Go Back   Women's Hair Loss Project Forum > Women Helping Women > Open Topic (General)

Old 08-31-2010, 05:31 PM

Mellonin is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Nails breaking, splitting, chipping and 'peeling'

Hello everyone...!

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else...

Around the time my hair started shedding, my nails started to crack, split and 'peel' (the top layer just peeled off like old nail polish!). They looked dull and I had to cut them so short my hands looked like Shrek's hands.

Anyway, I'm here with good news.
I found a MARVELOUS product named "Triple Strong" by Sally Hansen, and it seems to really be working. It comes in a squarish medicine-like green bottle.

Hope this helps you ladies with weak nails...
Old 08-31-2010, 09:15 PM

Emma Jo is on a distinguished road

Hello....also it could signal an iron or other type of nutritional deficiency. I know with my low serum ferritin I have brittle thin nails and also they have ridges from cuticle to end of my nail. My hemotologist told me that it was from my iron deficiency. That would be something else to check into since you also have hair loss. I am going thru iron infusions (had my first of 3 last week) so will try to remember to update if this also changes my nail situation. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 PM

Thank you for the tip! That may also explain why I'm always so tired...
Old 09-01-2010, 12:55 PM

ForeverBlue is on a distinguished road

Mellonin,

Do you know what's causing your hair loss, and have you had any blood work done?? I have thyroid disease and when my hair loss started, my nails just started to peel off in layers. They started to crack and break also. Those are two very common symptoms of thyroid disease. I was diagnosed by a simple blood test. It's always a good idea to get blood work done when you start to experience hair shedding. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:00 AM

babgil is on a distinguished road

Hi Mellonin,

Yes, my nails started splitting and pealing also. That Sally Hansen in the green bottle IS great.

My ferritin levels checked out okay. Thyroid was within normal range but on the high side of normal. My Dr. put me on a very low dose of thyroxcine.

Just joined and was having a bad day. I hope no one is offended by me just jumping in.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Thank you for the tip, But my doctor has already tested my blood for, I guess, every condition on the face of the Earth (maybe Mars too..!).
I do have an underactive Thyroid. I have been treating it for a number of years now. I also have endometriosis, so I have to take BC, otherwise it could come back (and trust me, I'd rather go bald than suffer with the cramps).
I also have low iron levels, so I'm taking an iron suppliment and trying to eat as healthy as possible.
My nails have never been strong, and my hair has never seemed to be really stuck to my hair, but it all got worse even while I was treating all my health problems...

I suppose Darwin would argue that nature is trying to get rid of me... one part a time.. first my hair, then my nails, then my skin (yep, my skin started shedding too).

It was all blamed on stress... I suppose being sick most of the time doesn't help one's stress levels...
Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 PM

Hello Babgil...
Have you joined the Network yet? If not, you really should! It's great...!
I hope you're having a better day today (I know I'm not =(, must be PMS, I'm angry and sad at the same time, and I really really want to take a nap)!

Tags
breakage, nails, splitting, weak nails