Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Diagnosis > Hair Loss Causes > Thyroid

Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 PM

sister1 is on a distinguished road
Default thyroid

Depressedashell,

I am glad you have found good support here! It's hard to find a good doctor that will listen to YOU! You are your best advocate. It's been my experience that even the endocrinologists are quick to want to tell you stress or it's something else. We all know that translates as they really don't know what to do with your symptoms. I had one endo tell me that I could stroke out on a small dose of Armour. That is outrageous! I was able to find this out with help from folks on another thyroid support group. They helped me to push my doc to do additional labs since I was still having hair loss. Your thyroid has everything to do with mood, sleep, anxiety not to mention hair loss.

I don't know much about PCOS but I know that the hormones and thyroid are complex. I hope you can find a doc that specializes in your area. You are not alone!!

Take care,

Sister1
Old 10-02-2011, 06:02 PM

oneofme is on a distinguished road
Default Been taking Levothyroxine for years.... hair loss accelerating....

I have taken Levothyroxine for 30 years bc I have a very inactive thyroid.... I have my levels tested about once a year but am long overdue. About 3 years ago I noticed my usually overgrown, thick hair was going to the drain and falling out but I had so little that I didn't really care. (Also had stressful family situation which is getting better.)

Suddenly I noticed burning, itchy scalp along w a much accelerated thinning hair. The hair has stopped coming out so much, thank goodness; probably due to the lessening of stress, and I have some peach fuzz coming in; so I may be getting better.

BTW, if you order Nizoral shampoo through Amazon should your scalp be burning, it helps a lot.... it's not available right now at drug stores, but soon will be.....

I also am using Triconium scalp treatment which makes my hair seem fuller.

I'm going to have iron and D and thyroid lab tests done soon; hope dr. will consider Armour or Cytomel bc the Levothyroxine isn't doing anything for my chronically dry hair/skin/constipation which has been going on for years..... since my levels appear to be normal, I've just put up w it....

Anyone have any good results w Cytomel or Armour?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:17 PM

pinknprplflower is on a distinguished road
Default thyroid

I started noticing hair loss when I was 18 years old, it was never that bad at that time, but none the less bothersome. I went to a handful of different drs that told me I was fine, and wanted to try to inject hormones in my scalp and a slew of other unappealing things. I was not interested. The hair loss continued for years and it just got thinner and thinner. When I was about 23-24 years old I decided that I wanted off birth control, I was convinced and still am to this day, that was the contributor to my hair loss. I have been off the birth control for about 3 years and the hair loss has only taken a turn for the worse. For many years I was able to hide the hair loss and the thinning didnt bother me much. I went to a "natural" dr finally this past summer. The thinning has got so bad I cant hide it and its seriously depressing me to look in the mirror. My dr did some testing and dertermined my thyroid was low and my DHEA levels were way off. She has me taking thyroid and dhea in hopes to get my levels get back up. She ensured me my hair will grow back it will just take time. It has been about 3 months on the medications and I've just noticed increased thinning and NO regrowth. I am almost 27 now and I fear Ill be bald by the time im 30, so I got back in contact with my DR and she recommend I start taking some vitamins that support hair growth. I just started taking flaxseed oil, D3, selenium, and bioten. I know these things take time so I am going to give it till I am scheduled to see her again in 3 mths to retest my levels from july. I am hopeful that my hair will grow back soon, if not I will just have to rock a wig! I will keep you all posted on my thryroid/hairloss deal! oh and to the girl who said she was vain, you are def not vain, this is one of the hardest things I have had to deal with in my life, stay strong sister!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:03 PM

Default Thyroid and hair loss

Hi, All,

I have read the posts and it's so sad that thyroid issues are causing hair loss and that drs. don't understand or know how to treat an underactive thyroid. I have take Levothyroxine for years and complain to my doctor of 20 years periodically of dry hair, skin, constipation, high temp. of 97.1, cold hands, recurring UTI's, fatigue, low mood. Thinning hair has accelerated in the last few years due to stress and aging; the Nizoral shampoo has helped a lot in the burning/itching scalp category which just appeared a month or so ago.

I have destressed some (it took a while for the stress to abate and THEN my hair loss accelerated!) but some peach fuzz is appearing and the Triconium spray does seem to make my hair seem fuller.

I am frustrated bc I just had a "full panel" of thyroid tests done but the free t3 and t4 were not done; I was told on the phone that my levels are fine on the Levothyroxine I am taking. (Dr. has advised Rogaine for hair loss and lotion for dry skin.)

I'm going to see my gynecologist and psychiatrist (I see him twice a year; I take the same low dose of antidepressants ((have for years)) to avoid recurring depressive episodes) and after these appts may seek out a dermatologist to check why the sudden accelerated hair loss.

I have been on a thyroid forum which advises which tests to be done and just now see that my d.o. hasn't done the free t3 and t4 which would perhaps warrant the addition or replacement of the Levothyroxine.

I want to go to a dr. who can advise me of what to do, not vice versa!
What kind of drs. do you all go to for thyroid treatment?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM

I am using a Naturopathic Doctor and she is also an Advanced Practitioner of Homeopathy, I gave up hope with all the other doctors, she has made huge difference in my life and really cares about my well being, I have faith in her that she will get to the root of my hair loss issue
Old 12-02-2011, 05:25 PM

hypothyroid26 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy i cn undrstn i am jst 26 yrs old

i cn undrstd hw u feel.i a mjst 26 yr old hypothyroid ...though after 1 month of medication i have started sheddng sm weight bt my hair loss is giving me night mares. As such i dnt have a good head of hair and due to excessive hairloss i can see bald patches on both sides of my forehead....i jst dnt knw what to do...i am on homeopathy medication for hairloss bt i dnt kn whthr it will prove any good...i want my hair back ..wht to do??help...
Old 12-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by hypothyroid26 View Post
i cn undrstd hw u feel.i a mjst 26 yr old hypothyroid ...though after 1 month of medication i have started sheddng sm weight bt my hair loss is giving me night mares. As such i dnt have a good head of hair and due to excessive hairloss i can see bald patches on both sides of my forehead....i jst dnt knw what to do...i am on homeopathy medication for hairloss bt i dnt kn whthr it will prove any good...i want my hair back ..wht to do??help...
I've read that sometimes regulating of the thyroid will help in hair loss, but sometimes it takes different meds and doses to get the thyroid in sync. If you get lab tests done again, be sure to have them test the free T3 and free T4, not just the TSH as most do. And test for vit. D and iron...... I think our hair loss is due to different things, thyroid, stress, genetics, overall health. it's so hard to figure out.

I am on a different thyroid med now (added Cytomel to Levothyroxine) to help w fatigue and other symptoms but I have no idea if it will thicken my hair and help prevent hair loss. Plus, i know it does take time to work (the thyroid meds.)

I still have hair and it may get better bc I am having less stress now..... (oh, and trying to take Evening Primrose Oil and Selenium and iron and multivitamin and eating right, sleeping, exercising.....) but don't know if I will ever have a lot of hair as before.

I am going to a derm. who supposedly specializes in skin and hair both. I'll ask for a thyroid panel and also ask her what kind of hair loss I have bc it's hard to understand how to treat it if I don't know what kind of hair loss I have!

I use Nizoral shampoo for the itching/burning scalp I was having and also Tricomium spray which may have helped......

Actually, I just want answers as to why the shed and less hair growth! Hope the derm. can help with that..... Do you have a good dr. who understands all this?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:52 PM

Susie is on a distinguished road
Default 3 grains (180mg) was my magic dose of Armour

After 1.5 years of hair loss, burning scalp, and inner ear pain and after 5 doctors and lots of wasted money, I finally am better. I lost over 60% of my hair. My thyroid labs were all normal but I had a borderline low FT4. Synthroid did not help. I found a doctor that let me switch to Armour but it took many many months before they would let me increase my dose to 2 grains (120mg). That helped the burning scalp pain some, but not the hair loss. I finally got a 90 day prescription and on my own, increased to 2.5 grains, then to 3 grains over a 5 week period. Presto! 2 weeks after going to 3 grains my hair loss went from 80-130 hairs a day down to 40. 12 days later my scalp pain went from level 5 down to 0 to 2. Now I only get a hot spot on the top in the evenigns but its only for a little while. Maybe the T3 in the Armour is wearing off. I may have to increase to 3.5 grains. My doctor was ok with what I did since I told her my success. During this time on Armour, I switched to the generic of Armour. It is called NP Thyroid made by Acella company. You can get it at Walgreens pharmacy. It dissolves easier and can be taken sublingually. I think it absorbs better because it has better fillers than Armour or Nature-Throid. Also, I have A LOT of hair growing back. Yeah!
Other info:
I am 47 and perimenopause. This brought the doctors down lots of bunny trails looking at sex hormones. I went off and back on Mircette birth control pill during this 1.5 years but it had no effect on my problem. I had a normal iron panel but was low (41) in ferritin. I took Hema-Plex 85 mg tablets twice a day and within 2 months my ferritin was at 92. I was low in Vit D and take supplements for that as well as others.

I hope this helps someone.
Susie
Old 01-06-2012, 02:46 AM

Default update

update!
I have had more blood work done since my last post to see if the medication was working for me. My dhea has gone back up and my dr is taking me off of it. yay! the thyroid medication did give me more energy but not nearly what i needed and my t3 level stayed the same. my hairloss has only worsened and not much has changed except for slight energy increase.

she is switching my thyroid medication to "Nature-Thyroid" and I will be taking 1 grain per day.

she also added in "isocort" this is to help with the energy levels so i can stay awake all day. fingers crossed.

she thinks i should see results with this in 5-6 mths, its been trial and error so i can just try and see what happens!! I have alot of confidence in my dr and will keep you ladies posted with my progress...
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM

Susie is on a distinguished road
Default What Labs have you had?

Dear Pinknprplflower and Hypothyroid26,
Have either of you had these labs?: Free T3, Free T4, TSH, iron panel, plus Ferritin. These are the minimum and the most basic labs that must be run for women with hair loss. Your doctor should have no issues running these tests for you, if they are really on your side.
TSH isnít always helpful and the lab ranges are out of date, but these tests, when interpreted correctly, will tell you if your hair loss is from a thyroid disorder, or if low iron is the culprit. These 2 issues are the most popular reasons for female hair loss. Here is an excellent resource for learning about this: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com This site has been the key to my success. There is a lot to read on this website, but these links within the site will answer a few questions. READ the whole site.http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values/ This page explains where in the lab range that you should fall for optimum health. This was important for me to get to the right dose of Armour.
Donít get sidetracked by websites that only show reasons why you may be hypothyroid and donít offer any real remedies. For example, websites that blame fluoride, amalgam fillings, and such. They may be a contributor, but changing them now will not bring a timely resolution to your problem. If you are hypothyroid, you need real medicine like Armour or Synthroid.
Doctor #2 (a homeopath doctor) put me on kelp, an OTC herbal supplement concoction (that is supposed to jump-start the thyroid) and iodine. After 4 months of that with no improvement, she finally put me on a baby dose of Armour (30mg), which helped a bit but was too low a dose. Why she made me suffer for 4 extra months before putting me on real medicine is shameful. Then she wanted me to stay at that dose for 6 weeks!
Doctor #3 kept telling me to go slowly with thyroid treatment (he meant several months to over a year) and said it takes time for hair loss to stop. It will not take several months if you are on the correct treatment. My hair was trying to grow back but the loss was more than the new growth. Increasing my Armour medicine to 3 grains (180mg) was the magic amount. 2 weeks after getting to 3 grains, my hair loss improved overnight. (The equivalent in Synthroid is 300mcg, I believe.) I also was taking vitamin supplements but those were only a support for the thyroid and adrenalsónot the cure.
BTW, my beginning labs showed low iodine, Testosterone, and DHEA. Iodine and DHEA supplements made my hair loss worse. I did not treat the low testosterone.
Also, http://thyroid.about.com/ is a very informative site. Mary Shomon is a well-respected Thyroid Disease advocate. Lots to read here too.
Since my previous post, I increased my thyroid medicine to 3.5 grains (210 mg) and my hair loss is about 25 per day when I wash my hair and less than 10 hairs on the no wash days.
Iíll share my labs if someone wants to compare. Remember, all my thyroid labs were in the normal range but I was hypothyroid.
Best wishes, Susie

Tags
armour, hypothyroid, synthroid