Expensive Salon or Internet

Discussion in 'Wigs and Toppers' started by MaineMom, Nov 30, 2013.

1. MaineMom

MaineMom New Member

Hi,

Related to Ulyana's post below I am wondering if it is worth it to go to an expensive wig salon, or just figure out what works best by ordering online and returning what doesn't work. I have an apt set up with a wig salon, but they are telling me toppers start at $ 1000.00, and wigs at $1,400.00?? I am sure they have beautiful wigs, but I think I would rather have more choices, options than coming home with one option and then I can't afford anything else at all for a really long time?? Also, from reading the posts below I am thinking that spending considerably less would be smart to start out. Then if a high-end human hair wig is what I need, I could save up.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!:)
  2. porshiana

porshiana Member

Depending on where your located. if you're in the USA, you could go on Google and search for beauty shops in the nearest African American community. Call and ask if they carry wigs. If so, pay a visit. You can Try on several and they start at $19.99. Look at my albums. Mine are both around $35 at hairsisters.com and I love them. Btw, if u go with a lace front like mine your supposed to cut the lace off all the way at the hairline. You can see tutorials on YouTube. I personally like shake n go wigs from snghair.com . they don't sell them directly but places like hairsisters.com do. I once bought a $500 wig because I was a sucker. These $35 wigs are just as good. I actually Like the quality better. Good luck.
  3. MaineMom

MaineMom New Member

Porshiana,

Thanks so much for all your info and suggestions. By the way, how do I view your albums? Diane
  4. suzieQ2

suzieQ2 New Member

MaineMom,
    I agree with Porshina. I would not pay a lot for a wig and I would start out with either a low or medium priced wig first and then decide what you like and don't like about it before you buy your next one. I just ordered my first wig, I am bonding now but I want a wig to wear for emergencies if I run out of bonding adhesive or just want to give my scalp a rest now and then. The one I ordered cost $262 and is by Jon Renau which is a good wig designer. The hair is synthetic and it has a lace front. I watched some videos on Youtube of women who wear them and you absolutely cannot tell they are not real hair, it's amazing how far synthetic wigs have come. I would personally rather wear synthetic so I don't have to be bothered with styling and it looks good all of the time. Can't wait to get mine! Also, try this website because there are lots of demo videos on there. wigsbypattispearls.com
  5. porshiana

porshiana Member

I'm not certain, but I think you click my name right at the top of this post and chose view profile and then my albums are available on the far right of my profile page. Let me know if this is correct. I once owned a Jon Renau. Actually, that was the first one I ever bought. A monofilament. Paid almost $600 for it at a salon that caters to suckers. Later I found the same wig on wigs.com for a little over $400.. Now, some years and experience later, I know I can get higher quality wigs for $50. If I was offered any Jon Renau wig I wanted free, or $100 to spend on other brands, I would take the $100. The hair wasnt very heat resistant. The monofilament was nice for hiding hair roots of the part, but the hairline was awful. Mine had bangs to hide it but I couldn't push them to the side or do anything that separated them or the wig was obvious. For over $400 a wig ccompanies idea of a natural hairline shouldn't be " hide it with bangs". Idk maybe I just have a lot of animosity toward them for making such a sucker of me. $2000 over a 4 year period and after the first 2 months every year I spent the next 10 months trying not v to look like Bozo with the frizzy ends. Horrible horrible experience. Now, $ 500 would buy 15-20 of my better quality wigs. I want the money that they conned of of me back! And I won't even discuss psychological damages...
  6. suzieQ2

suzieQ2 New Member

I really checked out the reviews and watched some videos on the wig I ordered to make sure it was going to look realistic and I think I am going to be happy with it. (Jon Renau- Julia) Since this was my first wig order, I wanted to go with a well known wig company to see if I even like wearing a wig. I should have it by the end of the week so I will give an update when I wear it.
    Porshiana, I will take a look at the hairsisters.com website too because we all want the best deal we can get. I don't blame you for being upset about paying $500 for synthetic wig that you were not happy with, but it all comes by experience. The first time I started wearing hair I went to a fancy upscale salon in Boston and paid $3000 for a tie in system. Then they would charge me $100 each time I went back for a service which was every 2 weeks or so.....ridiculous, but it was my fault because I was desperate and uneducated about hair systems at the time. Now I buy my bonded toppers online at HD and the hair is top quality and MUCH, much cheaper. No salon visits-I can do it myself and I love it.
    Anyway....thanks for the advice and I will check out that site now.:)
  7. porshiana

porshiana Member

Sorry for ranting Suzie but u just happened to mention the brand name associated with my bad experiences. Kind of a poke in a sore spot. But, speaking of bonding, what do you use? I've tried several bonders and am still kind of experimenting. I've used the tacky acrylic based glues like ultra hold. What a mess they made. Then tackiness made dirt just stick to my hairline and I looked horrible. I tried some white glue and it just didn't hold well. I started experimenting. I read about endurabond and dermabond. They cost a fortune. They are the same ingredients as krazy glue or super glue, just formulated a little differently. Krazy/super glue can literally cause burns because it uses a heat process to bond. Endurabond and dermabond are formulated to not do this. I have 5 second nail glue, and it has burned my skin before. However some cheaper pink nail glue comes with b my kiss nails. It doesn't hold as well but it never burned. So I started using it. I noticed it caused the lace to get hard and look crusty at the edges. So, I started using it on the lace behind the hairline got the hold, then using a very thin like marker line of clear nail Polish on the edges. That is where I'm at now. What has been your experience?
  8. porshiana

porshiana Member

I've read goods reviews about ghost bond. I'm considering trying it out
  9. porshiana

porshiana Member

Oh Susie, I understand. Hair sisters is just one of many places and freetress is one of many companies that are all comparably But with good quality. it's so hard to tell on line. If u can find a beauty supply store in the lower income neighborhoods, specifically the African american neighborhoods, then you can actually try them on for the cost of a $1 wig cap. That is exactly what I did. Walked into a beauty supply store with a friend and tripped at the prices. Tried several on, and never spent over $50 for a wig again.
  10. porshiana

porshiana Member

And I used to get Brooke by Jon Renau I just looked. It's marked way down now. The last time I bought it was 2005 I think.
  11. suzieQ2

suzieQ2 New Member

I know Porshiana it looks like the prices of wigs have come down a lot over the last couple of years because it's so competetive out there. Don't worry about ranting because I would do the same if I got ripped off. I hate when people take advantage of people who are already down. I felt bad enough about my hair loss back when I went to that salon and that woman took full advantage of me. Well, thankfully I only went to her for a couple of months before I found another salon in the suburbs and got set free.
    Right now I am using Walker Ultra Hold Tape or Super Tape (both are excellent and can hold up to 10 days) on my lace topper but KEEP IN MIND that I shave a perimeter around my scalp where the tape goes to make it hold. It will not hold nearly as well to hair if you don't shave an area. I have used all of the different glues and decided to go back to tape because the glues make such a mess. I most recently used Ghost Bond XL because people were raving about it but I got 1-2 days hold with it and it usually made a mess. Some people love it so it really depends on your body chemistry too. I have an oily scalp so my bond never holds as long as some people. I have also used Walker Ultra Hold glue and No Tape glue. I pulled so much of my own hair out when trying to get the glue off my head that I gave up on glues. I buy all of my products from Hair Direct, that's where I buy my Human hair lace systems (topper) too and they are very reputable.
    www.hairdirect.com
    Do you plan on bonding a topper or are you going to use it for a wig? I plan on trying a couple of pieces of hairpiece tape to my wig so it will stay secure. I am paranoid about it coming off.
    I was told by a few people that my Jon Renau will last 3 months if I wear it daily and take excellent care of it....do you think that's realistic??
    Your pictures look great!
  12. porshiana

porshiana Member

Thank you for the compliments. As for how long the wig will last... There are so many variables it's quite impossible to say. Including that when it is "worn out" in itself is an opinion the differs from one person to the next. I purchase a new one every 2 weeks. Mostly because after wearing embarrassing frizz for so long I have a real hatred of it. When I go to my supplier to purchase my new ones many other customers tell me my wigs still look new. I don't agree. And they dont feel the same. The longer lengths frizz faster. You may find tangles in the neck area. They last longer in the winter than the summer. If yours isn't heat resistant like mine wasn't, it takes 1 time of opening a hot oven to Frizz the whole thing up pretty bad. But perhaps it is heat resistant. As I said it's been a while. Keep in mind you will get a lot of extra lace. Your supposed to cut it all the way up at the hairline. Some ppl think it's supposed to stay on.
    I actually have shaved my front. I used some double sided tape, I'm unsure of the brand. It wound up mating so badly into my hair that i had to cut my hair there and i think it actually pulled from the roots. It's smooth as glass right there. The worst past is, it want sticking to the wig. I kind of wear the wig as a topper. I attach the front lace and let my hair come out the sides and back where the wig attaches with Combs.. This allows me to pull my hair up into a hair clip and have my natural hairline. Here is my wig cap construction [​IMG] I will post pictures of my hair pulled up into the clips to my album. Notice how the lace goes clear down the sideburns? I fold that back and sew it so that my natural sideburns show. Then I clip it the sides and back. It makes it semi permanent yet I can unattached my sides and back to wash my bio hair well underneath. The glues you used, the Walker ultra hold is the same ingredients as the one I used. Acrylic based. Is the tape the same thing? It didn't hold really well for me at all. I work hard and sweat much in a dusty warehouse. That's why ive just switched to hard bonding. At least I know it isn't going to move. It's the only thing that keeps me bonded for days. I get about 5 days with the cyanoacrylate (krazy glue)
  13. porshiana

porshiana Member

Actually I just looked. There are already pictures of my hair pulled up in my album. Sorry.
  14. suzieQ2

suzieQ2 New Member

There are all different strength tapes to choose from on hairdirect.com. You can search by desired hold time. The two tapes that I like Super Tape and Walker Ultra Hold claim to hold 4 weeks, however I never get a bond more than a week no matter what I use. (glue or tape) Both of these 2 sided tapes should stick to the front of a lace wig because they stick to my lace base. However if you have any tape or glue residue left on the lace or scalp it will not stick as well. You might want to just give one of those tapes a try since they are so inexpensive ($3.90) for 36 pieces. I don't think I would feel comfortable using the crazy glue and would rather use something designed for hair. I know that none of the stuff we are putting on our scalps can be too healthy, but crazy glue scares me a little.

That is so interesting that you customize your synthetic wigs to bond and are able to use some of your own hairline.....I am going to have to experiment with that when I get mine or maybe when I buy a less expensive one. I love bonding with a lace topper but it is a lot of work taking care of the human hair because it fades when it oxidizes and I am tired of getting my bio hair to match the topper and visa/versa. Also, I am looking forward to having a nice style on the synthetic when I throw it on without all of the fuss.
    There is a lot to consider because my human hair systems are so light that I don't even know I am wearing anything on my head. Not sure it will be the same story with the wig, but I will know soon. :p
  15. porshiana

porshiana Member

To begin with, consider trying two tone wigs. Notice mine is much darker underneath. This allows me to blend my natural hair in. My hair is typical brown. It is neither the red not the black. But when u have blended colors in the wig, another color blending on isn't obvious. On a solid color wig it would really stand out.

As for the crazy glue, there is medical grade. Derma bond is used in emergency rooms across America. It is especially used on cuts on the face because it won't leave scars like stitches do. In bigger wounds they stitch the tissue underneath, then use derma bond on the skin. However, derma bound costs a fortune. All of these ppl getting professionally bonded, they use derma bond. That's why it costs so much. Dermabond and crazy glue are both cyanoacrylates. However typical crazy glue is ethyl- cyanoacrylates. After using it successfully in other countries on things such as war victims and countries episodes of it being used by civilians, They tried to make it legal to use in the medical field but were denied because of it's heat In a n effort to make medical grade that doesn't use as much heat to cause a burning sensation, they created 3 other cyanoacrylates. Methyl- cyanoacrylates which created significantly less heat but didn't remove it completely. This is what many " pink nail gels" are made of and what i currently use. Butyl- cyanoacrylate which worked great had no burning sensation and was the original medical grade. Then octyl- cyanoacrylate which is derma bond which doesn't heat up AND is flexible unlike butyl which is rigid like glue. Octyl- derma bond canbe bought online at ridiculous prices. Butyl can be bought online at reasonable prices. Although they often say its for veterinary use because to sell it to ppl bonding human tissue they would have to obtain medical license and see yours etc.

So if health is your concern talk to ppl with professionally bonded toppers. Then if u want to try, buy the derma bond. Its a couple hundred dollars but I think you get a much larger container than the tiny crazy glue bottles. Or you could get some butyl. Either way, testing it on your hand first is a good idea. It's what I did. I literally glued a small piece of left over lace to my hand.
  16. porshiana

porshiana Member

Oh, and they do sell methyl-cyanoacrylates specifically for bonding wigs. They are called Endurance bond and Sensi bond. These can be found for purchase all over. They simply up the price for the exact same chemical.
  17. suzieQ2

suzieQ2 New Member

wow, you have really done your homework Porshiana!
    I almost always get a color blend but the human hair oxidizes to a reddish tone after a couple of months and I don't like any red in my hair.

Anyways, I am trying to educate myself on all of the different wig colors and codes. I like the rooted colors a lot and some of the highlighted ones. In your experience what is the best way to learn the different colors or is it just trial and error when it comes to ordering??
  18. porshiana

porshiana Member

I could be wrong, but i think each wig company had their own color codes. It can get pretty confusing, and be a lot to remember. I wish the profiles grass locations. Idk it'd yuppie in the United states. But if you are, i will tell you the best thing I ever did was visit a cheap wig shop. Go on google maps and look up beauty supply. Find some in the African American community. Call and ask them off they carry wigs. If they do grab a dollar and pay them a visit. The dollar is so you can buy their wig cap, which they require try on wigs. Then they will help you try wigs on and find what you like. Find which brand you prefer and which colors look best on you in that brand. Reality is those state the only colors you need to remember. Its a very awesome experience imo.

Also, i recently found some cheap octyl glue online at amazon. I was Amazed and can't wait until payday. You can find it here. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005GRAXXG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1387116132&sr=8-1&pi=SL500

Idk, the rigid glue can get uncomfortable and if left on too long or used on spots too big can even crack and put scratch marks on many head. I'm currently not bonded so i can take breaks with a turban at. night. I've went back to my old faithful for comfort. I use double sided tape on my wig. But i dont want it bonded. So i put clear gel mail polish on the side touching my head. Gel polish is flexible, yet rubbery so it creates a friction grip. I use gel on my nails so i have it and a uv light available anyway. But i use fingerpaint or gelish from sally's and a salon pro lamp i bought online for ,$30.
    The awesome thing about buying $30 wigs every 2 weeks is that i can afford to experiment and mistakes are not tragic.

Attached Files:

19. porshiana

porshiana Member

Omg my phone causes so many typos."I wish the profiles HAD locations. Idk if YOU'RE. IN the united states"

off=if
    state=are

Etc... I hope your good. At deciphering
  20. MaineMom

MaineMom New Member

Porshiana & SuzieQ2

Hi Girls,

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you two for all of your detailed advice!! I have been to Patti'sPearls.com and have an awesome wig (lets hope!) on order! I ordered the "Alia" with customized sizing. I just LOVE all the cool videos Patti puts out there for free teaching......Thank you BOTH for convincing me to go the more inexpensive route first. I cancelled my original apt. thinking I cannot spend that much on myself.....I would feel horrible....as I am a generally frugal gal....thanks again!:)