your hair loss. Most doctors who specialize in treating hair loss are hair transplant surgeons but don't let that scare you away from them. Here is a link to help you find a good one.

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

Please take the time to read through the infromation available to you at the American Hair Loss Association - and please know that there is hope.

Take care,

Tracy
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM

midnite113 is on a distinguished road

Hi Tracy,
While I know U have great information for a lot of women here, I also want U to know that it isn't always as easy as U think to get to one of these doctors. We wind up having to settle for any old doctor we find & we get disappointed. I have looked into where this type U recommend are & they don't seem to be widespread. The closer ones/one seem to be in New York City, which isn't technically that far away from me; but it may as well be across the country. Even finding one in my own state is far, since I can't travel easily, so I usually can't get to them. This is especially true, if it's going to take more than one visit. Not to mention the expense. However, as I've said before, I plan on finding a way if that "cloning" treatment does become available.

Now I don't know how much access most of the women here have, but if they're stuck like me, what do we do ?

I agree that the first & most important thing to do, is to find out the cause of our hair losses. But after finding out, sometimes it's very easy to feel like giving up & resorting to wearing a wig, or whatever. A lot of us also don't have the patience to use Minoxidil for a year or more, only to watch our hair start to grow in, then watch it shed in order to have it try to start to come back again, & so on. It's very disheartening. U have the strength to go thru it. You've proven that. You've also said it's taken 4 yrs. so far & U still have more to go. It sounds to me like trying to regain your hair has been a full time 4 yr. job, & it may never end. I don't see me having that kind of patience, unfortunately. So I guess I'll be miserable for what's left of my life, unless I can find a way to accept my hair loss. Unless the "cloning" comes about. Then I will move Hell & high water to get to it. I believe it's really the only choice many of us should make. Just like I believe hair transplants are the only real way to do it now. If we're unable to do hair transplants or just can't afford it, we may as well resort to wearing wigs or trying to hide the hair loss in any way we can. If it were as simple as using a shampoo or a cream to get our hair back, I think all of us would've been doing it long ago. But after seeing a Dermatologist & learning our fate, all most of us have been told to do is use Minoxidil. I guess it depends on our type of hair loss, what choices we have. But after reading an awful lot about hair loss over the years, the only real way to get any of it back, is to see if we are a good candidate to get transplants. The rest of the treatments are just a way to go thru a lot of money, for a lot of years, to get nowhere. U yourself have gone for them. This is proof. The other treatments your using didn't seem to help much until U got the transplants. Isn't this so ?
I think you've been extremely lucky in getting back your hair. I also think you've put a lot of time & money into that success.
At a certain age, we start to lose all of our hair in all kinds of places. It doesn't want to grow back. I lost the hair on my legs years ago. Yippee...no more shaving, I thought. But I never associated it with hair loss on my head. We just don't have the benefits of youth on our side. Our genes are old. Everything in us is old. And that includes hair follicles. That's why all of these shampoos, etc. just don't work for us. And even the transplants won't take too well anymore. So we may as well get used to wearing wigs or anything available to cover it up. Period.
God bless U if your still young & suffering with hair loss. U may still have some hope.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Judy Ris is on a distinguished road

Hi My name is JudyRis and I have been trying to figure out why my hair has been failing out over the past 5 months. If you find out something I hope you'll pass it on to me. Thank you Judy
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 AM

Hi Judy,
The best I can say to U, is to read as much of the posts on here as U can. There are many tips for U. Some are more hopeful than others.
U haven't said how much hair your losing or how it's coming out, however. I'm sure that whatever it is, it sure is upsetting U, as well as it upsets all of us.
One of our "senior" members, by the name of Tracy, has had some success with her hair loss treatments. But even she will tell you that your first step is to see a good doctor (and she recommends the type) to find out what is causing your hair loss. Once U find that out, U should be able to try some treatments that might work for U. The main thing about any treatment, is that U will stick to it & not give up too soon. The other good thing it seems to me about your hair loss, is that it's fairly new. The earlier U catch it, the better it is for U. It seems to be much harder to recover hair if it's been missing too long & has gotten to a severe stage.
I don't feel so lucky. I also don't have enuff patience to go thru the waiting & the on & off results of several treatments. Once they figure out a treatment that I can get & leave it & it will work, I'll go for it. But until then, for me...I'm not happy with most of the treatments available to us out there. I guess that's why most men with balding heads just give up & wear a cap. Now I understand why. Good luck to U in your search for answers. U may find them here.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:57 AM

Hi Kathy,
I know some here won't agree with U, but I certainly do. Even those who have had some improvement are not back to normal as they would like to be. Even what was successful, is not a total improvement, and it will take many more years & many more dollars to even see IF things will get any better later.
Just becoz a hair stylist says she thinks she sees more hair growing, doesn't mean it's true. She may be saying it for encouragement, knowing how devastating hair loss is for a woman.
Hair loss totally sucks !! And anybody who doesn't think so, is nuts !!
What we all need...is a partner who is understanding, caring & thoughtful...who can be patient with all of our disappointments....Yet love us anyway. We also need to learn how to accept the way we now are, coz it doesn't appear that we'll have too much success at changing it. Maybe if we are rich enuff to go thru a lot of different doctors & treatments. Plus have the patience needed, we might have some success. But I doubt it will ever bring us all the way back to where we were. If it were true that it will happen, then most of us would disappear from this site & would never be seen or heard from again. That would be becoz we'd be happy & we'd have our hair back. One story...I have yet to find on this site.
I sure hope that one day soon I will find it. This is my biggest wish for all of us.
So until then....we will sport our hair pieces, wigs & scarves until we have enuff confidence to show ourselves to the world in our natural state.
Love to U all.

Last edited by midnite113; 02-27-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM

Cassy is on a distinguished road
Default Endo

KathyLI
I also went to Dr. Redmond in NYC for a year. I feel the same way about him. Dont give up on finding an endo because of him. By chance I stumbled upon a wonderfull endo Dr. that thought outside the box not far from my home. Just my luck he retired this year. So my search starts again.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:01 PM

anita roy is on a distinguished road
Default hair loss

hi m anita ..m suffering from hair loss since 2010 ...i took lots of multivitamins,biotin n uses lots of energisers ,minioxidil,tugain foam ...but my hair loss probs remains d same .my hair falls day by day n cant stop now...it falls through out the head n nobdy daignoses d probs ....my thyroid level is lil bit high ie hypo 6.5 .i m totally fed up from my life ..i just want to be look normal like others ..so plz help me ...m really in trouble...
Old 05-26-2012, 11:34 PM

Cassy is on a distinguished road

anita
Your TSH level is way too high. You need to see an endocrinologist and take some thyroid. That may solve your hair problem. Its a good place to start. Make an appt with a derm and ask for bloodwork but if hairloss does not run in your family it very well may be your thyroid.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:01 PM

Jan Scott is on a distinguished road

I am 63 and having the same problem huge hair loss for 2 months. I think it is because we changed the Minoxidil dosages. I went from twice a day to once, then stopped for a few weeks, went back to once a day. Then when two months later the shedding started I went back to twice.... not a good idea!! I had been on Minoxidil for eight years and didn't realize it was still working for me as I had some
shedding experiences on it.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:51 AM

Hi Jan,
Sorry to hear your having problems again. It's true that when using Minoxidil, you'll likely lose some more hair in the process. But if your using it for a long time like U say U are, I don't know why it's affecting U this way.
I don't have much experience with it. I've really only started to use it regularly myself. I've only been applying it once a day, and not even everyday. Since I wear a hairpiece & I don't remove it each day, I leave it on until I need to wash my hair. (a few days) When I remove it for washing, that's when I apply my Minoxidil.
I don't know if it's gonna work too well like this, but I'm doing it anyway. I'm using the men's 5% foam. The 1st time I tried it, I used the women's 2% liquid, but then I stopped it. It didn't seem to be doing anything for me. Plus, I had problems with sweating on my scalp & the drug melting into my eyes !! So I gave up.
I don't plan on giving up so fast this time tho. I plan on sticking to it 'til I see some hair growth !!
Since you've been using it longer than I have, how well does it work for U ? Are U using the 2% or 5% ? How often ?
Wow.....using it for 8 yrs., I would think U should have at least half a head full of hair by now ? How much came back for U ? I'm sure we all wanna know.
Right now, I think I'd be happy if I saw peach fuzz on my head. But enuff to fill in the bare spots, so I don't need to use the hair powder I use. I'm starting to see where I put it. I see dark blobs in the front of my head now. I'd prefer they were invisible !! But that isn't gonna happen unless I grow some more hair. Only been a couple of months for me this time, so I have to wait n' see. But it is true that you'll shed from using Minoxidil at times. I had never realized that before until someone here told me that. Will U continue to use it as U always have, even tho your getting more shedding right now ?
I think since you've used it for 8 yrs. & apparently it's helped U, U should.
I'm not sure how long this shedding will go on. I wouldn't think it would happen no more than a month or two before it kicks back in to the growing stage again. But I'm not positive on this. Let me know what happens.
The one thing I can tell U for sure...is that what's happening is perfectly expected.