Help in a blind panic

Discussion in 'Rants and Venting' started by melancholy angel, Aug 24, 2011.

1. melancholy angel

melancholy angel New Member

Hi I am new to this forum and it is great to know there is such a great support network. I don't know what to do my hair loss has been very severe over the last two months. It has been so fast I don't know what to do. My hair is coming out in handfalls and my scalp is showing in lines all down my crown. I have only just turned 30 and don't understand what is happening. My Doctor has done the standard tests and my thyroid is fine, I do not appear to be deficient in anything, the one doctor thought I might have psoriasis and I have been taking Nioxin but it seems to make the shedding worst. I have had digestion problems for a year and a half attributed to IBS but have just been tested for celiac disease and wondered if it was linked or if it was linked to the hair dye I used in July. I just don't know and am hoping my Doctor will refer me to a dermatologist.

It is so bad now that I have become so depressed I cannot eat, cry constantly and have called in sick too many times to work. I don't know what to do I am at the end of my tether. My fiancee is fantastic but I just cannot get out of this cloud, I have such negative thoughts and just want everything to end. I have completely lost perspective and have no idea how to go on. I am considering just shaving my hair all off as it is torture to see it come out in handfalls it has been so quick, I just don't understand.
  2. KathyF

KathyF New Member

I'm so sorry to hear what a tough time you are having melancholy angel... I wish I could wave a magic wand and all of us could have our full heads of hair back again. Hair loss is all consuming isn't it. It gets to the point that it's all you can think about all day long and intense pangs of jealousy arise when we see someone with beautiful hair and we constantly ask ourselves, why me?

How long has your hair loss been going on? Longer than the 2 months it's been shedding? At least your doctor is still investigating and searching for a diagnosis... I do hope he finds an answer for you. And the dermatologist might be able to help as well. It's just a nightmare isn't it... I wish I had a suggestion for you to try, but if you search around on the forum here, there are quite a few examples of what others have tried and what has worked or hasn't worked for them...

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything to help my hair loss and I am also experiencing another bout of severe shedding but have made the decision that I am going to wear a wig until my hair either grows back or falls out all together. I ordered one the other day and hopefully it will arrive in a few days. I just can't stand looking in a mirror any more and I'm thinking that having a bit of hair on my head, even if it is a wig, must be better than what I've got (or haven't got!) at the moment! Best of luck melancholy angel!!