Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Hair Loss Treatment Talk > Treatments > Everything Else

Old 07-20-2009, 02:38 AM

southsidepapasan is on a distinguished road
Default Any advice on a rosemary oil concotion?

Hello,

I've been reading this site for several months now and thought I"d finally register. I've had thin hair since I was 17 but have only become obviously balding to others over the last year and a half (am 31now). Two months ago I began taking biotin daily, and was using a hair oil casually, which controlled the shedding, but the oil ran out and have started shedding quite a bit again. I had bought the oil in India, where I was when the hair loss accelerated. That and the biotin didn't seem to stimulate growth, but certainly stopped loss.

So, point is, I'm looking for a similar natural oil product to keep my scalp from feeling dry and tight, and just stop the hair from falling out all day.

I found the following article, purchased the oils, and made the mixture. I"ve been using it for two days but it seems like I'm shedding more. Not sure if this is me being paranoid or if there is some negative side effect of this mixture. Any one with any essential oils experience who could advise?

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...ll/134/11/1349

The trial was for alopecia areata which I don't have. I most likely have androgenic alopecia - diffuse thinning all over the top of my head.

With great appreciation and respect for you all,
southsidepapasan
Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM

VeronicaS is on a distinguished road
Default Hi!

I've tried rosemary oil - however, for dry scalp, I actually recommend olive oil overnight. Make sure you get COLD PRESSED EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil. Cold pressing is a very slow process in which olive oil is extracted from olives. It is a healthier technique and gives you 100% olive oil with no additives.

You just massage it onto the scalp and sleep with it in, its perfect for dry scalp. It actually stops itchiness right when you apply it.

The thing is, olive oil is heavier than rosemary oil - if you don't wash it all out, your hair will be weighed down and you will think it looks thinner.

However, in addition, I also highly recommend using raw egg yolk in the hair mixed with olive oil, left on for a few hours as often as possible and then washed out. I can't even describe the difference doing this has made to my hair. It seems to have completely stopped the loss - have faith in it. It also makes your hair appear thicker for some reason.

I'm also taking saw palmetto, which could have added to the improvement.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 PM

hi veronica,
thanks for your reply and the tips about egg yolk & olive oil. not sure i'm ready for that though. can i ask a quick q about rosemary oil - did you find it unhelpful?
thanks
ssp
Old 07-21-2009, 05:32 PM

Default hello,

I did see an improvement with rosemary oil - one thing it definitely does is make your scalp feel good and help 100% with dryness.

I notice you said you used it and saw more shedding. The key here is you said you used it for 2 days! Shedding is to be expected for some time no matter what essential oils you are using - you can't expect anything to stop hair fall after only 2 uses!

Even when excess shedding has stopped, some natural hair loss is to be expected every day. Don't freak out over every hair shed - the hair that you lost would have fallen out anyway. It certainly wasn't the rosemary oil that made it fall out.

The key with using oils is you must be patient and take them faithfully. It could take you a month to notice any difference, but one thing's for sure, essential oils like rosemary oil are good for the scalp and hair and should help in stopping hair loss.

I used rosemary oil for a while and my hair loss improved significantly, although I'm not sure if it was that or the biotin or the saw palmetto. Either way, it made my scalp feel great, and I've read that it stimulates hair follicles so it definitely helps.

Don't be discouraged when you see some hair fall, it's to be expected and it's no reason to stop the use after only 2 days.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM

Default thanks

hi again veronica,
i really appreciate your reply.
i'm sorry, it must sound silly to be complaining after two days - i panicked. i hadn't noticed any shedding over the last few months until the old hair oil i was using (trichup oil, an ayurvedic remedy i bought in india) ran out. i thought i'd be ok until my next trip to the subcontinent but within a few weeks of stopping its use my scalp was extremely dry, in bad shape, and i was visibly losing more hair than i thought normal.
that's when i started hunting around for other oils and being a newbie with essential oils i was uncertain of the risks, if any, but desperate enough to go for it.
i'm also thinking of starting saw palmetto. i understand from writing on this site that it isn't advised for women who are pregnant because it may affect the development of sex organs of a male fetus. i'm not planning on being pregnant any time soon, so that's not really a concern for me.
what has your experience with saw palmetto been like? any mild side effects or things you would caution others about? how much do you take a day?
thanks again
ssp
Old 07-21-2009, 08:00 PM

Default Hi!

No problem

Actually, saw palmetto isn't advised for those who take birth control pills either, which I'm on, but I still decided to take it because all it can really do is reduce the effectiveness of them. But saw palmetto is technically only an anti-androgen, so it shouldn't affect estrogen anyway. It's a natural DHT blocker so it's supposed to effectively prevent hair loss, especially androgenic alopecia, which you mention you might have.

My experience with saw palmetto has been really good. As far as I can say, I've had no side effects whatsoever, and I hear that if it gives any side effects they're mild (mostly just gastrointestinal side effects, no big deal).

It's also cheap, you can get it at any health store like GNC or whatever, usually in the men's section because it's used for prostate health.

I take 2 tablets daily as it's recommended on the bottle, I just take them at the same time.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 PM

Hey, thanks again.

I'll look around for it.

Best,
Ssp

Tags
essential oils, topical therapy