Can't find help... What do I do?

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by mm28, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mm28

mm28 New Member

Hi,

My story is pretty long so I'll try to shorten it as much as possible. Btw, I'm so glad I found this website!!!

Three years ago we moved here in NC and I think I started noticing an increase in shedding about a year after we moved in. My husband had just left for Iraq and I had just gotten an IUD so I didn't really know if it was stress or the BC method. Also, I have 2 kids with autism and 1 with ADD/dyslexia so I'm pretty stressed out on a regular basis. Pretty used to it actually by now. Anyway... About a year and a half ago I noticed a steady increase in how much I was losing in the shower. My husband and friends told me not to worry, that all people lose hair when they shower, but I had never lost this much hair in the shower. In fact, I can never remember a time in my life where I lost hair at all and visibly noticed it.

Soon after this steady pickup I decided to remove the IUD because I hated it and got back on Loestrin FE. I had been on Loestrin before I had my son. In fact I was on Loestrin nonstop, no breaks for a period, for over 8 months before I got pregnant with my son. During this time I never experienced hair loss. When I went on it again this time I think I was on it for 4 months. By this time my husband had left again for Iraq, but this time I was beginning to see my scalp. I decided to stop it for 2 months and see what happens. My hair loss slowed a little but didn't seem to change all that much so I went back on the pill for 1 week. By the end of that first week I was dropping so much hair that I could really see my scalp where my part was. The thing about my hair loss is that I can tell I am losing it on the sides but it is the most noticeable where the part is and I actually have what feels like bug bites all up and down my part line. My part line itches like crazy most of the time but I'm afraid to scratch it because I'm afraid hair is going to fall out.

I've been to a dermatologist who told me that I have genetic hair loss but none of the females in my family have hair loss. In fact they all have full flowing hair. (I'm adopted so I had to search for this information.) The dermatologist told me to go on Rogaine, which kinda ticked me off cause it was like she was brushing me off. She just looked at me and that was it. I don't even know what else to do. Where else to go??? I've had every test there is known to man within the last year because I had several inflammatory issues over the last year and my TSH was checked and was fine. I think if I walked into my PCM's office and told him I had another problem he would roll his eyes and daydream as I told him about this story, as I am sure he considers me one of "those" patients.

I should mention that we have well water here and recently I had it checked and found it had a large amount of pollutants in it. We changed our filtration system and it is an awesome quality now but it has only been a week. I'm beginning to think I may have a large combination of problems contributing to all of this but I really don't know how to get the help I need to 1) Find out what caused it, and 2) Find the solution to fix it.

I know this is a lot but maybe someone out there knows what I can do to stop it. I appreciate all the help I can get!!!! Thanks in advance :)

Michele
  2. kawawa

kawawa New Member

Doctor's get mean when they feel helpless. It is just their way.

I am thinking that the well water could be the reason for many of your family's issues.

If you have a septic system you should have the soil tested. It may be seeping into your water and if your kids play in the yard it can cause serious health related issues with you whole family.

Hang in there.
  3. mm28

mm28 New Member

Thanks for responding!

Actually when I got the well system done I also got the septic system looked at to make sure I didn't have any leakage. The septic field is working properly and is no where near my well but that doesn't mean I didn't have a problem before I changed the system.

The kids were diagnosed long before we moved here so I'm sure that the water system didn't cause their learning issues but it definitely hasn't helped. Long before this I became a big stickler about omitting food additives and only eating organic food products, and they have only been drinking bottled water anyway because I wanted the best for them. My husband and I, however, have always filled up our cups from the fridge which is well water.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that along with the bumps on my scalp, it hurts to move my hair in certain spots and in other parts it burns. I just don't know where to go to find a resolution. Any suggestions as to who else I would turn to in this situation for answers? Obviously my dermatologist doesn't give a hoot... is their another branch of medicine I should be looking for?
  4. NoraBe

NoraBe New Member

Just had to say after reading tons about birth control pills I think it was the Loestrin that caused your hair loss maybe talk to your gyno about chosing a different one? I'm trying to figure it out too & my scalp feels itchy & is starting to burn at times too especially when I use the nioxin...good luck!