Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Diagnosis > Hair Loss Causes

Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Sad b/c of hair loss is on a distinguished road
Default Low Ferritin - How to Increase It

I recently had my ferritin level checked. I'm a 10. Which I was told by my endocrinologist and physician is normal. I was told the normal range is 6 - 110. Quite a range. Clearly, even if I am 'normal' I am on the low end of normal. Tom Haggerty's website (google Tom Haggarty & hair loss) suggests getting ferritin up to a 70 for a speedier TE recovery. My question is -- can this be done simply be eating more lean red meat? I have no problem increasing my comsumption of steak - just wondering is it POSSIBLE to increase from diet alone or would I need supplements? Thoughts? My problem is drug-induced TE from Zoloft, Trazadone and Klonopin. I took these drugs for just under 2 months and stopped them about 1 month ago. I am having diffuse hair loss all over - A LOT - 200 per day on the days I wash (which is every other day). I am told this will go on 3-6 months; probably more like 2-4 ... am very concerned about the amt I will lose before this is all over and regrowing. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:35 PM

lisas is on a distinguished road
Default Sources of Iron

Are you a vegetarian? If not, try to get your iron from meat sources. There are two types of iron- heme and non-heme. Heme is generally absorbed more easily by people but you can only get it from animal sources. If your are a vegetarian, you can try taking Ferrous Sulfate 325 mg once a day. It can upset your stomach ( I drink Ginger tea prior to it so that it doesn't and take it with a meal) and it doesn't always work for everyone. I had to start eating meat again once a week because I don't absorb non-heme iron as well.

Good luck!!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 PM

I am not a vegetarian. In the past I'd have red meat maybe 2x per month. Not too often. But lately I've increased it to once per week. And now I'm trying to make it 2x per week. How often do you think I should eat it? Would 2x per week be enough to make any significant difference, do you think?

What other foods are high in iron? And is it true that red wine harms the absorbtion of the iron? b/c when I make steak my hubby always likes to have red wine, which I'll have too --- but in my googling today I read that could be bad - absorbing wise. ?????
Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 AM

Default Sources of Iron

Two times a week should be enough. I started eating red meat once a week and after a couple of months, my ferratin had increased to 36 (I started at 4). I know that spinach, kale and other leafy green veggies have iron but it's not absorbed as well. Peanut butter and other nuts have some- again not absorbed as well. And fortified grains (breads, cereal etc). Again, all of those sources are generally non-heme (or veggie) sources of iron so they're generally not absorbed as well.

I haven't read anything about red wine decreasing the absorption of iron but avoiding it wouldn't hurt.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 AM

meggie is on a distinguished road
Default Iron Supplements

I have extreme hair loss from being on generic Synthroid for 6+ months. I stopped the medication Feb. 1st but am still experiencing hair loss. I went to the dermatologist who said my iron level was 20 and she put me on Fergon 27mg twice a day. I take it with a Vitamin C capsule and it has not bothered my stomach at all. I have to wait a few months to see what my levels have increased to (hopefully they will have increased) and then see if that is what is now causing the hair loss. My PCP put me on Buspar for anxiety (from the hair loss) and I'm wondering if this is what is continuing the hair loss. This is so confusing-----not knowing and not getting straight answers.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 AM

Meggie,

the American Hair loss Association has a website that lists drugs that have been known to cause hair loss commonly. The problem with that is that they can't possibly know or list every drug that causes hair loss in all people. Currently I'm going through somewhat of the same thing. I'm trying to get off of Paxil and levothyroxine (both of which I believe have caused/ and or worsened my hair loss) and at the same time I'm starting to take Wellbutrin. There is no known hair loss side effect with either one so I'm hopeful that we'll both be okay. I've never heard of Fergon so I looked it up.. It's supposed to be fantastic- high potency with very little stomach upset. I actually might buy some of that so that I take it on a more regular basis. Iron itself upsets my stomach so much that I sometimes skip it.

So much of this we have to research on our own and hope that someone will have an answer or that we'll stumble on something that works.. Doctors aren't stupid, they just don't have all of the answers. Your doctor is clearly trying something that they think will work. If I were you, I would also take a b-complex vitamin (make sure it's high in biotin) to help reduce the stress that you are feeling from this. It may not make you grow hair instantly but it can help prevent further loss.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:57 PM

Does anyone know whether lamb is a decent source of iron? From what I understand beef is best, but does lamb rank?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 PM

ForeverBlue is on a distinguished road

Meggie...Medications for anxiety CAN cause hair loss. I've had horrible anxiety and panic attacks for years, but will not take medication for it because hair loss is a side effect from all the medications. If i get really bad, i will take a pill for that day, but that's about it. The problem is that all the medications we need to help us, cause hair loss. It's so dam frustrating. I won't put anything in my mouth any more without first checking to see if hair loss is a possible side effect from it. I'm amazed by how many things cause hair loss.

Thyroid medication is the worst of all. Your hair starts to fall out because you have thyroid disease, then you take medication for it, and the medication makes your fall out worse.

I've always believed prescription medication was poison to our bodies. The more i hear about horrible side effects people get from taking them, the more i think i'm right !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 AM

meggie is on a distinguished road

I'm just wondering if my hair will ever grow back. I have an appt. with a female dermatologist in July (the earliest she could see me) and I'm hoping that eventually it will come back. As the days go on, though, I still see hair falling out and nothing but scalp! It has sent my emotions through the roof and just don't know what the future holds. I've been praying like mad but then I wonder if this is something I should pray for since it concerns vanity. Oh well....... Thanks to all of you for replying to me.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:55 PM

lisamarie001 is on a distinguished road
Default Iron Supplementation

I have had a low thyroid issue for a few years now. I alo had low ferritin (which seems to go hand in hand with low thyroid) and of course the hair loss. I started to try to raise with ferrous sulfate but my numbers went from 31 to 61 in 4 months of taking 200mgs/day. Kind of slow. I switched to chelated iron (no stomach issues or constipation at all ! In a little over one month ferritin went from 61 to 96! I take 4 pills of the 29mgs from Nature's Basics at lunch with vitamin C and 4 pills at dinner. I do not think you can raise that fast with food alone. I will have to wait a couple of cycles to notice any real growth from the raised iron but I will post then and let everyone know! I am so excited about the fast raise!!! I am going to continue until I get to about 125 than slow down. Thank goodness my doctor is on board!

P.S. I read the normal range is 10-300!