Armour Thyroid

Discussion in 'Thyroid' started by Elissa, May 7, 2009.

1. Elissa

Elissa New Member

Just curious if anyone else here takes Armour Thyroid for Hypothyroidism. I used to take Synthroid for years, but switched to Armour in 2008, coincidentally the same time my hair loss started. I honestly have no idea if the med switch triggered my hair loss (This is also the same exact time I came off of birth control pills.. another possible trigger).. but it is to my understanding that Synthroid is notorious for hair loss and NOT Armour... so it's werid that my hair loss started after switching to Armour.

So just curious.. Anyone else take Armour? Or even more specifically, has anyone's hair loss been triggerred by a change in thyroid medications?
  2. pamiam

pamiam New Member

Hi. I took Synthroid for 18 years and after childbirth it stopped helping. I switched to Armour but had to add compounded T4 and did better than ever. Then it stopped working. Went back to Synthroid and got worse. Now I am back on the Armour/T4 but my hair is falling out in handfuls. I also found out I have low iron. My scalp is so painful and I really don't understand what is happening. I was told it was TE, but that was six years ago. MOST people do well on Armour.
  3. mymanego

mymanego New Member

I was on Synthroid for a year and didn't see any improvement in my complaints that are supposed to be a result of hypothyroidism. Then I asked to be placed on Armour because I had heard such good things about it. Not long after that I got on Cortisol for adrenal fatigue and now my hair loss is worse than ever! I called the dr's office in a panic and they just increased my Cortisol but it hasn't helped. I almost wish I could just stop everything. I'll be seeing the doctor this week and see if there's any hope. If I learn anything of interest I'll be posting in the forum.
  4. Julie Anne

Julie Anne New Member

How long did you have hypothyroidism before you got your adrenals tested? I'm having thyroid issues that are yet to be formally diagnosed and I'm wondering if I should ask for a test of my adrenals?

I posted my story on looking for advice from women who have more experience with hypothyroidism. If any of you could read my story and help me it would be sooo appreciated.

http://forum.womenshairlossproject.com/showthread.php?t=990
  5. saniaa83

saniaa83 New Member

Armour Thyroid is a type of hormone replacement therapy.

It differs from other therapies in two important ways:

It is a natural product—not a synthetic compound
    It provides both of the key thyroid hormones levothyroxine (T4) and L-triiodothyronine (T3).
    Your doctor may prescribe Armour Thyroid if you have had problems with a synthetic therapy or, if you or your doctor prefer natural products. So, whether you are beginning treatment for hypothyroidism or being switched from another product, the following information about Armour Thyroid will be helpful.
  6. Julia David

Julia David Member

Armour (a mix of T4 and T3) is over-prescribed. It should be used only if your cells have a problem converting T4 to T3. If you have classic hypothyroidism (thyroid having touble producing T4) then you should be on Levothyroxine(T4).