Going Organic

Discussion in 'Health | Fitness | Diet' started by VictoriaG, Apr 25, 2009.

1. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

I'm one of those people whose diagnosis - AGA - doesn't quiet mesh with my symptoms. In fact, my testosterone is very low, my estrogen very high! A couple of friends from WHLP suggested switching to organic foods where possible, to cut down on hormone intake, for starters. Honestly, I'd never intentionally purchased anything organic, but only because I'm a creature of habit. But I trust these ladies, and I started with organic eggs. Then today I bought cereal, carrots and cheese (today is sponsored by the letter "C". ) Time will tell whether they make any difference with my shedding, but in the mean time, I know I'll be eating healthier.
  2. Women's Hair Loss Project

Women's Hair Loss Project Administrator Staff Member

Hi Victoria! Thank you for posting. I previously wrote a post about Nutrition and Hair Loss ( http://www.womenshairlossproject.com/hair-loss/nutrition-hair-loss-hormones/ )

I personally do believe that nutrition can have an affect on hair loss, I don't think it's the cause of androgenetic alopecia, but I think it does play some type of role in *some* people. We could all be better served by improving our diets, heck if not for our hair, then our health :D I am glad to hear you are switching to organic, the better you eat, the better you feel and that improves your outlook - which in turn affects how we deal with our hair loss.

I am personally intrigued by the what healing possibilities a RAW diet could bring. I have never tried it for long enough, I always fall off the raw wagon, but that won't keep me from trying again :)

xoxo
  3. Becca

Becca New Member

It would also be nice if when we go to the doctor for issues that they would put more enphasis on improving how we eat. For instance, when going to the doctor for my aa, he will go over all the medication options I have which may or may not work, but will not inquire about how I'm eating. I don't eat nearly enough fruits and veggies, some days I don't eat any. And for a while last summer, I was drinking too much wine (self medication anyone?) Anyway, I wish physicians could give advice on what we can do for ourselves at home that may or may not work but without the nasty side effects.
  4. Women's Hair Loss Project

Becca -

I totally agree, doctors should totally emphasize the importance of our diets. I'm right there with you on the self medication drinking wine thing. Only, you said you did it last summer... ummm I'm still doing it. Self medication.. wine connaisseur.. pish posh.. I dont' wanna split hairs:D

There is no doubt in my mind that the food we eat has some type of effect on our hormones or chemical reaction in our body. Ever eat way too much sugar? Things start to get a little fuzzy. My dad ate so much sugar once his vision got blurry! So it is totally remiss to not have diet be part of the treatment.
  5. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

2 different dermatologists, one internest, one gyn - about a dozen visits since this started - and the only diet-related suggestion made was to try to increase my red meat intake, for iron. I'm pretty sure it would take more than the occasional steak to fix my hair!! I've changed my eating habits a lot since this started, but that was based on suggestions made by friends here. A lot of it is common sense, but for me, I'm more likely to follow advice given by a person (here) than something I googled.
  6. Women's Hair Loss Project

Take Two Steaks and Call Me In The Morning! LOL. Doesn't it seem that is the level of care we so often get from the doctors we see for our hair loss, or anything else for that matter. I remember when I was a kid, my knees would really hurt when I would sit indian style in gym class. So my mom took me to the doctor to explain this... and you know what he said? I'm not even joking, he said "Don't Sit Indian Style":confused:

What a help that was.
  7. TPROSE

TPROSE New Member

Vicki,
    I think you may be really interested in reading this book called "The 5 Forces of Wellness" by Dr. Mark Hyman, MD. He considers himself a Functional Medicine doctor. He looks at various symptoms and tries to make connections between them.....treating the whole body is how it should be!!!!!!!!! Check out his site: drhyman.com. Start with http://www.drhyman.com/7-Keys.aspx. This goes over the 7 bases he covers with his patients!
  8. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

I will check that out, Tracy, thank you very much!!
  9. TPROSE

TPROSE New Member

You are welcome! One more thing. These are the dirty dozen: produce the Environmental, Working Group says you MUST buy organic due to the amount pesticides they are exposed to:
    1. Peach
    2. Apple
    3. Bell Pepper
    4. Celery
    5. Nectarine
    6. Strawberries
    7. Cherries
    8. Kale
    9. Lettuce
    10. Grapes (imported)
    11. Carrot
    12. Pear
    Here are the CLEAN FIFTEEN that you do not have to buy organic due to low pesticide usage in their growth:
    1. Onion
    2. Avocado
    3. Sweet Corn
    4. Pineapple
    5. Mango
    6. Asparagus
    7. Sweet Peas
    8. Kiwi
    9. Cabbage
    10. Eggplant
    11. Papaya
    12. Watermelon
    13. Broccoli
    14. Sweet Potato
    15. Tomato
  10. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

Wow. I'm going to print out the list and keep a copy with me. I hope that all your references and knowledge help heal you to!!! Thanks so much, Tracy. I think that the only thing I knew was grapes - but it's certainly not the only one I eat!!
  11. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

I just checked out that website (Dr Hyman). It makes so much sense. I'm saving the link, I'll need to re-read it. Thank you again!