Finally...

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Katrinacara, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Katrinacara

Katrinacara New Member

My husband has been bugging me to post my success story on this website.

First, I want to say thank you. Soooo much. I have been reading the threads on this website for years and they have given me so much hope and encouragement, but I never signed up to be a part of the forum until now. You women are so brave and I feel like I have to share my success story since you are such a big part of it.

My hubby and I got married almost 5 years ago. About a year before that I decided that I should start taking birth control. We were waiting until our wedding day to have sex...yes I just said that. LOL. Anyway...we wanted to make sure we didn't automatically have a baby so I went to my OBGYN and she took one look at me and just handed me some Yaz.

Worst idea ever. First, I almost committed suicide within the first week. That should have told me something, but I just ignored it. Second, I had an irregular heartbeat all of a sudden. Third, my hair started shedding more and more rapidly. But still, I was convinced this was the best idea...besides...I had SUPER thick hair and could afford to lose some.

Fast forward to my wedding a year later. About a quarter of my hair had shed and finally it felt not too thick and not too thin. On my wedding day, my hairdresser noted that my hair just kept shedding everytime she touched it. Not really the kind of thing you want to hear on your wedding day...Then she GASPED. "Honey," She said "Do you know that you have a bald spot?" I don't know how I missed it, but I did. Right behind my bangs. I wanted to cry, but I didn't want to mess up my makeup. I decided I'd think about it after the wedding.

Well...a year later...yes I really am that stupid. I kept waking up in the middle of the night with either a rapid heartbeat or no heartbeat at all. I was going to the hospital constantly. During the same time, while taking showers I noticed my hair was coming out in clumps. Finally, I broke down.

My husband found me in the shower one day on my knees reaching for my hair in the tub drain. I felt like I was losing something more important...my sanity.

I just have to say, that through this all, my husband was amazing. He told me to stop taking the BC and that we would figure this out. We decided to do non hormonal barrier contraceptives and he spent probably over $200 in hair loss products. We tried lots of things, but they only seemed to slow the shedding, but really this was a relief to me.

For awhile, I was okay with this. I lost about half my hair, but it was still pretty thick. Then last year, I noticed that little by little, I was getting a bald spot in the back of my head.

When the hair loss first started I would tell people about it and they would laugh at me, because I still had a lot of hair. But people started to notice now. My part went almost all the way to the back of my head AND my hair was turning gray and becoming very brittle.

That's when I found this site. That's when I just gave up the worry.

I decided that I would love myself no matter what.

I read a post written by someone who said NO MATTER WHAT not to worry and to just accept yourself. Also that wigs can be really pretty :)

I read some that another person benefited from scalp massage. I noticed it helped a little and BELIEVE ME...every little bit counts!

I read some other places about how women can use men's rogaine, but I was reluctant to try it. It does irritate my scalp, so I use it every other day

At this point I still had hair loss, but not as much as before. But my hair was NOT growing back.

I decided that I was okay with this and did something really good for myself. I dyed my hair red because I've always wanted to. This really did wonders for my confidence. Even though my hair was thin, it was gorgeous. I don't know if this is always a good idea, but it worked for me.

I also started co-washing my hair every other time I shower and it improved the texture of my hair, but didn't really help with regrowth.

I did some more researching on hair loss and I found a vitamin called hair revive 5. The cover of the bottle kind of looks like a libido supplement. Seriously, look it up! Anyway...in about a month or two, I had baby hairs!

But alas...it was too expensive. So my hubby found this vitamin that was similar but a lot cheaper.

Skin, Nails & Hair (Advanced MSM Formula) by Solgar. This stuff right here is amazing. I think MSM might be some kind of miracle cure for hair loss. It definitely works better than Hair Revive 5. My hair grows so fast with this supplement. It's crazy.

I am very proud to say that my hair is growing back and I have minimal hair loss.

I have to say. I am totally knocking on wood right now. It's been 4 years since I stopped BC and it's been about 7 months since I started having regrowth. Now I just wish my heart problems would go away, but that's a different story.

I'm hoping this is the end of my hair loss story, but it might not be.

Everyone is different. You can try what I've tried, but it's possible it may not work for you. For some people, success is complete regrowth and for others it's a nice lush wig or a colorful headscarf.

The most important thing, is to accept yourself. To realize that this is NOT the end. You are beautiful, hair or no hair.

Do not worry, hope instead.

:>Katrinacara

(I added my before and after pictures below)

Attached Files:

2. xoxchelsea

xoxchelsea New Member

Your hair looks wonderful :) I hope i'm as successful