compassionate place to get wigs in pa

Discussion in 'Rants and Venting' started by needhope, Apr 18, 2015.

1. needhope

needhope New Member

I am new to the forum. If anyone can help me find a place in pa near Montgomery or bucks county where they carry human hair wigs you can try on, are private and compassionate could you please respond.
    I have trouble leaving the house and am very embarrassed. I have found places that do wigs but don't have any on hand to try on. I have wavy hair and want to match it as close as possible.
    I was suggested a topper however the clips are really painful and my hair loss is all over the head.
    I am feeling hopeless and suicidal and leaving the house is some thing I rarely do. Thanks for any information.
  2. Baker

Baker New Member

I am very sorry you are going through this. I am a new member as well, and just yesterday was railing--yelling at the top of my lungs--all the ways that I hate hair loss, while driving in my car. Sometimes I've prayed to get perspective upon how this type of "loss" relates to all the other kinds of "loss" people can experience in this world. I have at times felt truly calm, but then I've gone back to focusing upon what I feel is an attack upon my identity. I think you have to find different strategies for getting by on different days. On the days when I have a hard time praying, and I feel unable to get perspective, I try to get busy with something else. (I took an additional part time job in response to this ordeal.) Sometimes I take comfort in just thinking about all of the beautiful, very feminine women, who choose to "wear hair," or in the fact that there are cultures in which wig-wearing is the norm. (This is how I've come to think of Dolly Parton and Orthodox Jewish women as role models :) I've also been surprised, since my experiences began, to find myself noticing a lot of other women with this issue. I didn't see their hair loss before. Now I found myself interested in the ways that they work creatively to look and feel feminine. (One young teacher I've noticed, wears gorgeous scarfs wrapped around her head. I like the Bohemian look, and need to start practicing.)
    So, I've not answered your question about Birmingham. I hope someone else will. Please, though, try to understand that there are alternatives to that dark place, and some of the alternatives are really good ones. I think you'll see these alternatives as you look through this forum. (I came to it yesterday because I was at a real low point. This morning I already feel better.)
    Please find a way not to look at your hair today--not to check it continuously. I'll pray for you while I pray for myself.
    needhope likes this.
  3. needhope

needhope New Member

Thank you Baker, I am so anxious that I can't function. I already had a body image disorder before this. I had always had fairly thick head of healthy hair. A year and a half ago it started to fall out in handfuls. I believe it started due to losing weight not eating, and then taking a med I was allergic to.
    I used to have regrowth not enough to replace what was being lost but my hair looked very normal up until the last two months. I also can't color it and got the worst haircut of my life (made it thinner looking) so all these things and how I can't eat and how ugly I have gotten I don't know how to cope.
    The one things that made me feel better about myself with my disorder was my hair. Even a few months ago I looked a bit like me. Now I don't recognize myself.
    I just want to cover it up and not look at it and feel like me again.
    It still falls out in huge numbers and not eating constant anxiety over this is not helping it I assume. I don' even know what kind of hair loss I have now. It was telegon effluvium but who knows now. I had hope a few months ago even gained weight. I have an anxiety disorder already and this has made me anxious to the point I can't function. I want a solution to stop thinking about it. I am too ugly for scarves and I have had no luck finding a hair replacement that looks good on me or that fits properly. I don't leave the house when I did to look for a solution they didn't have anything to try on. Just a few and blending a topper in right now with the not being able to color my hair and the way its falling out I think I need to just get a wig and hope I can calm down, feel alittle better and stop worrying about my hair. I can't look at pictues of myself. I have lost probably over 60 percent of my hair density in a year and a half. It wasn't noticeable till now and livable but the hair cut, hair falling out, condition of it, etc I can't even make my self look half like me. I am really sensitive and hoping to find someone in the wig industry near me who will be compassionate and can deal with not only my issue but my severe anxiety. Keep you in my prayers too. I am sorry you are going through this.
  4. Baker

Baker New Member

Some of the things you've said remind me of the way I've felt about my own hair and looks. Thanks to large pores and acne since the age of 10 (10!) and a broken nose that didn't heal correctly (I'm not making this up) I've always tried to make the most of my hair. The fact is, I had a wolf-man-quantity of hair, so for a long time I wasn't that worried about the loss. Anyone I told about my hair loss scoffed and said something like, "with as much hair as you have, you'll never have a problem." I liked having more-than-the-average of something (besides blemishes) and I always got compliments on my hair.
    But here are we are. So, are you taking your iron, vitamin D, Biotin, and other supplements? Are you drinking tons of water? I feel a bit better after a good long walk. I hope you can find a way for that sort of therapy.
    We aren't abnormal. Really. Stay away from tv-screens-full-of-abnormal-perfection.
    Still praying for you; thanks for thinking of me, too.