Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Women Helping Women > Open Topic (General)

Old 04-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Hopeful_09 is on a distinguished road
Question White Bulb on Hair

Hi Everyone,

Ok, this is going to be an incredibly unscientific post, but I don't know any other way to ask it. When my hair falls out, I'll notice a white bulb at the end of it. Does that mean my hair has fallen out for good and no regrowth is possible? Or does the white bulb hold no significance to regrowth?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:21 AM

BeckyB1128 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good Question

Thats a good question. Most of the articles I've seen online say the white tip is indicative of telogen hairs, so it could be telogen effluvium and therefore not necessarily permanent. However, I've never read anything about what the hairs look like when they fall out for other reasons, wouldn't they still have the root attached?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:28 PM

ForeverBlue is on a distinguished road
Default Good News

My Derm. told me that when there's a white ball on the end of your hair, that means that hair will grow back. She said to always check for that, and if it's there, that's a good sign.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:26 PM

missy33 is on a distinguished road

I hope you're right about the white bulbs meaning the hair will grow back- all my hairs that fall out (and believe me- it's a lot) all have the white bulb.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 PM

TEforMe? is on a distinguished road

I have a tiny white bulb on mine too....well most of them. When the derm did my "pull test" he looked for it under a magnifying glass and diagnosed me with Telogen Effluvium. He said it would last for about 4-6 months, but unfortunately it has been a year and my hair is about 50-60% gone with no stopping in sight!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 PM

missy33 is on a distinguished road

TEforME?- do you currently use any treatments for your hairloss? Like I mentioned above- I also have the white bulb and go back and forth every day thinking I have AGA or TE (I'm calling tomorrow for a scalp biopsy so hopefully I'll know for sure). I just don't seem to fit the pattern for AGA- but I've also been shedding for almost a year and have lost about 40% of my hair and I know this doesn't fit with TE either.

Just curious how you are treating this since our stories sound somewhat similar.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 AM

Lucy4 is on a distinguished road

I've come to the conclusion that my recurring hair loss is Telogen effluvium. I've looked around this site quite a bit, and I haven't seen much information on it. Mine is recurring, so I need to find out what is triggering it on such a regular basis. The presence of the hair bulbs is a definite part of this condition.

I found this scholarly article on Telogen effluvium which is very informative (be sure to check out the second page too). It also talks about the chronic type, which is less common.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1071566-overview
Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 AM

Default While we're on the subject...

Does anyone else have varying sizes of white bulbs/tips? Some are pretty prominent and some are barely noticeable (but still there). Also, I've noticed a number of strands in the last week that don't have a bulb, but more like a long, white, flat sheath. Does anyone know what that means? Thanks!
Old 05-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Lucy4 is on a distinguished road

It's a total guess on my part, but the white sheath you're describing might be the outer root sheath--maybe those hairs have broken off above the bulb for some reason. Here's a pic compliments of Gray's Anatomy and Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray944.png

Last edited by Lucy4; 05-09-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks Lucy! You're probably right. I'm going to see a trichologist in two weeks, I am going to write all these questions down and try to get the answers. I'll post what they tell me!