Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Women Helping Women > Looking For Advice (my story)

Old 03-09-2012, 04:51 PM

desperate S is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 20 and losing hair - saw palmetto?

the last couple of years,i really started noticing that my hair loss was increasing and I started applying herbal oils regularly, taking vitamin supplements. you name it i've tried it. i just never tried using minoxidil or rogaine. i was always too afraid in case it had side effects.

Two years later, it's still falling just as much, and there's a thinning spot at my crown and near my front hair line. i feel so helpless, and i'm CRAZY conscious now. i can't have someone stand near me if i'm sitting down, because even if they GLANCE at my hair i'll immediately tie it up or something. i don't feel beautiful anymore in any social situation, and at times i feel like no one will want to be with me if i don't have beautiful thick hair. because where i come from, a girl's beauty is her hair and her skin.

so many people have even asked me if i'm losing hair, and all i can say is "yeah, don't ask me why." it's embarrassing and depressing to the point where i just cry myself to sleep sometimes. I feel like no one around me really understands, and therefore i decided to post on this forum. it's the only place where i thought i could find support.

Also, i suspect that i suffer from hyper-androgenism causing androgenic alopecia. i've had a blood test done before, but they said everything was 'normal'. but i've googled and googled, day and night and realized there are some clear symptoms and hence i think i will go for another blood test soon. i was wondering if anyone has tried saw palmetto for hair loss? and have you had any results or side effects from taking this supplement?

sincerely,
desperate S
Old 03-09-2012, 06:46 PM

Carry is on a distinguished road

Hello desperate S,

you have found the right place, even if we can not always help much, we are all fighting the same problem - so we understand.

I'm writing just to share my experience with Rogaine, it has been really great till now! I am just sorry it didn't exist years ago when my heredity hair loss started but for the last almost 3 months of use (I've started on 17th of December) my hair has improved dramatically.
I haven't experienced any side effects, my hair is not shedding at all and I even don't use my Toppik so often as I don't actually need it. And all this is for less than 3 months of regular use (5%, twice per day).
All I want to say is: you might consider this medicine. I know it's a bit scary and the first shed can be discouraging but if it continues to work like this on my head - I will rather go on a diet to save the money I need for this treatment, than discontinue it
I haven't tried saw palmetto - it's not available where I live so I can't comment on it but just wanted to share my experience with minoxidil.

hope you feel better & take care
carry
Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Tracy C is on a distinguished road

Hi desperate S,

We are here for you.

I am not an advocate of herbal treatments for hereditary hair loss. The evidence of efficacy is just not there. However, if any herbal could actually be helpfull it would probably be a Saw Palmetto complex blend. Not straight Saw Palmetto. I take Biotin myslef even though I don't know if it actually does any good. Too many women talk about it for me to ignore the possibility that it might be helpful. So, I take it - just in case.

Deffinately work with your doctor to determine if you do have hereditary hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) before you start using Rogaine or generic Minoxidil. Rogaine is not right for everyone, but if you do have hereditary hair loss, Rogaine is the only option that is actually proven to regrow hair for people with hereditary hair loss. There are other medications that may be able to arrest hereditary hair loss but you will need to talk to your doctor about those. You can find more information about those other medications at the American Hair Loss Association from this link.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/women_hair_loss/

I have androgentic alopecia and I have been using Rogaine and my laser comb for over four years. I can say that Rogaine does make hair grow. If those follicles can still grow hair, Rogaine can make them grow hair again. Laser therapy does improve the hair that you have, including hair that grows from using Rogaine. It is a ruff road in the beginning though. You need to be stronger than you thought you could ever be for those first four to six months. I never experienced any of the possible negative side effects. The only hard part is getting through the shedding. Once you make it through that your good. It can be very emotionally traumatic for many women. But you have to be strong and ride it out.

If you do decide that Rogaine is right for your situation, I would suggest starting small and working your way up. This might minimize your chances of experiencing the possible negative side effects and reduce the emotonal impact of those first four to six months. Start with generic women's 2% Minoxidil and use it only once per day, every other day about two hours before bed-time. After two or three weeks of that, start using it once a day every day - again about two hours before bedtime. After two or three weeks of that, get some Rogaine foam to use in the mornings and start alternating once a day every other day and twice a day every other day. For example; Monday - use it once, Tuesday, use it twice, Wednesday use it one - and so on until you have worked your way up to using it twice a day. If you decide to stop using the medicine, reverse that process. You don't want to stop using Rogaine abruptly. You want to ease off of the medicine if you decide not to use it any more.

I have found low level laser therapy with my laser comb to be very helpful. Laser therapy increases the caliber of the hair that you have, it increases the strength of the hair that you have and it improves the quality of the hair that you have. These effects make your hair look fuller and more youthfull. The laser comb is expensive though. I feel it is worth it but I wish it didn't cost so much.

One great cosmedic product that I like is hair fibers. There are many brands including Toppik, SureThik and Nanogen. They are all basically the same thing. I use the Hairmax version of Surethik because it is less expensive than Toppik and it works just as well.

Please know that there is hope.

All my best to you,

Tracy
Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 AM

Lissanteh is on a distinguished road

have you look into igrow laser helmet? it looks very promising but it is super expensive...$700!! I am planning to get one but then I am googling all the possible reviews to see if it's worth it. Unfortunately this device is only 1 year old, therefore there are not too many realistic results out there other than the marketing & sales website trying to sell the product.
You should look into it and see what you think...
I have to wear a cap all the time in order to avoid those eyes looking at my scalp
All the best to you and stay strong!!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Hi Lissanteh,

I have seen the igrow helmet and I have thought about it. But I already have a laser comb and it is working for me. I might consider the helmet as a replacement for my laser comb if it stops working. The price is a deterent though. Sure the laser comb is expensive but the igrow helmet is even more expensive. I can see that the helmet would be much more convenient to use. Aside from the high price, my only complaint with the laser comb is you can't do anything else while you are using it.

Take care,

Tracy
Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM

mona is on a distinguished road

hi S,
Im also 20 and believe me I deeply understand what you are living through. It affected my social life terribly too, every little action I do was about hiding my hair loss.

I still dont know if my hair loss is androgenetic like yours but as my dermatologist said its one of the reasons of my hair loss, I made researches for days and nights. At some point I was stressed out so much that I was secretly crying during the day for like 4 5 times. I had panic attacks when I saw the pictures of women who has androgenetic alopecia. And the sentence you see everywhere "Rogaine and Minoxidil are the only two.....approved by FDA...." bla bla bla..
I dont believe it at all! Its all about MONEY MONEY MONEYI realised through my research that hair loss is still a myth and not doctors, not scientist donot really know whats behind it and how can they prevent it, so they give you minoxidil and say goodbye then take their commissions.

then I focused on the problem, you know the DHT production thing. and what those medicines like Minoxidil do is preventing the DHT production. Then I searched how can someone prevent DHT production naturally? and !!BLING!! that was the time I suddenly stopped stressing out and stop having panic attacks. because I was like omg I can get my hair back without using those medicines even if it is female pattern hair loss. besides those supplements like saw palmetto, there are also some essential oils and most especially foods that block DHT(brocoli for instance). I also saw people who managed to regrow their hair back with those natural ways.

So just google DHT blocker foods, essential oils and change your eating habits according to that, dont forget it also has to be protein and iron rich. try using that essential oils but the pure ones. and start massaging scalp and stressing out. I used to hear that those two is good for hair growth but I didnt know that they must be done in order to regrow hair, otherwise it is not possible(especially stop stressing out)

there are also many ebooks about natural hair regrowth and I found some which had really good reviews but dont remember the names now. you can google it.

I started doing all those things, but only 1 month ago so I dont see dramatical results right now. besides I guess my hair loss is mostly about super low ferritin levels so I just have to wait until it gets up to 70-100 from 15

please believe from your heart that your hair will grow back and many people did, they are just not hanging around in hair loss forums thats why you cant see them. If you believe positive things and do those things I mentioned, I believe there is no way of your hair not getting back to normal. you would not believe what I saw, women who were almost bald having a full head of hair with just natural ways and positive thinking. also think about people from far east and india, would not any of them has genetics that would cause hair loss? of course they have if we have, but the way they eat and live and use essential oils make their hair super thick and prevent it from falling out. genetics are not everything, they dont have to be exagerrated.

PS. If you have something wrong with your hormones or blood levels, of course you have to take your medicines. without fixing it those natural ways would not help. I suggested all those things if you believe that only thing you can do is trying Rogaine etc. and dont forget, even with those medicines it takes months to see some results, it would most probably take even longer with natural ways so you have to keep trying without giving up.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mona View Post
And the sentence you see everywhere "Rogaine and Minoxidil are the only two.....approved by FDA...." bla bla bla..

I dont believe it at all!
Hi Mona,

I need to be very honest with you because you are doing yourself injustice. Rogaine is Minoxidil - and Minoxidil is the only treatment for androgenic alopecia that actually grows hair for men and women. It has nothing to do with money. It just is what it is. Nothing else currently available works to treat androgeneic alopecia. Rogaine isn't right for everyone though. If your hair loss is not androgeneic alopecia, Rogaine is probably not right for you. You need to work with doctors who specialize in treating hair loss to find out if Rogaine is right for your specific type of hair loss. Doctors know a lot more about treating hair loss than you think. A lot has been learned about treating it over the past ten to fifteen years. That is why it is so important to work with a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss. They are out there and they are getting results for many women, they may be hard to find though.

There is no legitimate evidence supporting the efficacy of natural remedies for treating androgenic alopecia. When talking about natural remedies, it absolutely is about money. The companies that push those false remedies know that what they are selling does not work. But they manage to convince millions of people to buy their gimmick products anyway. There are more people spending more money on natural treatments that do not work than there are people who spend their money on legitimate treatments that actually do work.

Blocking DHT is very important to treat androgenic alopecia. Yes some foods and supplements can block some DHT - but they usually cannot block enough DHT production to realize appreciable benefits. It is not possible for most women to eat enough of those foods to block DHT enough to arrest androgeneic alopecia. Also it is very important to understand that blocking DHT alone does not stimulate hair to grow back, it "allows" hair that can still grow back to grow back.

The reality is that androgeneic alopecia is a natural process. It is unreasonable and unrealistic to expect natural remedies can prevent this natural process. There is no good evidence suggesting natural remedies can. Reality is sometimes very cruel.

Whether you chose to believe the reality of the situation is entirely up to you. However, whatever you chose to do about your hair loss you need to understand that it takes a long time. Human hair only grows so fast. Therefore the time it takes to treat androgenic alopecia is time that is measured in months and years, not days and weeks.

You might hate me for saying all this but the truth needs to be told whether you want to believe it or not. Too many women are falling for the natural remedy gimmick and not getting real results. Too few women are taking a proven course and getting results. I am one of those few who took the proven course - and I got results.

Take care of yourself,

Tracy
Old 03-21-2012, 04:49 PM

hi tracy,
i dont hate you for the things you have said. I respect them thats another issue but the reason I dont hate you or felt sorry is because what you have written did not effect me at all. I saw that kind of arguments before and will see more if I go on suggesting my ideas.

the thing is, I know that if I start using minoxidil right now, in at most 9 months I'm going to have really thick hair. then Im going to use it for more couple of months, then stop using it. in 2 months, my hair will start falling out again and in at most 6 months I will lose all of my regrown hair and turn back to beginning. Do not deny it, the firms themselves admit this fact and warn you beforehand. other probability; I dont stop using it after I got my hair back and use it for months, years. after probably 9 years my hair will start falling out again. why? because the medicine will lose its affect on my hair, start not working. Firms admit it as well. And when you look at the long term clinical evidince (not short term evidince like yours or most people's who yay for those products immediately after they see results) you are going to face with what I have told you above, as you said, realities hurt but you need to know.

you have said doctors know better than me. of course they do, but you need to find out which doctor you need to believe. I have seen many, more than you could imagine and it was all kind of doctors, mostly the well-known and really expensive ones. you know what they had done? they looked at my scalp, didnot mention my blood tests even there was a ferritin level of 7, B12 level of 99, they disregarded those things and told me I had AGA. and gave me rogaine, minoxidil etc. the doctors who were doing that also attempted to give me Roaccutane for my keratosis pilaris. Isnt it pathetic? anyways my new derm said that She will not suggest me minoxidil, she said "if you insist on having thick hair for some temporary time I can give you why not? but there are other things we can do which will help you permanently, dont worry" she is also a doctor and thank god she was an honest one. and no she did not suggest me any herbal things or food. I told you this in order to show you that even doctors can sometimes be honest and admit the fact, the reality.

About natural remedies, I saw that they work with my own eyes, not from internet, not from before after pics on net. many herbs have been scientifically proven to be DHT blockers. foods as well. Im trying to say that if you make using those oils or constantly eating that kind of food your lifestyle, after regrowing your hair you wont lose it again. I think its easier than using minoxidil once/twice a day for years. It might take upto a year to regrow your hair but I think its worth waiting if its going to be permanent. And besides, what you are doing is just treating your body well. how can it hurt even if it didnt work? and if it doesnt work, Rogaine, minoxidil etc are always there
Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by mona View Post
the thing is, I know that if I start using minoxidil right now, in at most 9 months I'm going to have really thick hair. then Im going to use it for more couple of months, then stop using it. in 2 months, my hair will start falling out again and in at most 6 months I will lose all of my regrown hair and turn back to beginning. Do not deny it, the firms themselves admit this fact and warn you beforehand.
Hi Mona,

It is very important for you to understand that androgeneic alopecia does not stop. Once triggered, androgenetic alopecia continues for the rest of your life. Therefore it does not matter what you use to try to treat it, you will need to continue to use whatever that is for the rest of your life - or until a cure for androgeneic alopecia is found. If any other treatment for androgenetic alopecia actually did work, you would not be able to stop using that either. It's not that the medicine looses effeciveness over time , it's that the condition eventually over powers the medicines ability to fight it as we age. That is reality.

Your research is not doing you much good. There is no good clinical evidence that shows natural remedies work. Sure there are a lot of studies - but none of those studies can hold up to legitimate medical scrutiny. At best, the results of those studies show that more study is needed. Let me repeat this to hopefully make sure this is clear. Even if natural remedies actually did work to treat androgenic alopecia, you would still need to use them for the rest of your life - and the condition would eventually over power them as you age.

The American Hair Loss Association has the most truthful information on treating hair loss available to the public. The information provided by the AHLA is checked and confirmed by doctors who specialize in treating hair loss. Take some time and read that information.

Just so you know, I have been on a proven treatment regimen for my androgenetic alopecia for over four years now. I am still gaining hair back even now.

I do not know if you actually have androgentic alopecia but if you do and you chose not to use proven treatments, you are fighting a very steep uphill battle. Unfortunately, many other women are suffering with that very same fate.

Take care of yourself,

Tracy
Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
Even if natural remedies actually did work to treat androgenic alopecia, you would still need to use them for the rest of your life - and the condition would eventually over power them as you age.
dear tracy,
I know that, and I believe eating healthy food, increasing circulation, using essential oils few times a week and treating your body well is much more easier than applying a chemical substance to your scalp twice a day for the rest of your life. whats more, doing those things will not only contribute to your hair health but overall health of your body.

still, if you do all those and havent seen a change for 9 months, then minoxidil is still waiting for you.

Im repeating that Ive seen results with my own eyes. one of those was my mother who I regret not listening to years ago. at that times I was losing lots of hair but not caring because I had really thick hair. now I understand that if I listened to her I wouldnt be losing my hair, whether it is AGA or iron deficiency. she got all of her hair back after being treated by a 80 yo former doctor who was giving his own home made products, now he is dead but I believe I can find someone else. btw my mom still has full head of hair. oh, and at those times I was calling that treatment stupid and unreasonable and nonsense and now Im calling my former self stupid unreasonable and nonsense

Tags
depressed, saw palmetto, thinning