A Note For Existing Members of The Network

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, Site Help' started by Women's Hair Loss Project, Apr 22, 2009.

1. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Okay...I dunno who exactly U were sending this reply to. I assume it was Tracy but it came to me. I don't know if the site is messing up sometimes or not. Could be. Anyway, I do wish U luck with whatever process your going for. I also looked at the photos of women's hair loss. I just couldn't identify with any of them. But then, maybe I'm not seeing the exact way my hair loss actually is ? All I know is that when I look in my mirror or comb my hair to get my hairpieces on, I have a lot of sparse areas showing. Mostly on my crown area & a little on the sides, mostly. My crown area covers a lot of my head tho, so maybe it is worse than I'm thinking ? I do know I'm far too embarrassed to be seen by anyone only wearing my own hair outside. Have too many lighter areas showing against my hair color. ( which are my scalp)
    I bought to try, some Joan Rivers hair touch up stuff in addition to the Toppik, but Joan's stuff came in a compact with a brush & I find it's more like a paint on my scalp, rather than fibers attaching to my hair to make it filled in. I didn't like it as much as the Toppik product. But if your trying to darken in a wide part area, I bet the Joan River's product would work well. Just a suggestion & info on another product. Good Luck !!
  2. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

sorry...skipped the word "not" before the word impossible...uh-ohhh...lol
  3. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

The pictures in that chart are some examples of female androgenetic alopecia. Not every pattern is the same but most are similar to these. My mother is a lot like the bottom right picture, only she has even less hair on the very top and her hair line is farther back. I was between II-2 and III before treatment. Now I am between I-3 and I-4. I have been fortunate to realize significant improvement, though it took over four years of treatment to get there. I do not know how much more improvement I might see but I do know that I still have hair coming in. I see my stylist every six weeks and every time she sees me she tells me I have more hair than I had the time before. So there is hope. It doesn't happen quickly but there is hope.
  4. Cassy

Cassy Member

tracy
    that is an amazing improvement for aa. I know you said you used lazor, nizoral, rogain, and spiro. Is there anything else? I am going to ask the dr. about finesteride or saw palemetto as I cant take spiro.
  5. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

Hi Cassy,

I think I remember you saying that you were going to go see Dr. Haber, if so he will porabably want to determine the cause of your hair loss first and then go over the treatment options available to help you determine what is best for you. It can be frustrating. Just know that he does know what he is doing. He is a very good doctor and a wonderful person.

Take care,

Tracy
  6. Ms. V-

Ms. V- New Member

Dear Sisters,
    I need your help!
    I'm a new member with terrible hair loss for the past four years, since I moved to Philadelphia from California.
    Not sure if it's the water or the medication?
    Can anyone tell for the best result. What type of blood test should I get?
    Should I see a Derm or Endo for the best results regarding my hair loss?
    I thought about using Minoxidil. But it's my understanding, you can never stop using it; or all your hair will fall out? Does anyone know if this is true?
    Thank you for all your help and support.
    Much Love,
    Ms. V-
  7. KathyLI

KathyLI New Member

I can give you the results of three years of research and lots of wasted time and money:
    Dermatologist: Jerry Shapiro, Langome Medical Center NYC
    Endocronologist: Dr. Jeffery Redmond, NYC
    Hair salon: Roberto Filho, NYC
  8. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

Hi Ms V-

It depends on why you are using Minoxidil. If you are using Minoxidil because you have hereditary hair loss (androgetic alopecia), yes you have to use it for the rest of your life. If you are using it because your hair loss is temporary, you may not need to use it for the rest of your life.

It is very important to find out what is causing your hair loss. You want to see a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss. Such a doctor is usually a dermatologist who does hair transplants. I would suggest looking up an IAHRS member doctor near you and see if they can help steer you in the direction that is right for you. Here is a link to help you find one:

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

Don't be scared off by the fact that they do hair transplants. IAHRS member doctors are well aware that women are usually not good candidates for hair transplant surgery and can usually be treating succesfully without surgery.

Here is a link to help you learn more about women's hair loss:

http://www.americanhairloss.org/women_hair_loss/

I hope this helps you.

Take care,

Tracy
  9. Cassy

Cassy Member

Tracy
    I saw Dr. Haber. He was very nice. He said I am not a good candidate for hair transplant but said most people do not respond as well to hairmax lazor as I have. He was wonderfull to my 15 year old daughter who Im afraid has had hair loss. He said he is going to be aggressive with her treatment. I trust him as he is pediatrics and derm with hair. I am so glad we went to him.
    cassy
  10. Bubbles

Bubbles New Member

Transitioning through hair loss

Hi ladies, I am at my wits end. I have suffered hair loss off and on throughout my life.Until about 3yrs ago my hair was thick and in great condition; its now wispy with no body or density. Now aged 51yrs, everytime I wash my hair I notice after grooming that despite taking various vitamins and whatever whacky resolutions I have read about to halt hair loss. I have had the various blood tests that advise that I am 'within range' for everything. Can anyone provide me with some advice ? I feel alone and tearful.I know our hair should not define us but I cannot feeling I have lost a major part of who I am and how I present to the world.
  11. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Hi Bubbles,
    Welcome to our little club. I agree with U about the feelings of great loss, at the loss of our hair. Unfortunately for us women, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of fixes, even when we get diagnosed for why we're suffering with hair loss.
    I haven't been officially diagnosed as yet, but my thoughts lead me to believe I must have FPB. (female pattern baldness) I sort of look like the pictures I've seen for it. From what I've read about this type of hair loss, I don't have a lot of options to get it back. I don't know what type U have or if it matters to U or not. I'm not even sure what kind of advice your looking for. U seem to have been thru a lot of what most of us have gone thru also. And with hair loss, it does tend to come & go at it's own will.
    Women who seem to have the most success with their hair returning to some degree are the ones who keep up with their treatments & never give up.They're either using something they found worked for them in the past or they're stopping it for a while, when their hair begins to fill in again. Most seem to use several methods at one time, for success. That includes Minoxidil or a similar drug. Some type of special shampoo, an internal pill & possibly a laser comb. Some have even had transplants. For me...if it might encourage U just a little bit ? I have read they are doing studies on what they're calling hair "cloning". It isn't exactly "cloning", but it sounds close to it. Anything easy is a miracle to me. And that sounds easy. It's even possible this method could be starting up this year some time. Don't U hope ?? I do !!
    For all the years they have been working on a man's hair loss, I think it's about time they work on women's too. Since I am not a fan of using several creams, lotions & potions on my head, or wearing wigs, I tend to keep covering up my hair loss with hair pieces or hats of some kind, (and I hate hats too ) & hoping this "cloning" thing will come into use.
    I guess the only encouragement I can give U...is that we are all here for the same issues. Some the same. Some worse. But a lot of us are right here...and for each other in our times of need. Just keep reading when your alone or bored & see if anything encourages U. It helps to just talk about it sometimes, too. It's always good to know we are not alone with this tragic, depressing, disease. Any & all advice I have found here at Women's forum has helped me in some way, whether big or small. And it isn't usually advice. It's usually just another victim sharing her feelings. Any time U want to type, this is the place to do it. Time for me to head off for some sleep now. Or at least try. Hang in there Bubbles. Your in good company.
  12. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

Hi Bubbles,

The first thing I want you to know is that there is hope. I am providing you with a link to pages within the American Hair Loss Association that discus women's hair loss. This is the most truthful information on this subject available.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/women_hair_loss/

The most important part of treating women's hair loss is to find the cause. There are treatments available and they do work, though they take time - but you need to know the cause of your hair loss to determine what treatment is appropriate for you. You may need to work with a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss to find what is causing your hair loss. Most doctors who specialize in treating hair loss are hair transplant surgeons but don't let that scare you away from them. Here is a link to help you find a good one.

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

Please take the time to read through the infromation available to you at the American Hair Loss Association - and please know that there is hope.

Take care,

Tracy
  13. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Hi Tracy,
    While I know U have great information for a lot of women here, I also want U to know that it isn't always as easy as U think to get to one of these doctors. We wind up having to settle for any old doctor we find & we get disappointed. I have looked into where this type U recommend are & they don't seem to be widespread. The closer ones/one seem to be in New York City, which isn't technically that far away from me; but it may as well be across the country. Even finding one in my own state is far, since I can't travel easily, so I usually can't get to them. This is especially true, if it's going to take more than one visit. Not to mention the expense. However, as I've said before, I plan on finding a way if that "cloning" treatment does become available.

Now I don't know how much access most of the women here have, but if they're stuck like me, what do we do ?

I agree that the first & most important thing to do, is to find out the cause of our hair losses. But after finding out, sometimes it's very easy to feel like giving up & resorting to wearing a wig, or whatever. A lot of us also don't have the patience to use Minoxidil for a year or more, only to watch our hair start to grow in, then watch it shed in order to have it try to start to come back again, & so on. It's very disheartening. U have the strength to go thru it. You've proven that. You've also said it's taken 4 yrs. so far & U still have more to go. It sounds to me like trying to regain your hair has been a full time 4 yr. job, & it may never end. I don't see me having that kind of patience, unfortunately. So I guess I'll be miserable for what's left of my life, unless I can find a way to accept my hair loss. Unless the "cloning" comes about. Then I will move Hell & high water to get to it. I believe it's really the only choice many of us should make. Just like I believe hair transplants are the only real way to do it now. If we're unable to do hair transplants or just can't afford it, we may as well resort to wearing wigs or trying to hide the hair loss in any way we can. If it were as simple as using a shampoo or a cream to get our hair back, I think all of us would've been doing it long ago. But after seeing a Dermatologist & learning our fate, all most of us have been told to do is use Minoxidil. I guess it depends on our type of hair loss, what choices we have. But after reading an awful lot about hair loss over the years, the only real way to get any of it back, is to see if we are a good candidate to get transplants. The rest of the treatments are just a way to go thru a lot of money, for a lot of years, to get nowhere. U yourself have gone for them. This is proof. The other treatments your using didn't seem to help much until U got the transplants. Isn't this so ?
    I think you've been extremely lucky in getting back your hair. I also think you've put a lot of time & money into that success.
    At a certain age, we start to lose all of our hair in all kinds of places. It doesn't want to grow back. I lost the hair on my legs years ago. Yippee...no more shaving, I thought. But I never associated it with hair loss on my head. We just don't have the benefits of youth on our side. Our genes are old. Everything in us is old. And that includes hair follicles. That's why all of these shampoos, etc. just don't work for us. And even the transplants won't take too well anymore. So we may as well get used to wearing wigs or anything available to cover it up. Period.
    God bless U if your still young & suffering with hair loss. U may still have some hope.
  14. Judy Ris

Judy Ris New Member

Hi My name is JudyRis and I have been trying to figure out why my hair has been failing out over the past 5 months. If you find out something I hope you'll pass it on to me. Thank you Judy
  15. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Hi Judy,
    The best I can say to U, is to read as much of the posts on here as U can. There are many tips for U. Some are more hopeful than others.
    U haven't said how much hair your losing or how it's coming out, however. I'm sure that whatever it is, it sure is upsetting U, as well as it upsets all of us.
    One of our "senior" members, by the name of Tracy, has had some success with her hair loss treatments. But even she will tell you that your first step is to see a good doctor (and she recommends the type) to find out what is causing your hair loss. Once U find that out, U should be able to try some treatments that might work for U. The main thing about any treatment, is that U will stick to it & not give up too soon. The other good thing it seems to me about your hair loss, is that it's fairly new. The earlier U catch it, the better it is for U. It seems to be much harder to recover hair if it's been missing too long & has gotten to a severe stage.
    I don't feel so lucky. I also don't have enuff patience to go thru the waiting & the on & off results of several treatments. Once they figure out a treatment that I can get & leave it & it will work, I'll go for it. But until then, for me...I'm not happy with most of the treatments available to us out there. I guess that's why most men with balding heads just give up & wear a cap. Now I understand why. Good luck to U in your search for answers. U may find them here.
  16. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Hi Kathy,
    I know some here won't agree with U, but I certainly do. Even those who have had some improvement are not back to normal as they would like to be. Even what was successful, is not a total improvement, and it will take many more years & many more dollars to even see IF things will get any better later.
    Just becoz a hair stylist says she thinks she sees more hair growing, doesn't mean it's true. She may be saying it for encouragement, knowing how devastating hair loss is for a woman.
    Hair loss totally sucks !! And anybody who doesn't think so, is nuts !!
    What we all need...is a partner who is understanding, caring & thoughtful...who can be patient with all of our disappointments....Yet love us anyway. We also need to learn how to accept the way we now are, coz it doesn't appear that we'll have too much success at changing it. Maybe if we are rich enuff to go thru a lot of different doctors & treatments. Plus have the patience needed, we might have some success. But I doubt it will ever bring us all the way back to where we were. If it were true that it will happen, then most of us would disappear from this site & would never be seen or heard from again. That would be becoz we'd be happy & we'd have our hair back. One story...I have yet to find on this site.
    I sure hope that one day soon I will find it. This is my biggest wish for all of us.
    So until then....we will sport our hair pieces, wigs & scarves until we have enuff confidence to show ourselves to the world in our natural state.
    Love to U all.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  17. Cassy

Cassy Member

Endo

KathyLI
    I also went to Dr. Redmond in NYC for a year. I feel the same way about him. Dont give up on finding an endo because of him. By chance I stumbled upon a wonderfull endo Dr. that thought outside the box not far from my home. Just my luck he retired this year. So my search starts again.
  18. anita roy

anita roy New Member

hair loss

hi m anita ..m suffering from hair loss since 2010 ...i took lots of multivitamins,biotin n uses lots of energisers ,minioxidil,tugain foam ...but my hair loss probs remains d same .my hair falls day by day n cant stop now...it falls through out the head n nobdy daignoses d probs ....my thyroid level is lil bit high ie hypo 6.5 .i m totally fed up from my life ..i just want to be look normal like others ..so plz help me ...m really in trouble...
  19. Cassy

Cassy Member

anita
    Your TSH level is way too high. You need to see an endocrinologist and take some thyroid. That may solve your hair problem. Its a good place to start. Make an appt with a derm and ask for bloodwork but if hairloss does not run in your family it very well may be your thyroid.
  20. Jan Scott

Jan Scott New Member

I am 63 and having the same problem huge hair loss for 2 months. I think it is because we changed the Minoxidil dosages. I went from twice a day to once, then stopped for a few weeks, went back to once a day. Then when two months later the shedding started I went back to twice.... not a good idea!! I had been on Minoxidil for eight years and didn't realize it was still working for me as I had some
    shedding experiences on it.