advice regarding topper: could it be too small?

Discussion in 'Wigs and Toppers' started by cipota100, Jul 11, 2014.

1. cipota100

cipota100 New Member

Hello everyone. I just picked up my custom-ordered topper this afternoon and when I got home with it on, and saw myself in the mirror outside the elevator, I wanted to run and hide. It seems to have way too much hair, and seems to be vertically voluminous, like it does not settle on my head. Has anyone experienced this and is it normal? Is it possible that they got the size wrong and it's too small for my head? Thanks if anyone has any advice or has had any similar experience. The salesperson said that they can take hair out of it if I decide it's too thick.
  2. ClutzyGrace

ClutzyGrace New Member

Are you still around? I'm also a new member and noticed you don't have any answers to this. Have you had any resolution? I will say that the stylist is absolutely key. I bought a good quality topper, and took it to a stylist who claimed she had experience but she ruined it. It was awful. I wanted to run and hide too! I finally took it back to the place I bought it and their stylist added colors, layers, etc and made it much better. It sounds like yours just has too much density for you want or are used to. One idea if you haven't already. First just wear it around the house, look at yourself a lot. Then wear it out where you don't know anyone so they aren't expecting you to look a certain way, unfamiliar stores etc. This might help build confidence and give you a better idea of reactions you're getting. I hope you've had some resolution and are happy with your topper.
  3. cipota100

cipota100 New Member

Hi ClutzyGrace (nice name by the way!) Thanks for your thoughtful reply. A friend of mine took one look at that topper and said I should never go out of the house with it, thus confirming my opinion. I ended up buying another topper at a different place. I brought the first one in to the 2nd wig place to ask her opinion of it. She said that the base was made too small, and that's what made it not sit flush on my head. I bought topper #2 from this 2nd wig place and was not 100% thrilled with it either but its larger base made it better than #1, and yet I did find it also had too much hair so she thinned it down for me. Then about a month ago the place that sold me topper #1 contacted me to ask how I was doing with it. I told her honestly that I never wear it and asked if she would be willing to buy it back from me. She asked me to come in so they could see what they could do for me. To my great surprise she made up a completely new order for a new one, this time with a larger base and less hair, and they are simply going to replace it for me. The replacement topper has not arrived yet; they do them custom-made only. When I get it, I will tell you how it goes. I'm glad that your topper salespeople were able to fix it after that idiot styled it so badly.
  4. ClutzyGrace

ClutzyGrace New Member

Wow, That is awesome! Do you mind if I ask where you went? I live in Minneapolis but also travel for work so I get around! (in a good way). haha I'm still figuring out this site, where/how to post, etc. but I'm going to post a few questions to the other members. So much to learn about this hair stuff and man am I thankful for this website. Cheers to you.
  5. cipota100

cipota100 New Member

Hi CG. Sorry for my delay in getting back to you. Sure, the place that is replacing the topper for me is called Alexis Hair experts, and the place that sold me the one I'm wearing now is called Confident Hair. Stay away from Continental Hair, would be my advice. That was the first place I consulted and the owed, Michael whatever his name is, was quite rude, and their markup is outrageous. Let me know if you'd like more info and we can communicate by email.
  6. ClutzyGrace

ClutzyGrace New Member

Thanks for the info. Toronto is a bit far. I have a few places that are closer that I'm going to try. Hopefully I'll have some luck!