Getting insurance company to pay for wig/topper

Discussion in 'Wigs and Toppers' started by KrazyKat, Mar 26, 2014.

  1. KrazyKat

    KrazyKat New Member

    I've read all over online that if you have hair loss due to alopecia or cancer, most insurance companies will pay for at least part of the cost of a wig. Below is a copy/paste from a wig website describing how to file an insurance claim:

    How to File Your Initial Insurance Claim

    1. Receive a letter or prescription from your doctor for a “Cranial Hair Prosthesis.”
    2. Use the Healthcare Common Procedure Coding Systems (HCPCS) codes: S8095 and A9282.
    3. Have a receipt from the company where you purchased your Cranial Hair Prosthesis. Make sure it does not say “wig” anywhere and that it includes the HCPCS insurance codes. *WE CAN HELP WITH THIS*
    4. Also have the company include their Tax ID#.
    5. Have your physician sign off on the insurance claim form.
    6. Double check your insurance claim form to make sure you legibly included the following elements:

    • The item “Cranial Hair Prosthesis”
    • The HCPCS codes: S8095 and A9282
    • The company’s Tax ID #
    • Your physician’s signature.
    Has anyone had success getting reimbursement? Was it for a wig or topper, or both?