a light at the end of the tunnel?

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by imadesphousewife, Mar 16, 2012.

1. imadesphousewife

imadesphousewife New Member

Hey, everyone. I'm feeling really hopeful and in a better place and wanted to share that with you guys!

I think I'm finally getting some regrowth, and I'm DEFINETELY not shedding anymore!! Other things in my life are looking up, too!

In the last six months, I have -

1) Stopped taking antidepressants. I don't know, really, if they were causing a great deal to the hairloss. But I suspect it contributed. They were definetely making me crazy! I was literally having panic attacks, all day - every day. And sweating non-stop, having heart palpitations, etc. Since quitting them I feel SO much better. Don't get me wrong, I still have the occasional panic attack. But now I just sort've ride them out, or distract myself. After having spent the last ten years on these meds, I feel like I'm FINALLY thinking with a clearer head!

2) Started talking to my husband about my hair loss. Reluctantly. I still don't like doing it, but it's not an elephant in the room anymore. He is absolutely AMAZING, and is completely supportive of me doing whatever it takes to make myself feel and look better.

3) Finally started getting my hair done by someone who *knows* what they're doing. Nothing against the dime a dozen haircut places, but honestly, (at least in my case!) they were clueless. They really don't spend much time trying to make you look better, they just get you in and out. I finally started going to a salon - JC Pennys, to be exact. My Valentine's Day gift from my hubby was to go and spend however much I needed to feel better, lol!

4) So, I finally got it cut/colored in a way that makes the hair loss much less noticeable. It's cut in a sort've shag, and is actually darker than what I had it. After YEARS of literally being unable to look in the mirror without wanting to kill myself, I am NOW looking at, and doing, my own hair. It's for sure a little maintenance, but I've got a pretty good routine down now. Sometimes I think my flatiron is actually a magic wand! It's still pretty thin right behind the crown and along the part. But I honestly think I could use just a little Toppik and it won't even be noticeable anymore! If it never gets worse than this, I think I might just be ok.

5) I've been on Propecia a long time, but started back on Spiro. Just 100 mg, though I would like to bump it up if the derm lets me. The combonation of the two, along with 5000 mcg of biotin, and 2% minoxodil, once per day, seems to be making a real difference. I'm going to bump back up to the 5%, as well. I'm only reluctant because that dosage seems to make my scalp itch like crazy - but I think the main reason I never had luck with the Rogaine is cause I never stuck with it. I'd use it a few months, then stop. Duh! So, even if I only use the 2%, as long as I STICK with it, it should help.

6) I have quit drinking pop! Well, not entirely. I still have one can a day. But that is much better than the 5 or 6 cans I was going through. I haven't lost a great deal of weight yet, but am feeling much less bloated.

7) I've started school! Well, not really a go-sit-in-the-classroom school. It's a correspondence course, but still. It's something just for me and I'm really enjoying it! (I've been in the Antiques & Collectibles field for over 20 years, I'm getting a diploma from the Asheford Institute of Antiques.)

Anyhow, you guys have all become terribly important to me, and I just wanted to share with you all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my progress on all fronts continues. Much love to you all!!

xoxo - Angie
  2. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

Hi Angie,

I am so glad to hear you are making progress. I had no choice but to stick with Rogaine because I had lost so much hair that sticking with the treatment was my only hope of getting any of that hair back. I am so glad I did because I grew back a lot of hair with it. I will say that the foam is much more conventient to use and it is much less likely to cause irritation. BTW, I read that generic foam is finally available starting at the beginning of this month. I will start looking for it when I do my weekly shopping.

Keep posting about your progress. Other women need to hear it. I am very happy for you.

Take care,

Tracy
  3. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

I just returned from shopping and found Walmart has their generic Equate brand Minoxidil foam right next to the name brand Rogaine foam. The price of the 90-day package of generic foam was just under $37.00, which is twice as much as the 90-day package of generic liquid Minoxidil but $9.00 less than the 90-day package of name brand Rogaine foam.

The Rogaine rebate program is still good until 3/31/2012. While the rebate program is still in effect, it makes name brand Rogaine foam less expensive than generic Minoxidil foam for now.

http://www.rogaine.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Rebate_Form_t12an-a1202-27-rog-wlp-nat_2_.pdf
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012