Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Women Helping Women > Looking For Advice (my story)

Old 02-28-2010, 10:00 PM

Dindin is on a distinguished road
Default does tingling scalp mean hair loss or re growth??

Hi All.

I have had telogen effluvium for three and a half months now due to stopping Diane 35. The first two months were horrible.. I lost half my hair. Now it dies down a bit.. But I still lose hair ever day. My question is... I have had itching /tinglingon my scalp for the past three months. This past few days.. it is gone. Does it mean it the shedding will get better or does it mean that there will be no regrowth? I read some that said itching is a bad sign, but some that say itching is a good sign cause it means new hair is growing.

So should I be depressed that the itching stopped or should I be happy that it means the shedding could stop soon? Please help,
Thanks

Is it normal to get tingling during TE shed??
Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 AM

VictoriaG is a glorious beacon of lightVictoriaG is a glorious beacon of lightVictoriaG is a glorious beacon of lightVictoriaG is a glorious beacon of lightVictoriaG is a glorious beacon of lightVictoriaG is a glorious beacon of light

I get tingling and itching, even burning, on and off. It may last for a few hours or a few days. I'm actually in the middle of a few-days-long one. I find that I shed more when I get the itching. This has been happening periodically for a few years . I don't think it has anything to do with regrowth, but I'm not sure. It just seems to be part of the cycle of whatever is going on. There are a lot of women on this site and the network who experience this. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 AM

Dharma2 is on a distinguished road

The burning may be related to low estrogen. When I first noticed my hair loss, I had a lot of burning of my scalp. Funny thing was even my ears would get red and burn. Once I started hormone therapy the burning stopped completely and never returned. I actually minded the scalp sensations more than the hair loss because I couldn't get my mind off of it. It was so irritating. I tried putting so many different things on it but nothing helped until I got my estrogen back up. Dr. Redmond talks about scalp sensations in his book too. Wish you all the best.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 AM

Thank you for your answers
Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 PM

bocashore is on a distinguished road
Default Tingling scalp sufferer

I'm new to hair loss and very overwhelmed. For over 3 months I complained to my dermatologist and endocrinologist about a tingly scalp and burning sensation. The dermatologist attributed it to psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis. After the "psoriasis" cleared up and I had lost 50% of my hair, I again asked whether the scalp sensations and hair loss could be related. Her response, "Could be."
Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 PM

When you have hair loss and lose a lot of hair fast, it is common to feel the burning scalp and itching. I have had it for over three months already and it makes me crazy. Women who stopped birth control and got hair loss because of it usually exoerience that as well. The itching could also mean regrowth. It's just that so much is going on with your hair follicle sright now that your scalp is very sensitive. It will get better though. Click on the link below to read the article.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache...gl=ca&ie=UTF-8

Din
Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM

pilar is on a distinguished road

Hi Dindin,

I've also been suffering from TE after going off bcp. My hair loss has also slowed down a bit (going on 6 months of shedding) but now my scalp is a little itchy and sometimes tingles. This only happens 3-4 times per day. I've read that sometimes this means there is more shedding to come or sometimes it can mean that new hairs are growing. Even though I'm still shedding, I'm also seeing a lot of re-growth.

Are you still having the tingling?

Pilar
Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 AM

Hey Pilar,

I answered your post on the other thread. Do u have an e-mail address we can communicate through? It is comforting to know we are going through the same thing. Its been 6 months for me. Although I would like to say it is much better rigt now.. I am not even sure if it is still going on... I still have the burning itchy scalp which tells me it is still going on. When is thi sgoing to stop? Do u do anything for the itching??
Din
Old 05-27-2010, 01:30 PM

pilar is on a distinguished road

Hi Din,

I replied to you on the other thread and included my email.

The itching (but no tingling) was really bad in the beginning, then it seemed to stop, but the shedding got worst. Then a few days ago the itching started up again and a little irritation on my scalp. But the itching isn't bad at all. I'll feel a little itch maybe 3-5 times a day and it's not bad where I feel the need to scratch. It's not the same kind of itching that I had in the beginning. But for the last week I;ve been applying a mixture of essential oils in a jojoba oil base every other night and that seems to always help with the itching and irritation. I did get a little worried but the shedding continues to slow down. So for now, I'm trying to stay positive and hopefully all of this will be over soon.

Please feel free to contact me through email.

Stay positive!

Pilar
Old 06-29-2010, 12:46 PM

kdwmw will become famous soon enough

I read somewhere on this forum that itching was high estrogen. So, is itching high & burning low (what if you have BOTH!!!)? My scalp definitely itches before & at the beginning of bad sheds. In fact, I remember being puzzled by the itch way before I realized I was losing tons of hair ( I don't have dry scalp, psoriasis or dandruff). Just seems like there are no straight answers