anybody from New York City?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by septembergirl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. gin6

gin6 New Member

Hi, Long Islander here! would love to chat, get direction on docs, hair places, etc. thanks
  2. gin6

gin6 New Member

to suzanneb, i'm on long island too, i'm on my third derm. one was very very quick, one didn't know and referred me to a third. if you still need a derm, i'll give you his name. so far so good only had one visit and go again next week.
  3. purplemainst

purplemainst New Member

Hi,

Another Long Islander here. This is such a painful experience and would love it to meet with some folks who are living through this. Family and co-workers have been unbelievably supportive, haven't had the strength to face friends yet.

I am fairly far advanced in losing hair, big bald front on head and moving fast through the mid scalp now. Trying anything to keep the hair I have left.

Tried Wigs, hair pieces but this threw me into a total mental collapse. Could not function with these, so moved to scarfs, which helped me get to work everyday, but not much else. Now found a wide cotton headband, which is ok and I feel more like myself with it.

Looking for advice on coping and good local doctors.

Thanks
  4. 20izz12

20izz12 New Member

Hello,

I am from NYC. My hair loss started in 2012. It's stress related hair loss which has shed very rapidly and more than 60% of my hair is gone.
    Can anyone here help me find a full service salon where they have toppers?
    I have never purchased a wig and I don't think I'm ready for a full wig. I want to go for a topper, something that will blend with my own thin hair that's left.
    I am so tired of wearing my hair in a ponytail all the time.

I would like to also meet up with someone from here who's looking to get a buy a wig or topper too. We can go together and help each other out.
  5. 20izz12

20izz12 New Member

Just looked into freeda wigs and Irene's wig. Anyone here know about these two places?
  6. alix

alix New Member

hello NYC area

Hello! I've been reading this for a while but have never written, I'm from NYC (actually Hoboken) and have had hair loss since I was about 18. My hair is barely there, it's like a toddlers hair, thin, wispy and sheds like crazy. My pony tail is miniature and I want to cry every time I feel that horrible tickle of a hair on my arm or shoulder (which is pretty much most of the time.)

Anyway, I'm grateful for this site and to see there are lots of beautiful women who share this condition. If anyone would be interested in meeting up in NYC, I'd love to be part of it.
  7. Keren

Keren New Member

I am in Brooklyn and would love to meet up with someone. I'm sure my friends notice, but I don't want to put this burden on them so it would be great to meet with someone who understands.

I am 29 and have been dealing with this for 2 years. Everyone told me I was crazy when it first started, but now no one mentions anything because it's so obvious :(

Anyways, let me know if anyone would like to get coffee/tea some evening!
  8. safetyfirst

safetyfirst New Member

Hi Keren, I am in Hoboken and would like to get together with someone who is experiencing hair loss so I don't feel so alone.
  9. Rusty1982

Rusty1982 New Member

I am from Long Island and feel so alone.. I don't know how to deal with this anymore.
  10. Keren

Keren New Member

Do you have anyone in your life who knows what you are going through? Right now, I just have my mother who understands and has been dealing with it for years, but I don't have anyone in my immediate circle. And it's really hard because my job is so visible and I'm always in meetings and I'm sure people are noticing and I can't talk to them about it so we all ignore it and it's awful :(
  11. Rusty1982

Rusty1982 New Member

Has anyone tried anything to hide it?
  12. Keren

Keren New Member

I'm just getting to the point where I need to start thinking about it. I have a few hairstyles I go to which work for now, but it's not a permanent solution. Looking for good tips!
  13. Rusty1982

Rusty1982 New Member

What makes your stylists good? I get more anxiety after I get my hair done. Where do you go?
  14. Keren

Keren New Member

Ah, I meant different styles not stylists. There is a lovely young stylist in Brooklyn (Little Axe) who once experienced hair loss due to a medication and thus is very empathetic and gentile, which soothes the anxiety but I can't say that she's any better dealing with cutting thin her than anyone else.
  15. Rusty1982

Rusty1982 New Member

Oh yea... I don't know what to do. Just want to never leave my house. I wish someone had an answer for a real good solution
  16. safetyfirst

safetyfirst New Member

I talked to my boyfriend, who has been in England since before this crisis happened, and won't be back for another 3 weeks, my sister, who used to be a hairdresser, my son, my father, and a co-worker. I had blood work done. All the tests showed normal, but my ferritin level is 31. I went to Philip Kingsley "clinic" in Manhattan, which I believe was a waste of money. I left there feeling depressed. I went to Hair Place NYC... They specialize in thinning hair and cancer patients. I felt it was reasonably priced. The people there were wonderful. I tried on some toppers and they looked great. I bought DermMatch there, and a volumizing spray which worked well. I left there feeling like a million bucks. I work with the public so my appearance is really important to me. I also bought some Bumble and Bumble dry shampoo spray in brown to spray on scalp.
  17. Rusty1982

Rusty1982 New Member

What kind of toppers? Did anyone notice you were wearing them? I just purchased the bumble and bumble not too sure about it yet. It comes off very easily. Is your hair very obviously thin? What did your sister say since she was a hairdresser?
  18. safetyfirst

safetyfirst New Member

Also, a week ago I had the worst haircut ever. I went to SuperCuts or something like that out of desperation. The dingbat hairdresser actually thinned my hair out even more! My hairdresser at Hair Place NYC fixed it as much as she could. I'm trying to work my way into a stacked bob, but the lousy hairdresser cut too much of my hair for that. Rusty, I would recommend you go there. I don't think you would feel anxious there. Where on Long Island are you?
  19. safetyfirst

safetyfirst New Member

You can see my scalp in places. Also I have cow licks in the back, and those spots are where the scalp is most visible. It's hard for me to put DermMatch on those spots because I have to use a mirror. I'm thinking about asking my co-worker to do it for me in the morning.

About the toppers... I only tried them on in the salon. My gal took me to a private room and patiently spent about an hour with me and 3 different toppers. Then I had my hair washed and conditioned, then cut and styled. I was there for about 2 hours total, and the haircut was only $85.

I learned a lot that day. I doubt that anyone would notice it's a topper unless they wear one themself.
  20. safetyfirst

safetyfirst New Member

I only talked to my sister about it 2 days ago, via phone. She hasn't seen me since Xmas. I noticed my hair loss around a week after that. I used to henna my hair for years, now I am afraid to. I have about 20% grey, and the gray was making the situation look worse, so I called her to find out what hair color she had been using before she decided to stop dying and just go gray. It is called Surya Henna and it is semi-permanent, will probably last a month, it is very gentle.