Educating hairdressers

Discussion in 'Hair Loss Friendly Stylists' started by Lally1964, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Lally1964

Lally1964 New Member

I hope this isn't off-topic. When I first noticed my hair was getting thin (and growing fuzz that had never been there before), I mentioned it to my hairdresser. He replied, "Use more product. And try protein packs." I wasn't happy with this, so a few months later, when things were definitely getting worse, I went to a more expensive salon and talked to the owner. He replied, "You're over 40. You're menopausal -- that means you lose hair." (I had bloodwork done a few months later and I was NOT menopausal.) So....we need to educate our hairdressers that when a woman complains about mysterious hair loss, CHECK OUT HER CONTRACEPTION. Hairdressers probably can't mention Mirena/Bayer (I think it's Bayer?) without getting sued, but they need to know there's a problem. Would you give a talk to hairdressing students in your area? I'm going to do just that.
  2. Women's Hair Loss Project

Women's Hair Loss Project Administrator Staff Member

Great Idea

Hi Lally1964 -

Great post, and not off topic, it is so true! Most hair dressers will sell you Nixoin, which they of course carry in their salon. In my opinion Nixoin (which I have used) does nothing but turn your scalp red and tingly and makes you smell like a candy cane. No thanks.

Hair dressers are extremely uneducated when it comes to hair loss and they shouldn't make random guesses, and suggest useless things like Nixoin or using "more product" or those "protein packs" Oye Vey.

Also, not ALL menopausal women lose hair. There are plenty of women well past menopause sporting the same hair they had in their younger years, I know, because I stare at them in envy. :(

And while hair dressers really aren't qualified to diagnose their clients they could certainly share their insight, like you mentioned.. the contraceptives question is HUGE. Ultimately they need to see a doctor who is experienced in women's hair loss.

I think it is an AWESOME idea that you want to educate hair dressing students about women's hair loss -- they will definitely be better serving their clients with that extra knowledge, it will also help them to be more understanding and compassionate. :>
  3. Lally1964

Lally1964 New Member

...and doctors (general practitioners)

Thanks for the feedback, administrator. I didn't buy the "It's the menopause" line because my mother, age 70, still has all her hair, so if she still has it, why shouldn't I...?

Doctors need educating too. General practitioners buy from pharmaceuticals reps and may have no idea what's going on out here in the trenches. When I get my IUD removed in two weeks, my GP is getting a handful of the hair I've collected in the shower over the past month (will be six weeks by then), and a print-out of an excellent article on alopecia and hormones by the author of "It's Your Hormones" (one of the doctors I found on this site, whose name I promptly forgot).

By the way, I've put up a post on another website (to do with the side effects of medications; it has over 2k posts on Mirena!) directing people to this site and the Mirena petition...
  4. Women's Hair Loss Project

Women's Hair Loss Project Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for spreading the word about the Women's Hair Loss Project. If anyone is curious about the Mirena article, here it is:

http://www.womenshairlossproject.com/hair-loss/bad-mirena-call-to-action/

I am very interested in hearing what your GP is going to say when you show them the lost hair. The gyno that had prescribed me the devil pill, Loestrin FE, was convinced that it had NOTHING to do with my hair loss. Impossible.:mad: Doctors should not prescribe medications without informing the patient of possible side effects. Every doctor should now be well aware that BCP or any Hormonal Contraceptive CAN possibly cause hair loss, sometimes it's only temporary and sometimes it can kick in androgenetic alopecia. If they are gonna prescribe the stuff they should be more aware of what it can DO to a woman's life.:>
  5. klfrolon

klfrolon New Member

Hello,
    I am a Hairstylist and do agree that when we go to school we do not get educated on hairloss. When I use to work in a salon in California I had alot of clients ask me about this topic because they were going through it. I would tell my clients to go see doctor and have them do a complete lab work . Some clients would get fustrated when I would say that and I know it's because they wanted me to give then a miracle potion and it broke my heart. I guess since Ive been experiencing this myself I felt more compassion. Someday Lord willing Ill have a salon just for woman with hairloss.
  6. kawawa

kawawa New Member

I have to tell this story! I realized that my hairdresser could not help me with potions or creams when I looked at the receptionist and her hair was so thin that it was see-through with shining skin to boot.

I knew I had to look else where. I still take my daughter to the salon and the stylist finally asked how I got my hair to grow in so thick. He didn't know it was a topper and I didn't tell him.

I just said "Thanks, who knows? I love my hair now. I go to a salon in Houston"

Hair stylist are artist and this is why they get frustrated with us women who ask more from them than they are able to give.
  7. Collette

Collette New Member

And I love love love your topper kawawa :D
  8. ladywig

ladywig New Member

hairdressers need to learn some psychology

The barber is not only a technical occupation, more important is to comfort the hearts of customers, let the hair of the customer confidence in the face of life, rather than directly tell you "you don't want long hair". So the barber needs to learn some psychology, this will more understand alopecia customer heart.
  9. stephaniebeth1

stephaniebeth1 New Member

I definitely agree - I don't think hair dressers get it either and would love for them to be more educated.
  10. Metalmom

Metalmom Member

Hi. I'm new to this forum. But I read this thread bec. yesterday I was at the hairdresser's, and I started crying. I think it must have made her really uncomfortable, but I couldn't help it. Next to me was a stylist saying to her client, "you have such long thick hair." The client my stylist did before me had an enormous beautiful head of hair. What I would like to see is hairdressers simply being able to say "I'm sorry you feel so bad" or something. Next time I'm gonna ask her if she can do my hair away from the front of the salon. Also I was wondering, are hairdressers trained to work with all types of hair, very thin almost to balding, as well as "normal"? It seems like a dumb question, but I really don't know. I think mine must have been bec. she did give me a style that looked great, albeit a bit like a "hair helmet." I still have enough hair left to cover the spots, but if I lose much more, that won't be the case.
  11. Bella Disuja

Bella Disuja New Member

hey, in modern era you want a get best look as your profile in professional life also you can get more hair products for arrange your hairstyle.
  12. Bella Disuja

Bella Disuja New Member

hello, there i will see many stylish & wonderful hairstyle from this wonderful post.
  13. Allision

Allision New Member

Hi. I'm New To This Forum. But I Read This Thread Bec. Yesterday I Was At The Hairdresser's, And I Started Crying. Next To Me Was A Stylist Saying To Her Client, "You Have Such Long Thick Hair
  14. Julia David

Julia David Member

There is someone named P'ninna Rosenbloom who is the expert on beauty and cosmetics--she would be the one to contact. In Haifa there is a college at the City Mall near the Check Post; most hairstyling in Israel is taught as on-the-job training at Beauty Salons, and let's not forget Wedding Salons, and there is someone named Zachi Moyal whose hair styling ads appear on transits.