Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Diagnosis > Hair Loss Causes > Iron

Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 PM

anu is on a distinguished road

Thanks Meggie for patiently replying to all my queries!!! this really helps me. My ferritin was at a meagre 5.10 a month ago , i was petrified since then have started treatment of taking fefol (50mg elemental iron) once daily...can u please tell me you how much was your ferritin level when you started treatment and how long did it take to get to 75? were you taking fergon just once a day or more times?

Thanks for all the help! God bless you! i am trying my best to stay calm and not stress out, praying for strength from God!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 AM

meggie is on a distinguished road

Hi Anu,
I'm pretty sure my ferritin level was 17 and it took probably 4 -5 months to get it up
to 75+. I only took Fergon once a day. Like I previously said, though, make sure you
get your 65 grams of protein a day, and take hair, skin & nail vitamins if your doctor OK's it.
I really believe that feeding your hair with all the good things makes it grow back healthier
and faster. I don't have a hair loss problem anymore, but still take the Fergon a few
times a week, eat protein, and make sure I never forget to take my vitamins. It takes
awhile for the iron level to rise, so just be patient and keep the faith. I'm praying for
you! Take care and let me know how you are doing. God Bless.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Thanks Meggie...really need all the support and prayers!!! also my dermatologist suggessted using a variant of Minoxidil...i am not too sure and dont want to use it as one needs to use it for life and has some side effects - did u happen to any of these??
Old 03-19-2012, 02:03 PM

I m hoping eating right, exercising and taking vitamins will have a positive effect.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 AM

meggie is on a distinguished road

Hi anu,
Yes, I was told to use Minoxidil, but after reading about it and finding out that you had to use it forever, decided against it. Also, my scalp was so tender from the
hair loss, that I couldn't even stand shampoo on it. I just decided to take my chances, get healthy, and lo and behold it worked!! It took approx. a year or more
to get back to normal, so hang in there and don't get discouraged. It's such a shame
that so many women have this hair loss problem. I never knew about the different
causes of hair loss until I started losing my own. I found out that the hair is the
first thing to suffer due to stress, medications, etc. You will do fine, though. I'm counting on it! Take care and God Bless, anu.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:21 PM

Thanks Meggie, your kind words offer a lot of motivation. I am a little worried as I am a vegetarian and eat only eggs ...i am trying to eat as many iron rich veg foods...not sure how much it'll help without eating meat. I will be checking my blood levels and ferritin in another 10 days will be about a month and a half since I started on iron supplements...hoping it shows positive improvements and shedding decreases. I am also thinking of checking on iron infusions from my doctor, see what he suggests.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 AM

Hopelesslola is on a distinguished road

Hi NYC did ur hair grow back any good news?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Meggie, NYC Girlie,
Justwante dto check with you - did any of you get your hormone panel testing done to figure out if the hair loss was hormone related at all (not just thyroid but also testosterone, DHEA, FSH, LH etc among others)? not sure if just this needs to be checked , i definitely have low ferritin working on this not sure if I should check on these as well??

Thanks
Anu
Old 04-03-2012, 02:16 PM

Cassy is on a distinguished road

My ferritin level came back at 12 and my daughters at 10. The Dr. said to get an over the counter iron supplement. Does anyone know which one is best?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 AM

Hi Meggie,
I had my second appointment with my doctor, he started me on calcium, vit D, hair vitamin along with the iron supplement. I wanted to check with you if you were taking L-Lysine as well, i checked with the doc - he said not required, however I feel it may help in better absorption. If you have taken L-Lysine - which brand, and is it safe to take it without prescription from the doctor??

Also, did u take any hormone panel testing to rule those out as a cause for hair loss??

Would love to hear from you. thanks, anu!