25 and Alone

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by ukchinaheather, May 14, 2010.

1. ukchinaheather

ukchinaheather New Member

I have recently started dealing with my serious hair loss, after being in denial for a very long time. The news was not good, and my doctor is pretty much a terrible person (looking for a new one) so I'm having a hard time.

The dermatologist says that I have FPB, but she doesn't know why. She says I have the most hair loss she has ever seen in anyone so young. And while she is sure that it's FPB, it is not caused by genetics, thyroid, iron deficiency, and she does not believe it to be an autoimmune response. So we are left with no apparent cause for my seemingly singular situation.

She recommends that I do Rogaine daily, basically for the rest of my life. She has no other answer for me. Rogaine, however, makes my head burn constantly, and is so irritating that I cannot commit myself to that type of life. I'm not willing to live with that. (She also says I'm the only person she has ever heard of having that type of response to Rogaine, but I refuse to accept that as well.)

So tomorrow I'm going to a fitting for a wig. While in many ways getting a wig will be a relief for me, I need to know something first: Are there any other women out there as young as me-- this probably started when I was 19, and I am now 25-- who have FPB with no apparent cause? Am I really as alone as I think I am?

Please let me know. I just can't believe it.

Thank you.
  2. frozen

frozen New Member

Hi :) I have female pattern baldness (is that what you mean by FPB) and mine started when I was 12 so your derm needs to get online or start researching better because I know I'm not the only one who has lost their hair young. I have never found a reason for my hair loss or a definitive diagnosis I just guess that mine is female pattern baldness from my own research, I'm 23 now. You are not alone, thats one thing I'm sure of! You're also not the only person I have heard of to have that response to Rogaine it causes a lot of people irritation, I've never used it since I don't want to have to use it for the rest of my life.

I wear a topper and its really made a big difference to my life, so I think looking for a wig is a good idea for you. Good luck and if you need to talk feel free to PM me :)

-Fiona
  3. ForeverBlue

ForeverBlue New Member

There are many men that start losing their hair when they are in their teens. I knew 2 that were almost bald by their mid 20's. So i'm sure it does happen with girls also. It's probably not the norm, but it does happen.

At a time when your life is just beginning, i can't imagine how difficult it must be to start losing your hair. I'm in my 40's, and i'm losing hair from having thyroid disease, and it's been the most devastating thing i've ever went through. It just seems so dam unfair !!!!!!!!!!! And to make things even worse, nobody seems to understand what it's like to go through this.They don't think it's a big deal ( yeah, because it's not happening to them ). I've been told i need to get over it, and stop being so upset about it. They don't get what it does to your self esteem, and how horrible it is to slowly watch your hair get thinner and thinner each day.

I hope getting a wig will make you feel better. It's hard to think you're alone, and the only one dealing with this ( trust me, you're not ). Losing your hair is hard at any age, although my heart aches for young girls having to deal with this, when they should be out enjoying life.

Take care <<<HUG>>>
  4. ukchinaheather

ukchinaheather New Member

Thank you both! Yes, I just got back from my hair piece fitting, and next Saturday I will be going for the cut/dye when the one that actually fits me arrives! I really like the way my head looked with full hair for the first time in years! I can't wait to have it for real.

It's nice to hear from you both. I've decided to definitely go for second and third opinions, one locally at Yale Med School and one in Boston with the "women's hair loss guru" that the woman fitting my wig recommended. And Frozen, I gotta say, I can't imagine having to deal with this when you were going through puberty. That must have been terrible. At least now I have a sense of who I am as a person!

I'm glad I heard from you, and I'll keep everyone updated!

P.S. Love to chat some time, Frozen-- what is "PM"? Is it something I can download? Thanks!
  5. frozen

frozen New Member

Hi, I think that though it was very hard experiencing hair loss when I was young, when I had no sense of who I was it also meant that I didn't feel the same loss that older women do. Were I to start my hair loss journey now I think it would pose a lot of different issues for me. I will never know who I would have been without hair loss, I consider that a blessing and a curse. It was confusing, sad, isolating and frustrating - but thats true at any age.

I wrote on your profile about the PM (private message) thing :)
  6. stit60

stit60 New Member

Wow...I'm so sorry. You are not alone. I have been battling hair loss since I was your age and I am 49 now. THERE IS hope for you. Don't give up. Your doc sounds pretty uneducated, calloused and shallow. Is her hair thinning? She sounds like she is giving advise that I heard 20 years ago!! There are so many new treatments out there, sweetie. I recently stopped using Xandrox which is mostly Rogaine plus azaelic acid solution. It was irritating to my scalp and dried my hair out since its base contained alcohol. Now I use a prescription called Promox which has rogaine plus progesterone plus several other ingredients. It is a mild lotion with mild ingredients such as cortisone which prevent some of the irritation associated with rogaine. I've been using it for 4 months and I have a dense regrowth of hair in the frontal scalp area plus my hair has almost completely stopped shedding! I brush it and only lose about 20 hairs a day now. Everyone's different though. What works for one woman may not work for another. You just have to keep trying until you find what works for you. Dr. Klein, who prescribes the Promox, is wonderful.
  7. BettyG

BettyG New Member

I know what you mean about Rogaine being so irritating. The stuff makes my scalp itch and lord knows I don't want to be scratching it.

I shaved it all off recently.. I dunno why, it was kind of impulsive really. I guess I want to try the Sigourney Weaver look :)

I've seen a few doctors and each one has a different story. So far, what's worked for me a little bit was HCL. I have bad digestion and I heard that not absorbing enough protein can aggravate hair loss. It helped bring in a little new growth, so that may be worth a try.