Dare I say...success?

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by annaluisa82, Feb 22, 2010.

1. annaluisa82

annaluisa82 New Member

Hey everyone,

I've been struggling with thin hair and hair loss (AGA) for as long as I can remember. I've been to so many doctors and dermatologists (most were unsympathetic). One even said "Look on the bright side, you can wear a different wig every day!" (NOT what I wanted to hear).

At any rate, the one thing that seems to keep the hair loss somewhat stabilized is going on the pill, I've been on Yasmin off and on for almost 10 years and that helps slow the loss somewhat. However, for the past month or two, it seems like my hairline is filling in, and you can see less of my scalp, especially on the top in the front where it was really thin. My boyfriend even commented how nice and full my hair looks. I definitely feel like I'm getting regrowth.

The only thing I've done differently is be very consistent about using Rogaine 5% foam in the morning and Ell Cranell at night. Ell cranell is also called Avicis in some countries, it's a topical solution made in Germany that's not available in the US. I get mine from Brazil but believe you can order it online. It's a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor or something like that.

I've also been taking fish oil and a multivitamin, both made by New Chapter, supposedly the best. I actually stopped the Yasmin for a month since I ran out but plan on going back on it. I'm not on Spiro (kind of scared it will up my breast cancer risk). I use nizoral 2% as well. I have a laser comb but am lazy and don't use it often.

I was also on Prozac for many many years as well as trazodone for depression but have stopped both. Wonder if this is a factor as well?

As a side note, I read Dr. Redmonds book and thought it was really good. I am a little confused though, because I went to see an endocrinologist last summer and had all kinds of hormone tests done. She said that I had a very mild case of late onset adrenal hyperplasia and PCOS, and suggested that I stay on Yasmin or take metformin. I went to get a second opinion just to confirm and the 2nd endocrinologist said that I didn't have either one of those things, and am just very hormonally sensitive. Most doctors don't think I have PCOS as I am not overweight and have periods like clockwork when not on the pill. I don't have acne, however I am a little hairy (not excessively - just south american) and have thin hair. So I don't know what's going on with my hormones. At any rate, the only consistent advice I've gotten from the endocrinologists and dermatologists I've been is to stay on the pill to slow the hairloss, so that's the way it goes, I guess.

Best of luck to everyone! I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories - makes me feel less lonely with this problem. Please let me know if you have any questions.
  2. HopefulMama

HopefulMama New Member

Hey- I know it's been a while since you wrote this but I'm sitting here with a Yasmin perscription and I'm debating starting it. I'm having bad post partum shed and I'm desperate. How long did you take it before it helped?