anybody from New York City?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by septembergirl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. septembergirl

septembergirl New Member

I am looking to meet other women with hl in nyc to offer each other support and advice.
  2. teena139

teena139 New Member

Close to NYC - Hoboken

I'm a stones throw away from NYC - in Hoboken...I've been trying to find a female friend who can relate to what I am going through as well..I found a friend from hairloss forum - she is in Atlanta...Do PM me...
  3. homegirl

homegirl Member

Hi, I am in NYC.
  4. Hollywood1682

Hollywood1682 New Member

Nyc

Hi I am in NY - Long Island about 30 min from NYC...
  5. septembergirl

septembergirl New Member

Hi. How are you? I am in Manhattan, in the Gramercy area. Nice to meet you. I am looking for friends with the same problem as mine so that we can give each other support and advice. I have been gong through shedding since May. :-( PM me or email me. I look forward to hearing from you!
  6. septembergirl

septembergirl New Member

Hi Homegirl. Nice to meet you. Where in NYC are you?
  7. homegirl

homegirl Member

New York

I am in Brooklyn. I have always had thin hair. Friends were kind enough to first point it out to me when I was only twenty-seven. Apparently they could see my scalp in the back of my head. I never paid much attention to it and thought I always had pretty good hair until recently when it seemed like all of a sudden my hair began to get visibly thin. I am nearly sixty-years now. I felt like I was chasing the dragon trying to find out why the hair was thinning. All of my blood tests came back negative. I went to three different doctors. Thyroid, Hormones, Lupus ANA testing - everything seems ok. I am dealing the best that I can. I am lucky that this did not happen to me when I was much younger, but I imagine this is difficult at any age.

I have decided to stop chasing the dragon and will probably start wearing hair soon. I want to go on with the rest of my life not thinking about "HAIR" all the time. I recently met a woman who was about thirty five years of age, and her entire face had been badly burned in an accident several years prior. So we must put all of life's challenges in perspective. I look at Angela and Cara on this forum; and some others; and they seem to be doing well. So that is my plan too.
  8. septembergirl

septembergirl New Member

Hi homegirl,
    sorry for not replying sooner. I was in Italy for almost three weeks and had sporadic access to italy. I got back yesterday and i am sad to be back,! I am still in my late thirties so the hair loss is really taking a toll on my mental health. My hair loss is not visible to most (unless I point it out), but my part is wide, my hair thin and the quality of my hair is really crappy. I am going through a shedding phase, which is making me even more miserable. I am still weighting my options, but i think i will need to wear some kind of hair soon bc I feel too self conscious and I am really sick of worrying about my hair. I went to patricia hair salon in Astoria, but they said it is too early to wear a topper and were pushing for extensions (but I have a problem with the top of my head and extensions do not cover that!). what about you? Have you had any consultations with anyone? I know that Patricia hair salon has a comprehensive array of hl solutions, including reprieve which is supposed to be less damaging. I am going to schedule a consultation with dreamhairofny to see what they have to say.
    It is difficult to put things into perspective for me bc i am still too young to lose hair and I feel different from my peers. I wish i could, but I am nowhere close to acceptance at this point. Glad to hear that you are able to put things into perspective and that you are not too upset about your hair loss.
  9. homegirl

homegirl Member

Toppers

Welcome back - I hope you enjoyed your trip.

For my topper I went to Joseph Fleischer on Fifth Ave and 30th St. NYC. The topper cost $2,800. It may seem like a lot of money, but it was well worth it. My sister in law is a hairdresser, and she said I got my monies worth.

No one can tell you if it is too early for a topper. My boyfriend said I did not need it, but now that I have it, he agrees with me- I look great! It is better to get one while you still have a decent amount of hair. I figured it was like an insurance policy. I did not even intend to wear it at first, but now I wear it every day.

I realize that you are 1/2 my age, and our life challenges are different, but I am still very active - a fitness fanatic - so I wonder what will happen in warmer weather when I jog - will I wear my topper or just a cap?

It does change your life somewhat,but we deal.

Keep it in perspective - once you get used to wearing hair it becomes less of a big deal. Remember - no one has to know except you! You will see Wesley if you go to Joseph Fleischer, and you will be very pleased with the final result. He will work with you until you are happy. He is very understanding and compassionatel
  10. septembergirl

septembergirl New Member

It is great that you found a topper that you like and you feel comfortable in. Is it comfortable? I heard some women who were wearing clip on toppers complain that it hurt. It looks like you have accepted your hair loss and it is great! It is not that easy for me because my problem began in may and this is still new (nobody has this problem in my family, so it was also totally unexpected). I am trying to cling to every strand (I have a shedding problem) and I get really depressed especially in the morning when I wash my hair (I have to wash it every day bc clean hair looks fuller). I would rather wear a topper that I can sleep and shower in though...I just want to forget about the hair loss and stop torturing myself. Does the place you went to offer the semi-permanent option?
    Have a great day!
  11. homegirl

homegirl Member

Topper

Hi, I believe Joseph Fleischer now offers semi-permanent option, and you can discuss that. I do not sleep in mine - I imagine the clips would hurt. What I do when the weather is cold is wash my hair in the morning put on my warm winter cap and carry my hair to work in a baggie (it's curley and short and I just spray it w. water when I get to work. Wearing winter hats makes it hurt where the clips are and the hair needs to be styled once the hat comes off anyway. I do the same thing when I leave work. It is not an easy adjustment, believe me. Sometimes I say why me! - but most of the time I keep a positive attitude. Although I have had thin hair all my life, it was not an issue until recently. Back in 2008 I lost 20 pounds, but the hair that I lost with the weight loss, grew back. I thought it grew because I started taking a vitamin called viviscal. I continued to take viviscal, but then this past Summer I noticed my hair had gotten thin again. I freaked out - had all the blood tests imaginable, but everything came back normal. I went through all of the emotions - thinking about it all day long, running to the mirror at work 10 times a day - stressing. But MOST of that ended after I started wearing hair. Once I get home at night and remove the hair and see the wide part and thinning areas I get a little depressed. But I put my music on- work out and then I feel better.

Have you checked out KAT's page? She makes toppers for $700. Check her out on the Toppers subject.
  12. septembergirl

septembergirl New Member

Hi. Thank you for the suggestions. May be I will look into the place you went to. I also inquired about the smart part with one place. Have you heard about it? I envy your positive attitude. I don't think I could deal with putting the topper on and then take it off at night. Then again I don't know if I can deal with a semipermanent one especially if it is uncomfortable! I will keep researching it and i will go for a consultation to a few other places. The shedding is really killing me. Did you go through a shed?
    where do you live? I live in the Murray Hill area in Manhattan.
  13. homegirl

homegirl Member

Toppers

I will be in Murray Hill tonight, you should take a look.

What is a smart part?

I constantly shed. I have a white tiled kitchen floor that I am obsessive about cleaning. I hate it when I find a hair or two on the floor.

Please don't envy me because of my positive attitude. If you want to have a positive attitude you will get there. It is the healthiest way to be after all - right? We can deal with more than we think. You will see - chin up - you can do whatever you set your mind to do.
  14. homegirl

homegirl Member

15. septembergirl

septembergirl New Member

Hi Homegirl,
    Thank you so much for the link. I went in for a consultation at Peter Luois Salon (57th and Lexington) yesterday and they suggested extensions on the top of my head. Of course it is an affordable option (btw 300 and 600 in my case since they wouldn't use many strands), but how is that gonna cover my part? I have an appointment to discuss a smart part next week with someone else. Have you heard about it? It is a small piece of hairwear that only covers the part (no shaving or bonding, but you would have to go in for service every month). I am keeping all my options open.
    I hope you are enjoying your Sunday.
  16. homegirl

homegirl Member

Hi SeptemberGirl

Your hair looks good on your network photo; and you are very beautiful. Since you mentioned the smart part, I googled it. It is like a smaller version of a topper - from what I can see. If you get extentions, l hope it works for you.

Maybe your hair will grow back when you find the solutions to your low iron etc. Mine most likey will not. My health appears to be good - so with me it's probably my age (sixty-one), and heredity. My dad had very thin hair. My mom had very thick hair until she was about 86 years of age. When she died last year at age 89 she had more hair that I presently do.

What did you think of the link I provided. I looked at Susan's videos. Her books and videos etc seem costly, but maybe well worth it. If I decide to do bonding, I should learn how to do it myself. Right now I am not there, and hope not to be but one never knows.
  17. septembergirl

septembergirl New Member

Hi Homegirl,
    thank you for the compliment. Yes, the smart part is a very tiny tiny version of the topper and it just covers the part area. I don't know the extent of your hair loss but instead of bonding, which entails shaving your hair, you could try something like this. They also have bigger pieces for those who need more coverage. http://metropolitanhairusa.com/images/catalog/HairWear.pdf
    I would try those options before shaving my hair off if I were you. What I will do to cover my hl depends on the diagnosis. The worst part about this ordeal is the amount of shedding. It seems never to stop and my scalp is very sensitive. I think i have aga (although no female in my family line across generations seems to have suffered from it), but my dad's hair was thinner in his 50's (he was not bald but when he was young he had too much hair, so he had lost some and his hairline was receding). Since fpb is a recessive gene it still puzzles me how I got it...tough luck. I have a dermatologist appointment on the 27th and I will push for a biopsy. Next Thursday I have a thyroid biopsy (to rule out cancer which runs in my family) because they found a large nodule (the endo said she doesn't think it is related to HL bc my TSH, t3 and T4 are in the normal range). Instead of worrying about this, I am here worrying about my hair. Is that ridiculous or what?
  18. homegirl

homegirl Member

SeptemberGirl, Thanks for the link. I had nice hair until the end of last Summer, then it quickly started shedding, not hanfulls, but just my finding hair everywhere. You ask is it ridiculous to worry about hair when there are other possible problems? No. Extra hair makes us look better, it gives life to our face, our personalities, confidence, and general health. However, it is good to rule out the other possible causes. I certainly hope you are healthy.

Thanks for the advice, I am not going to shave my hair for bonding just yet since I just spent $2,800 plus a decent tip for my first topper. And I am not so sure I want to sleep in my extra hair. If necessary I may go to a full wig. My hair loss is diffuse.

Be well.
  19. septembergirl

septembergirl New Member

Do you mean you began to lose hair in summer 2011? I started to lose hair in May. That year and the previous year I had a lot of stomach issues and I was very sick for most of the time and it was very difficult for me to eat. This made me very depressed and stressed (it sucks to suffer from nausea, heartburn 24/7) when I was previously a happy person. I think this kicked in AGA (a doctor did a triciscopy on me and he said i had miniaturized hairs and hence the AGA diagnosis). that was a shock since I never would have expected that since no woman had that issue before in my family. My hair is my identity that is why I feel so depressed and that is why I would like to solve this issue asap even with a cosmetic option. My thinning is on top and my hair has good density in the back. That is why a small topper should work. I am afraid of using one with clips because i have been told it could cause traction alopecia. Would you ever bond a wig if it came to that? Hopefully, our HL will never reach that point. You said that your hair is thinning all over, but AGA is mostly on top. Are you sure you ruled out other conditions such as deficiencies (zinc deficiency and B vit def. can cause diffuse HL). I want to try to supplement with reservatrol and curcumin (it should calm down inflammation and studies have shown that it can halt inflammation and shedding in some people with AGA or TE).
  20. homegirl

homegirl Member

Cumin /Tumerik

Hi Septembergirl
    I hope you are in good spirits. I ordered the two supplements that you advised, (Cumin/Tumeric) but now I cannot find where you posted it. Can you tell me the dosage that is required. I will try them and see if it helps.