Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Women Helping Women > Open Topic (General)

Old 04-13-2010, 03:51 PM

ForeverBlue is on a distinguished road
Default Went from Dry hair to extremely Oily hair

Hello, I've been having this problem for a few months now, and i feel like i'm the only one this has happened to ( i've never seen anybody talk about it before ).

I have hypothyroidism, which causes dry hair. My hair was like straw for a long time. Now all of a sudden, it's so oily, it looks wet when it's dry !!!!!!! I haven't been able to leave my house for the last few months because of this, and i don't understand why it's happening. I wash my hair every morning, and it just keeps getting oilier every day. My hair looks disgusting, and on top of that, it smells bad too.

My thyroid levels still show i'm Hypo, so my hair should be dry, not oily. It's not a hormonal issue, because i've been done with that for 20 years ( had a hysterectomy when i was 30, went through menopause, and have been fine ever since ). I know this has to be thyroid related, because i've never had oily hair before. This is really beyond oily. I put my hand through my hair, and it's all over my hands. I'm so embarrassed and humiliated by this, i haven't let anybody see me for weeks. My hair looks like it's glued to my head. I can't even go to the doctor, because i'm so embarrassed.

Has anybody ever heard of this, or know what it is ???? My scalp looks fine ( not red, no sores, no burning, no dandruff, nothing....just oil ). I've tried a bunch of things recommended for oily hair, and everything makes it more oily. My hair feels wet all day, and it's making me miserable !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:15 PM

mimz II is on a distinguished road

I am not sure why your hair is greasy, but I think a doctor would be the best person to ask. Don't be embarrassed--they've seen everything plus some. Greasy hair isn't going to bother them.

There are some members in the network who have posted about this...you might try getting their opinion.

take care.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:25 PM

mimz II is on a distinguished road

i just thought of something...have you tried an apple cider vinegar based shampoo?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 AM

topaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: oily hair problem

hello,
I have been having a real problem with oily scalp/hair as well. I am 46 y.o., and my hair started thinning in my 20's, but the last 3 yrs. it has really progressed. This is also when my scalp started to be really oily, and I swear it gets worse by the week. I used to be able to go 2-3 days w/out washing my hair, but now within hours of washing, it is oily again. I feel like it's somehow related to my increased hair loss, but tests by my derm. (last summer) came back normal. She checked hormone levels and thyroid. I so understand your frustration. Having thinning, oily hair makes me feel like crap about myself. On top of that, I'm getting occasional acne breakouts, so I just know it has to be some type of hormonal issue. I'm thinking of going to another derm. for a second opinion. Take care.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:30 PM

BeckyB1128 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oily hair

Hi! I had the same problem when my hair started to fall out...I thought maybe it was just because I had less hair to absorb the oil but my doctor told me that had nothing to do with it. It might sound silly but the oiliness cleared up when I started using an anti-dandruff shampoo...maybe you could try that? I use the Neutrogena T-Gel Daily Control and leave it on for about five minutes. Hope this helps