Boston area custom wig maker?

Discussion in 'Wigs and Toppers' started by Evelyntrav, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

Currently, I travel to New York City to wig maker. He is terrific and makes custom wigs with human hair. They are costly, about $4,000, but comfortable and very natural looking. Since I have moved from NY to Boston, I would like to try a wig maker here, or closer than NY. Does anyone know if there is one around?
  2. saratee

saratee New Member

did you find anyone?
  3. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

Custom wig maker

I haven't found anyone. There has to be someone but no success on this board. If you know of a wigmaker, please post.
  4. saratee

saratee New Member

I am going to schedule an appointment at the Salon at 10 Newbury. They seem to be the only one with decent reviews. Another place is Pk Walsh in Needham. It's a little far but if Salon at 10 doesn't work out, I'll give that a try
  5. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

Let me know if you are pleased. I think these salons sell ready-made wigs and adjust them. If so, I was unhappy with those and I went to a highly recommended place when I lived in NY and in CT.

The person I go to in NY is amazing. He starts by making a net cap which he fits to your head. When he is pleased with the fit, we pick out hair from several samples, usually 5 batches from 5 different donors, all Eurpoean. Then he has the hair woven onto the cap and because it is from 5 different people it looks natural with its variations. Then I go back for a cutting. I use tape to attach it to my scalp. It never moves and I am so used to it I don't even realized I'm wearing it. I wear it all day, every day. Also, it is easy to wash and dries overnight.

I don't know of a local person who does this kind of work, but certainly would like to find someone.
  6. saratee

saratee New Member

that sounds brilliant! can you share the name of this custom wig maker? also how long does it take him to create the wig? i have a vacation planned starting december 22 for three weeks and i am freaking out because i am meeting my husband's family and my hair loss has gotten pretty bad over the past few months (since i got on the pill). I really want nice hair before then.
  7. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

wig maker in NYC

I go to Ralph Mollica, 511 R 75th St, between York and River, 212-535-6735. I don't know how fast he can make it as I go several months before I think I will need it. He has made 6-8 wigs for me over the past 20+ years. If you want to talk about it, email me at my email address as I don't want to post my phone here. evelynandsteve@hotmail.com.
  8. saratee

saratee New Member

He seems like the real deal and i plan on setting up an appointment with him soon. I read that he makes only one custom wig at a time so depending on how many orders he is processing, it could take a couple of months to get the piece.

I was reading an article online that Ralph Mollica and another NYC wig maker Claire Grunewald make the ferrari of wigs. My suggestion is to stay with him as women from as far as the west coast fly in to see him. The $4000 he charges is not expensive given that clinics selling ready-to-wear pieces charge the same (if not more)

Thank you SO SO much for recommending Ralph. I have a great feeling about him.

I still have an appointment with Salon at 10 this saturday so i can get something for my december vacation. I'll let you know how that works out.
  9. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

boston area wig maker

Did you go to the Salon as planned? Were you pleased?
  10. saratee

saratee New Member

I went to the salon at 10 as planned and was seen by the owner patricia. She has a main salon where she sees all clients and a private area where she sees women suffering from hair loss and i found that very thoughful. She inspected my hair and determined that i wasn't a great candidate for a full wig since i had too much hair and recommended a topper(or toppette) instead. She uses follea toppers and i tried them on in the salon that day. she didn't have any in my hair color so we basically ended up ordering one for me. In the next appointment, I was fitted with the topper and given guidlines on wearing it. A stylist from the main salon also came in and cut the topper for me. the quality of the topper is really good and it matches with my natural hair texture and color. The topper has snap clips all around it and one problem is that you can see a clip through the place i usually part.

I wore it once with the hair parted on the left, and placed it behind my hairline. Maybe i am not used to having something like this on my head or maybe it did look odd, but i wasn't too happy. I was on the street and basically felt like everyone knew i was wearing a wig. Also my hubby immediately guessed that i was wearing a topper, so that scared me off.

Last weekend, i wore it with my hair pulled back (also behind the hairline) when we went to see a movie. It actually looked pretty good and undetectable when i first wore it. Mid-way through the movie, i went for a bathroom break. Under the bathroom lights, you could pretty clearly see where the topper started and it looked weird.So basically i am still not comfortable wearing it / used to styling it so it doesn't show through. But quite honestly I will probably never wear it infront of people i know because i'll be too conscious. I wanted to wear it at my wedding reception in pakistan but my husband suggested against it because he wasn't convinced that it looked real and he didn't want me to be in a weird situation where ppl were asking why i was wearing a wig.

But to cut a long story short, patricia has some good options. she has follea wigs and also some really nice bangs which are almost like toppers (actually even better) . I paid 1600 for my follea topper and the "easifringe" bangs cost $200(ish). and the easifringe is basically a topper with a bang. Later on i kinda felt stupid ordering the follea topper without looking at the easifringe option. but it was probably their job to tell me.
  11. saratee

saratee New Member

^okay i really rambled there. I would recommend paying salon 10 a visit and seeing patricia. ask her to show you all the options she has and see if you like them. You'll feel very comfortable in the salon and the stylists are very friendly.

I am still debating whether i should return and buy the easifringe option. It's not too expensive but would need to be dyed and cut which is an extra hasstle+ cost and will end up in the $400 range. and that makes me wonder whether it is worth buying it just to see if i will like it and IF i will wear it.
  12. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. Since my hair loss is almost total, toppers or bangs are not appropriate for me. I can see why you bought it as in principle it should work. When I had partial hair loss, Ralph make a wig for me that was basically a fitted approx 10" cap with hair over which I combed my personal hair and then wore a headband. Would that approach work with your topper? I was able to this for 5 or 6 yrs until I had significant hair loss and then went to a full wig. I was comfortable with the cap style from Day 1. And I am totally comfortably with the full wig using special double-stick tape.
  13. saratee

saratee New Member

^That's a great suggestion. That will certainly work with my topper since it is also a 10' piece for my crown. I'l also try replacing the clips with the double stick tape since the clips pull on my hair and i am afraid it'll give me traction alopecia.

The salon also carried the "gripper" by Follea which is a full wig that follea claims never falls off. The inside of the wig/cap (sorry i am not too familiar with the correct terms), is lined with some silicon type sections that make the wig fit very snuggly on your head. I've read some good reviews on it. They also had a few other types of full wigs but i didn't ask about too many details regarding those.
  14. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

Tape

I get the tape from an online website, Vapon TopStick strips. You will need to sew a patch onto the topper as the tape will not stick to netting. Also, you really do need a bald spot to stick it to your scalp otherwise it is hurts alot when stuck to hair. When I used it partial wig the way I suggested, there was a comb attached to the top front and I used the clips for the rest.

Do you have thinning hair or some kind of medical condition. I have LPP (lichen plano pilaris).
  15. saratee

saratee New Member

I've had gradual diffuse thinning over the past 10-15 years. I first noticed my thinning as a freshman in college back in 2001 but i think i had thinning even before that. My brother has exactly the same problem as myself and so does a female cousin. I recently started trying to camoflouge the thinning. I have hair extensions to add fullness below the crown and i use a combination of dry shampoo(batiste), derma match/toppik, and bumble and bumble powder to make my crown look fuller. for my wedding, I had microlinks put into my crown. They are essentially single hairs that are individually knotted to each hair. I don't think they made much difference and most fell out. I am considering giving them another shot at my cousin's wedding in the summer.
    How about yourself? are you still wearing the piece that ralp made or have you found an alternative?
  16. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

today

Seems like you have been dealing with this for some time, too. Annoying isn't it? Yet, amazing how we deal with it and get on enjoying life. After all, it's only hair and not a body organ or part.

I have several pieces that Ralph made. No wig looks well after a couple of yrs of constant wearing. I keep the older ones for the beach, hiking, bike riding. I have tried two commercial wigs that were custom tailored to fit and neither was comfortable and I was always tugging at them. Once his is on, I forget all about it until I'm home for the evening. Since the human hair gripper wig costs almost as much as Ralph's wigs, I doubt if I'll change any time soon. Although, when I'm in the mood, I'll make an appt with The Salon and check it out.

One of the concerns I have with a commercial wig, is that mine in naturally curly and the commercial ones are mostly straight or permed.

When I go to Ralph's in NYC, I can do it in one day. I take the early bus from Alewife and then a 4:00 bus to come home.
  17. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

today

Sounds like you have dealt with it just fine. Some people agonize for yrs. I'm happy I'm over that stage.

No wig looks good after a couple of yrs. Ralph has made about 10 for me and I keep the older ones for the beach, hiking, etc. I wear it from the moment I leave the house in the morning until I'm home for the night and never need to touch it. The two commercial ones that were custom fitted for me, annoyed me as I was always tugging and adjusting. Since the gripper human hair wigs cost almost as much as Ralph's, I'm staying with him for the time being. However, I might make an appt with Salon and see what they have to offer.

I live in Lexington, Where do you live?
  18. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

Oops

I thought I lost my first post, so second one is a duplicate... almost.
  19. saratee

saratee New Member

I live in somerville ,very close to davis square. It's a pretty busy area and we are mostly surrounded by students, but thankfully it's not too noisy. We are still deciding where we'd like to ultimately move and have been putting off house hunting since summer!

Lexington is a really nice location, I usually go there to do my groceries from wilson farms. If you haven't already done so, you should definitly pay them a visit.
  20. Evelyntrav

Evelyntrav New Member

I live about 1 mile from Wilson Farms. Surprisingly, I am not a big fan of the place and prefer to go to a much smaller version called Wagon Wheels, especially because they have fresh fish (not packaged). Next time you are in the area, let me know if you are interested in meeting in town for coffee.