Dieting to Improve Nutritional Absorption

Discussion in 'Health | Fitness | Diet' started by TPROSE, Apr 26, 2009.

1. TPROSE

TPROSE New Member

So I have read time and time again that the state of your hair can be revealing of the state of your health. Now I am not saying that is a one size fits all statement by any means!!!!!! But I think there can be some truth to that for some people. I noticed my hair loss in August of 2007 at 20 years old. But I must have been losing for quite a while before that....maybe years. So in the 1 1/2+ years since, I have gone to doctors (endocrinologists, OBGYNs, GPs, derms) and have been given pills and told to take Rogaine. I never took Rogaine and won't. I did go on the pill. But what if what I am dealing with is systemic? What if I am not absorbing nutrients fully? I realized this past week that my gingivitis (early stage of gum disease) is getting worse. Low and behold, it can be related to nutritional issues and stress. I know this rant is not really making any sense, but my point is that maybe for some of us, were are nutritionally deficient, whether it be to physical, emotional, immune stress or to a lack of gut flora in our digestive tract....I will write more about that in another post. Anyway, there has to be a link between being nutritionally deficient and experiencing hair loss FOR SOME. Again this is not a one size fits all thing, and maybe my hair loss has nothing to do with nutritional issues...but I think it may. I am just starting a new diet and will discuss that in another post. My biggest message that I want to convey in this post is that we need to think outside the box when it comes to the advice and tools we are given by docs and others. Sometimes, simple lifestyle changes may be just as good medicine as anything else!!!!! Thanks for reading! Tracy
  2. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

I'd always had very healthy teeth and gums, but in the last few months my gums have been way more sensitive than they used to be, and I'm not doing anything differently (dental-wise). My stress level keeps increasing. I'm not sleeping well at all. Yet I started taking slow Fe 3 weeks ago, I've just started taking acidophilus every day, I have started buying more organic products. There are just so many things to consider. And these suggestions came from here (including from you!), not from doctors!!! I'm more likely to listen to advice given here :)
  3. Women's Hair Loss Project

Women's Hair Loss Project Administrator Staff Member

Hi Tracy-

Thanks for posting. I 100% agree that we definitely need to think outside the box when it comes to treating our hair loss. Diet cannot be overlooked... and yes there are plenty of homeless people with great hair, but that is them, and this is us. Our bodies are all different and unique. I look forward to hearing about your new diet. I am thinking of being more proactive and embarking on one myself so it will be fun to follow each other's progress.

Hey Victoria!-

I think my gums are really not up to par:eek:, maybe I need to floss the heck out of them more or maybe it's diet related, or some deficiency. It can all be connected. Like I mentioned before, I am really glad you are starting to make a conscious change to improve your health.
  4. TPROSE

TPROSE New Member

Gums

I have read that folic acid deficiency can make gingivitis worse. Pregnant women in a study were given their supplemental folic acid (needed especially during pregnancy) in a mouthwash form, and many of them had improved gums as a result. I am going to purchase liquid Folic Acid drops as swish them in my mouth once a day. Vitamin C is important as well apparently.
  5. TPROSE

TPROSE New Member

My new diet.....

I learned about my new diet, the Gut and Psychology Syndrome Diet on a blog called Cheeseslave. I recommend to everyone to check it out, as it is dedicated to eating whole foods!

The originator of the diet is a neurologist in the U.K. I could not figure out what parts I wanted to convey here from her book, so I found a site http://www.loveyourbelly.com/resources/gut.html, that gives a well-rounded summary on her philosophy. I am posting parts, since it is long. You may find that none of it applies to you. This diet is primarily geared towards kids with very noticeable psychiatric/neurological disorders that have extremely compromised gut flora. But I am coming to believe that most of us have compromised gut flora, and over time it can have a major effect on our ability to absorb nutrients. I think an inability to absorb nutrients could lead to poor hair re-growth and hair loss.

Not many people know that an adult on average carries 2 kg of bacteria in the gut. There are more cells in that microbial mass than there are cells in an entire human body. It is a highly organised micro-world, where certain species of bacteria have to predominate to keep us healthy physically and mentally. Their role in our health is so monumental that we simply cannot afford to ignore them.

A typical modern mother was probably not breast-fed when she was a baby, because she was born in the 60s or 70s when breast-feeding went out of fashion. Why is it important?

Because it is well known now that bottle-fed babies develop completely different gut flora compared to breast-fed babies. This compromised gut flora in a bottle-fed baby later on predisposes her to many health problems. Having acquired compromised gut flora from the start, a typical modern mum had quite a few courses of antibiotics in her childhood and youth for various infections. It is a well known fact that antibiotics have a serious damaging effect on gut flora, because they wipe out the beneficial strains of bacteria in the gut. At the age of 16, and sometimes even earlier, the modern mum was put on a contraceptive pill, which she took for quite a few years before starting a family.

Contraceptive pills have a devastating effect on the beneficial (good) bacteria in the gut.

One of the major functions of the good bacteria in the gut flora is controlling about 500 different species of pathogenic (bad) and opportunistic microbes known to science. When the beneficial bacteria get destroyed the opportunists get a special opportunity to grow into large colonies and occupy large areas of the digestive tract. A modern diet of processed and fast foods provide perfect nourishment for these pathogens and that is a typical diet a modern mum had as a child and a young adult.

As a result of all these factors a modern mum has seriously compromised gut flora by the time she is ready to have children. The most common health problems in mothers are digestive abnormalities, allergies, autoimmunity, PMS, chronic fatigue, headaches and skin problems.

Whatever microbial flora the mother has she passes to her new-born child. And indeed clinical signs of gut dysbiosis (abnormal gut flora) are present in almost 100% of mothers of children with neurological and psychiatric conditions.

The vital functions of gut flora

Gut flora is something we do not think much about. And yet the number of functions the gut flora fulfills is so vital for us that if some day our digestive tract got sterilised we probably would not survive.

The first and very important function is appropriate digestion and absorption of food. If a child does not acquire normal balanced gut flora, then the child will not digest and absorb foods properly, developing multiple nutritional deficiencies. And that is what we commonly see in children with learning disabilities, psychiatric problems, and allergies.

Many of these children are malnourished. Even in the cases where the child may grow well, testing reveals some typical nutritional deficiencies in many important minerals, vitamins, essential fats, many amino-acids and other nutrients. The most common deficiencies, recorded in these children, are in magnesium, zinc, selenium, copper, calcium, manganese, sulphur, phosphorus, iron, potassium, vanadium, boron, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, A, D, folic acid, pantothenic acid, omega-3, 6, 9 fatty acids, taurine, alpha-ketoglutaric acid, glutathione and many other amino-acids.

This usual list of nutritional deficiencies, commonly seen in these children, includes some of the most important nutrients for normal development of the child's brain, immune system, and the body as a whole.

In addition to promoting normal digestion and absorption of food, healthy gut flora actively synthesise various nutrients: vitamin K, pantothenic acid, folic acid, thiamine (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), ciancobalamine (vitamin B12), various amino-acids, and proteins. When tested, people with gut dysbiosis always present with deficiencies of these nutrients. Clinical experience shows that restoring the beneficial bacteria in their gut is the best way to deal with these deficiencies.

What's more, people with damaged gut flora often have particular groups of pathogenic bacteria growing in their gut, including iron-loving bacteria (Actinomyces spp., Mycobacterium spp., pathogenic strains of E.Coli, Corynebacterium spp. and many others). These bacteria consume whatever iron the the diet provides, leaving that person deficient in iron. Unfortunately, supplementing iron only makes these bacteria grow stronger and does not remedy anaemia. To treat anaemia, the person requires all the nutrients we have mentioned, many of which healthy gut flora supply.

Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract

In addition to taking a direct part in nourishing the body, beneficial bacteria in the gut act as the housekeepers for the digestive tract. They coat the entire surface of the gut, protecting it from invaders and toxins by providing a natural barrier and producing a lot of antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal substances.

At the same time, they provide the gut lining with nourishment. It is estimated that 60-70% of the energy that the gut lining derives is from the activity of bacteria which live on its surface.

In my clinical practice, I see that long before these patients develop psychotic symptoms they suffer from digestive problems and all other typical symptoms of gut dysbiosis and have done so pretty much from the start of their lives. Children and young adults with ADHD/ADD, OCD, depression and other neuropsychological problems are very often reported to suffer from digestive abnormalities though there have not been formal studies published yet.

The importance of re-establishing gut flora

The mixture of toxicity in each child can be quite individual and different. But what they all have in common is gut dysbiosis. The toxicity, which is produced by the abnormal microbial mass in these children, establishes a link between the gut and the brain. These children can present with symptoms of autism, ADHD, ADD, OCD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, schizophrenia, depression, sleep disorders, allergies, asthma and eczema in any possible combination.

These are the children who fall in the gap in our medical knowledge. Any child with a learning disability, neurological or psychological problems, or allergies should be thoroughly examined for gut dysbiosis. Re-establishing normal gut flora and treating the digestive system of the child has to be the number one treatment for these disorders, before considering any other treatments with drugs or otherwise.

If you are interested in learning what foods are allowed and not allowed, what supplements she recommends, etc. Let me know! Please note, I am not endorsing this as a one size fits all diet for anyone and everyone. But I think it may have some merit for some!
  6. gardengirl76

gardengirl76 New Member

New Member-Researching Support!

New member here and I am having trouble not writing a book! Two topics I have interest in hearing other's research.

1.) I am interested in what you are eating. Have you or anyone else tried this diet?

2.) I had a scalp biopsy in March and was diagnosed with TE. The information on TE ranges from stress to iron deficientcy. No real research or information on causes or what to eat. I don't know if I have cronic TE. I had a very serious car accident this year and I bought a house that turned into the money pit the year before. I think I can safely say I've experienced hair loss in the past during trying times. I just seem to remember 3-4 turns of the hairtye and now it's 5-6 times. I've had blood work...nothing out of the ordinary. Has anyone else been diagnosed with TE and found any sort of nutritional information that helped? My hair is not healthy looking anymore.

Thanks for any input!
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  7. saniaa83

saniaa83 New Member

i am eating the asian foods at home,and i am totally fedup from all these.send me some nutrious diet chart...
  8. deedoo

deedoo New Member

has anyone tried homeopathy medicine for hairloss?
  9. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

It is best to consult with a dermatologist who specializes in treating hair loss and stick with proven treatments.

A healthy diet, plenty of exercise and plenty of sleep certainly can't hurt though.
  10. dormant12

dormant12 New Member

I read your post and liked it very much. It was quite informative plus interesting topic. I totally agree with you on this though. Having a good diet can have a good effect on our health plus fitness.
  11. Reha

Reha Member

Well thanks for such descriptive diet remedies for losings weight, breakfasts and lunches that are high in fiber are really effective.
  12. Julia David

Julia David Member

The four basic food groups, as outlined by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) are:
    dairy products (such as milk and cheese)
    meat and eggs (such as fish, poultry, pork, beef, and eggs)
    grains (such as bread cereals, rice, and pasta)
    fruits and vegetables
    The USDA recommendation for adults is that consumption of meat, eggs, and dairy products should not exceed 20% of total daily caloric intake. The rest (80%) should be devoted to vegetables, fruits, and grains. For children age two or older, 55% of their caloric intake should be in the form of carbohydrates, 30% from fat, and 15% from proteins. In addition, saturated fat intake should not exceed 10% of total caloric intake. This low-fat, high-fiber diet is believed to promote health and help prevent many diseases, including heart disease, obesity, and cancer.
    Allergenic and highly processed foods should be avoided. Highly processed foods do not contain significant amounts of essential trace minerals. Furthermore, they contain lots of fat and sugar as well as preservatives, artificial sweeteners and other additives. High consumption of these foods causes build up of unwanted chemicals in the body and should be avoided. Food allergies causes a variety of symptoms including food cravings, weight gain, bloating, and water retention. They also may worsen chronic inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.