Clip in topper

Discussion in 'Wigs and Toppers' started by jamjar, Sep 29, 2013.

1. jamjar

jamjar New Member

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I've posted here, but I was really hoping to get some advice on clip in toppers.

I've just bought my first topper (a follea topette} and was pretty pleased with it after having it cut in at the salon I bought it from. However, now I've got it home I'm struggling to clip it in securely and style it. It pretty much looks like a I've got a dead cat on my head.:eek:

Is there a knack to clipping it in? I feel like not enough of my hair is being caught in the clips and that it's not lying flat enough on my head.

If anyone has any advice on how they clip their toppers in and how they style them I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
  2. Beliza

Beliza New Member

Congratulations on your topette! I have a Follea too, it's really nice hair. You can secure clips by spraying hair spray on them, teasing your biohair a bit, pulling it horizontally along the hairline rather than towards the top of your head, and snapping the clip shut when the spray is still wet. Or use strong hair gel, like Got2Be Glue Spiking Gel or Freezing Spray, or Paul Mitchell. If you don't like clips, you can also sew in wire combs. If you sew them in all around, by stretching the topper a little bit you can get them to stay on securely. Teasing and product also help securing the combs.

I know the dead cat feeling :D. If you feel the hair is too bushy in comparison with your own hair, try Macadamia hair mask. I haven't used it myself, but hear great stories about how soft it makes the hair. Personally I use sulfate-free shampoo and silicone-free conditioner, which makes it dry up sleek with lots of movent. But the hair does get voluminous over time.

Let us know how you get on!
  3. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

Yeah kinda. It comes with practice. I have found that if I use a hair band to hold the hair up it makes it a whole lot easier to blend it in and get it on securely and comfortable. Here is a link to a Youtube video that helped me.

http://youtu.be/dEGu8yfiAsU
  4. jamjar

jamjar New Member

Hi Beliza and Tracy. Thanks so much for your advice, I hadn't thought of using hairspray on the clips, will definately be giving all your tips a go. I have a particularly thin patch on one temple, so was a bit worried that there just wasn't enough hair to clip it in securely, but fingers crossed I will get the hang of it and it'll be OK.

Styling it was a little easier this morning (using straighteners), and I did wear it to work for the first time, convinced that everyone would notice straight away, but I actually think I got away with it! All I got were a couple of comments that I suited having my hair down, and had I just had it cut. Weird. However, I was so nervous and pre-occupied with my hair that I failed to notice I had toothpaste right down my top:D never mind, you can't win them all!
  5. Beliza

Beliza New Member

I'm glad your first day wearing the topper went well! The toothpaste was a cunning distraction, like large earrings. ;)

You can re-sew the clips in spots where you have more hair. They are usually sewn at the temples, but those are the sparsest spots for me.
  6. jamjar

jamjar New Member

Thanks Beliza! am thinking large earring might have been a bit more glamerous than my toothpaste Jackson pollack!

Tried your tip with the hairspray this morning, it felt much more secure, so thank you.
    :)
  7. Beliza

Beliza New Member

You're welcome, I'm glad to hear it helps! :)