Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Hair Loss Undercover > Cosmetic Solutions > Wigs and Toppers

Old 02-21-2010, 11:00 PM

sleeplesshouse is on a distinguished road
Default Lace Front versus Monofilament

Can someone tell me the difference -- or the benefits of using a lace front wig over a monofilament wig ??? I cannot understand why one is more beneficial than the other. Does anyone know?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Corinne13106 is on a distinguished road

I don't have any answers but I also would love to hear from someone who may have experience with both.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 PM

sleeplesshouse is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Corinne13106 View Post
I don't have any answers but I also would love to hear from someone who may have experience with both.

Hi Corinne...someone answered this same post that I put on another website...they said....two things #1). that a mono can hold more density than a lace front and #2). that a lace front is the only way to get the undetectable hairline if not wearing bangs....so, that at least gives me something to go on....if you learn of anything else, let me know
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 PM

Corinne13106 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for re-posting this for me! I've looked at diagrams and read descriptions before but this answer really simplifies it well. I think the next I plan on buying a wig I'll just have to try both kinds on and see the difference instead of trying to pick one out online. If I do learn of anything else I will let you know. Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM

lexiemustang is on a distinguished road

I'd really like to try a lace front, but I work out a lot and I'm scared the adhesive would come off...anyone have any experiences to share?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 PM

NYCGirlie is on a distinguished road
Default Wig Newbie...Please help

Originally Posted by lexiemustang View Post
I'd really like to try a lace front, but I work out a lot and I'm scared the adhesive would come off...anyone have any experiences to share?

Im at a point where I'd like to have a undetectable wig especially for my thinned front.. Toppers might not blend well so I'm thinking about wig. I read on glueless lace front wigs no glue or tape needed.

Anyone try glueless lace wigs? Do they really stay on? Any information on ordering online? There seems to be so many details (bleached knots? swiss versus french lace cap? cap color?) Any help to get the most natural look possible? If you wash with wig products, will it just airdry into the same style? Thank u for any info since I am clueless
Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 PM

SusanF is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sleeplesshouse View Post
Hi Corinne...someone answered this same post that I put on another website...they said....two things #1). that a mono can hold more density than a lace front and #2). that a lace front is the only way to get the undetectable hairline if not wearing bangs....so, that at least gives me something to go on....if you learn of anything else, let me know
This is correct! I wear lace and think it looks great but some people prefer the faux scalp created by mono or silk. You can get a mono top with a lace front to get the best of both worlds if you want.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:24 AM

midnite113 is on a distinguished road

The only thing I know about the differences is that mono-filiment wigs are easier to comb in any direction to get the style U want; whereas a lace front wig gives U a more natural hairline. I haven't yet tried the lace front but I'm close to doing it soon & will let U know what I think of the difference. I prefer not to glue a wig down, altho it would likely hold it on much more securely. I don't want to put any glue into my own hair that's left on my head too. Good question tho. I wondered the same thing when I 1st started to look at wigs. Glad U asked.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Beliza is on a distinguished road

Monofilament wigs with lace front have a sturdier and more detectable type of lace. They stay on without adhering because the sturdiness gives a better hold on the head and makes the lace lie flat if the shape is right. But they need to be adhered to make the lace disappear. Full lace wigs have a softer type of lace that needs adhering to secure the wig and for the lace to lie flat.

Another difference is shedding. Hair on lace is more likely to shed, so it needs "knot sealer" after washing. This can be regular hair spray that makes the knots stick to the lace. As monofilament is more finely woven, it also holds the hair better. You don't need to seal knots on monofilament, neither on stretch mesh that is used for the hand-tied sides and back of mono or silk top wigs. I guess it also has to do with lace lying flat to the scalp, without lining. It gives more friction on the knots. Stretch mesh is usually lined and the cap doesn't sit as tightly on the head.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 PM

midnite113 is on a distinguished road

Beliza,
Your description is great !! However, I wonder what type is best to wear for someone who does not want to use any glue because of their remaining hair on their scalp. ( like me )
I usually just try to buy something that looks natural, fits well & hope it stays on. Sometimes I'll add a headband or scarf. Or use a barrette of sorts to hold it on if there's enuff of my hair to grab it with.
I know I would just die if I shaved all my hair off, then added a wig that blew off in the wind or got tugged off on a date. Very embarrassing !!
Any suggestions ?