Any stylists or wig stores in PA?

Discussion in 'Hair Loss Friendly Stylists' started by julie012, Dec 29, 2009.

1. julie012

julie012 New Member

Hi all! I live near Philadelphia, PA and I need to find a place for wigs in this area. Things have gotten to the point where I need a wig badly. I need your help in finding someone who can help me. It is beginning to affect my career and my social interactions and I am trying to limit the effect my hair loss has in my life. I know I can be much more confident and do more with my life but this one problem keeps pulling me back. I know you all will understand how I feel. I just can't let my fears and worry about what others will say to me and how I can take the comments with witty remarks be the primary aspect of my life. I think if I have a wig at least I can stop worrying I hope. Can someone who has experience with wigs help me? How do I make it seem natural without becoming the subject of everyone's questioning? Can I get away with it? Please direct me to someone who will understand hair loss and can help me find some solution with wigs? Thanks!!! Lets look forward to a new year of confidence, happiness, and self-respect. What will I do without you ladies and this website??
  2. alogirl64

alogirl64 New Member

Not sure if this will help or not

I recently got a bonded topper. After not leaving the house and only leaving the house for 4 years with a baseball cap on. Stupid huh! I was just too embarrassed to wear wigs, and they just felt gross and fake. I filled in with Toppix for a while too until it just would not fill in any more. I can not tell you how relieved I was to know that I can wash my hair and sleep comfortably for the first time in 4 years, I actually got enough confidence to get a job and be in the public eye ( I had been off of work for 8 years due to illness, and when my hair started coming out in clumps from scarring alopecia, I was just too embarrassed to go back). The public would not even know it isn't my own hair. I am saying this because you sound like you are starting to get just as anxious as I was. I would look into this option rather than wigs. I can't tell you how much I wasted on wigs that I was just not happy with. Just an option for you.I live a couple of hours north of you. There is one place near where I live who sells these types of hair replacement and applies them. I am in the Pottsville area. I don't know how far you are willing to travel. If you would like the number I can give it to you. My topper cost 800 and I had the lady apply it the first time and after the second time, I just applied it myself. The monthly maintenance cost would otherwise be 75 dollars. I did see on the internet that there are at least one or two wig places near the King of Prussia area. But I can assure you you would be better off traveling and paying less outside the Philly area. I myself plan on traveling south of Harrisburg to check out a place I found on the internet called Hair Direct. Their full cap hair systems are much cheaper than what I can find locally. They have been very informative and very supportive and even though they sell their products online, they welcome anyone to come and visit and check out their products right there. I will post again in a few weeks, after I pay a visit and place my order. Good luck!! I know there are also several beauty schools in your area. If worse comes to worse, I would suggest maybe giving a call to them and asking if they are familiar with any hair replacement businesses in and around your area.
  3. kvb927

kvb927 New Member

Hi,

I have done a lot of research on this as I also live in Philadelphia. I went to one very popular place on the Main Line and was not thrilled with it. So, I went somewhere else in the Upper Black Eddy area. I was much happier with the second, but still haven't actually ordered anything. There is another place in North Jersey that people rave about - this place has a great website with beautiful inventory, but the stuff is very pricey. I, myself, do not, at the moment, have $3K to spend on a wig. There are some others I am interested in checking out - one in Northeast Philly. Also, I keep meaning to just drop in places when I'm in Center City - there are a bunch of places in that area, but I don't know about custom service and selection.

Aside from that, my hairdresser has alopecia areata and "gets it."

Send me a PM if you want details. Glad to share...

As for me, at the moment, I am still relying heavily on DermMatch, Nioxin and various hair fastners. I have a "regimen," but it's not worth sharing...

All my best,
    K
  4. julie012

julie012 New Member

HI! Thank you for the information. I have been so busy lately that I have not gotten the chance to even check out the info. What can I say! On top of my hair loss, I have been dealing with family problems as well. I really need to find someone who can custom fit and work with me. I really just want to deal with this and have one less thing to worry about. Truth be told, I sometimes feel that this is often the biggest problem to me althought really bigger problems exist in my life. I don't think anyone other than ppl in this network would understand that feeling. Thank you for the info. Please let me know if you hear any new info.
  5. jab1106

jab1106 New Member

Hi K!
    I just moved to Bucks County and need to find someone who knows how to cut hair to help with hair loss. I have the use of only one arm, so I have to use a dressing stick and a hot air curling brush and hair spray to put any heighth to my hair. I don;t really care for really short hair, but it seems like this is my only alternative. I would like to know who your hair stylist is and maybe make an appointment? Is she in bucks county or do I have to try philly and deal with downtown traffic? Thanks for any help you can give me. Jennifer
  6. jab1106

jab1106 New Member

Thank-you, for your suggestions on wigs. At the present time, however, I am unable to put one on myself. I only have one good usable arm, the other one does not reach up to my head, so I can't actually put one on myself. I know if researchers don't find something more successful to reverse hair loss, it may come to a point where I will have to try it. I haven't looked into bonded toppers--not quite sure what that is, and I am currently using the keratin fiber sprinkles, which really works for me right now. I do, however, wish there was something else available.
  7. Phillygrl

Phillygrl New Member

Help in bucks county

Dear "Jab": I am brand new to this forum. Did anyone tell you where to go in Bucks County for help ? I am also in Bucks and am desperate to find a place than can give natural looking hair toppers or wigs or even help with caring for what little hair I have.Have you found somewhere? I hope Ive written this in the right place. Just learning how to navigate this forum:) Thank You !
  8. jab1106

jab1106 New Member

Dear Phillygirl,
    No, I have not as yet found a place in Bucks county that is reasonably priced, does a great job on women with hair loss, etc. As soon as I do find a place, I will let you know and hopefully, you will for me if you happen to find a place before I do. I have not decided yet to try a topper. I am taking biotin, vitamins, etc. and using the "sprinkles" which work well for now. I have just started supplementing with higher mg. of biotin, so I know that will take time before there is any noticeable difference. Best wishes for success!
  9. Phillygrl

Phillygrl New Member

I promise I will let you know if I find anywhere in Bucks that is kind and not humiliating to walk in to. Preferably lower bucks. Hopefully someone who has been through it will answer on here as well !
    I get up everyday and swear that Im going to just walk in the first place I see in the phone book but then I chicken out. I rarely leave the house and its really affecting my life with my children. Im sure thats a common thread on here.
    Have to hang on to HOPE :) I may try a regular salon in Langhorne just for a trim and any advice. Will let you know how they do.
    Bless You and please know that theres lots of us out here even though it doesnt feel like it .
  10. jab1106

jab1106 New Member

Phyllgrl, I am able to go out and about. Try x-fusion in your hair color. The applicator is not really good, I just sprinkle i on without and it covers better. I use any hairspray. No one can tell my hair is so thin, because the keratin fibers hide it well. I have dark brown hair, almost black, so the x-fusion fibers go down to the scalp and hide it. It will free you from staying home. It's not good to stay home because of this, it will cause such a deep depression. You MUST go out! It wll be okay, I promise.
  11. Phillygrl

Phillygrl New Member

Hi Jab ! Going to break down and order X-Fusion this afternoon. Thanks for the advice ! It wont help how stringy and thin the other hair is, but hiding the scalp will at least be a start.
    Hope all is well with you. I will be home in Lower Bucks soon and will try to begin my search for help again.
    I will check in and let you know if I somehow find a reputable place anywhere in the area.
    For gosh sakes, there's a salon every block !;)You'd think someone would specialize in women with hair loss. Take Care and thanks again.
  12. jab1106

jab1106 New Member

Phillygrl!
    If you are a brunette, the xfusion will really help. I have also been told by a friend that diamax seems to help. It's expensive, but I think I will try it. It is supposed to thicken the strands and make the hair at the roots stand up. When I can buy it and test it out, I will let you know. Of course, maybe we should type "diamax" on this website and see what our colleagues may say about it?
  13. Kyle

Kyle New Member

Hi Alegirl64,

I am at the point where I need a wig too, but I am too embarrased to wear one. Do you need to shave your head to wear a bonded topper? How does this look more natural than a wig?
  14. Tiny

Tiny Member

Hi Kyle, yes you do have to shave parts of your hair for a bonded topper. I've already checked into that. I have a clip on topper, I take it off every night and put it back on each day after I style my own hair. I've been wearing mine now for 2 and a half months and nobody has noticed, not even close family. Only 4 people know about it. Even my son that lives at home still doesn't know I wear it. I got mine at Hairbuilders, it was very expensive, pretty much broke the bank for me but even though i still hate wearing this and knowing I've gotten myself to this point, I would stress a lot more without it.
  15. Kyle

Kyle New Member

Toppers

Hi tiny,

Thanks for your helpful response. My biggest fear would be people noticing I am wearing one, I am curious as to how you make a topper look really natural. For example, how do you make your hairline look natural? I really have no friends or family that could help me with this type of questions and I will soon have to start looking at supplemental hair if my hair keeps shedding at this rate. Thanks so much for your help!
  16. Tiny

Tiny Member

it has a part, mine is parted in the middle. It's real Human Hair and like I said no one has ever asked if I was wearing a hair piece. I'm a little weary about it also, mine has bangs and sometimes when they are down I can see the front edge of it. The hair stylist tells me people will just think its my scalp. I have gone out to dinner on a couple of occasions with family and no ever has ever mentioned it. A lot of times I pin my bangs back because I am afraid it will get noticed, and I think that is why I hate to wear it but it still looks a lot better and healthier then my own right now. It got matched to my own hair color and it blends in with my sides. The only thing my Dad has ever mentioned is that my hair is thick (if he only knew, lol) The stylist de-bulked it (as they call it) but I still think it could use a little more thinning.
  17. Phillygrl

Phillygrl New Member

Hi Jab1106 ! Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. I didnt get to come home to Bucks when I thought I would :(:( But hope to as soon as possible. (Homesickness on top of hairloss, not goo.)
    Wondering if you found or heard of anywhere in the area yet? My hair has gotten so much worse. All the scalp hiding products have become useless because it doesnt hid all of thinness and breakage. Hope things are better for you :) I read in an earlier post that you had lost use of an arm? Hope all is well with that and that someone is helping you. God Bless !
  18. Phillygrl

Phillygrl New Member

Hi Mableswift :)
    Are you replying to the thread about finding wigs and/or a stylist in the Bucks County area?? Can u tell me the name of your place and where it is located ?

Thank You ! :D
  19. Phillygrl

Phillygrl New Member

ok...I guess she wasnt! lol LOTS of weird posts showing up on here l8ly.( Like we dont have enough to deal with. )
    Be careful what you click on ;)
  20. ambermarie22

ambermarie22 New Member

Probably too late

I am from Montgomery county, pa. I have decided it is time to cover up my hair loss with a wig. I keep seeing about a topper but not sure how to go about this. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction. I am new to this forum and just thought I would go through posts to see about suggestions. Please let me know if anyone can help guide me through this.

Thanks,
    Amber