Help me choose? Micropoints? Integrated lace piece? What else?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Solutions' started by joanne, Nov 3, 2010.

1. joanne

joanne New Member

Hi All,
    After two hair transplants, 3 years of laser light treatments, (lots of $$$ spent) I am still very unhappy with my overall thinning, lackluster hair.
    Now what? I have been to two "hair loss experts" who offered very different solutions, along with very different price points. One, who doesn't believe that laser light therapy works, suggested a "tie in piece" for $5,000, with a monthly maintainance fee of $400.! Another said she doesn't "believe in" tie- in pieces, (says they contibute to more hair loss) and suggested toppers. They are different too. One was a lacy looking thing with hair attached; you pull your hair through the lacey openings and blend your own hair with the hair on the piece. The other was a clip in style with a scalp like look to its base. Total confused which way to go but wishing for improvement, I had 50 micropoints placed at the crown.
    I can't notice any difference, this cost me over $300. and some have already fallen out. I am looking for advice on which "solution" to pick.
    Anyone have any experience with micropoints, ???
    Thanks very much for any advice.
  2. lojoblais

lojoblais New Member

I had interlinks done. Great idea. But they use synthetic hair, and it had a totally different consistency than my hair. It would knot terribly, & frizzy up easily. Plus, I had to use a special brush, & blowing out my hair became annoying because as the interlinks grew out they would get caught in my own hair, & tangle ..... so I gave up on it
  3. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

Hi Joanne,

I am curious. When you say you have been to see two "experts", where either of those experts dermatologists who specialize in treating hair loss? Also, where either of them IAHRS members?

I have also had two transplant surgeries. I am happy with what the doctor was able to do for me but I still want more density. I can now get by without wearing hair if I don't want to though.

Anyways, some add-in hair can in fact cause your hair loss to get worse. When I was wearing hair, I had some rules to shopping for it. Rule number one was it had to be something that would not worsen my hair loss. Rule number two was it had to be something I could put on and take off myself without help. Rule number three was it had to intigrate with my own hair as much as possible.

As for laser therapy, I've been using my laser comb for four years. I would not keep using it if I didn't feel it was helping. As a stand alone treatment it wasn't enough for me, but I have seen improvement.

There are not a lot of treatment options currently available. The doctors do the best they can with what is availble. There are minimally invansive regerative solutions that are in the process of obtaining FDA approval right no. I have chosen to continue to manage my hair loss as much as possible with the current available treatments. Howver, when the first regenerative solution becomes available, I will be all over it.

When you have some time, go check out replicel.com. Make sure to watch the video. Help is on the way.
  4. lojoblais

lojoblais New Member

Integrated lace pieces?

Tracy:
    I have been to 2 dermatologists, one a long time ago who is now retired. She gave me some creams, & I washed w/ certain shampoos, etc. It helped at the time.
    For a while, most of my hair had come back. But then about 3 yrs ago I came down w/ interstitial cystitis, & started shedding again. The problem is really only in one spot, on top of my head. I spoke to Spencer Kobren, who is host of the podcast "The Bald Truth", & he suggested a Dr. Bernstein in NYC. I actually met w/ the dr's partner who specializes in women. He encouraged me to try minoxidil, but I hated it, it made my scalp burn & gave me a migraine (which I'm horribly prone to).
    I did the laser treatment for a yr. It seemed to maybe stop the hair loss, but it certainly didn't grow it back.
    I've used viviscal, take the tablets every day & put the night stuff on my scalp. Honestly, I don't think it has really helped, but it does seem to have made the rest of my head of hair look healthier & fuller.
    The dr said I was a candidate for the new follicle transplant, because I had great donor hair. But he did say that my existing hair might suffer fr shock & fall out initially, although he did say it would grow back.
    I don't mind having the piece attached to my head, as long as it's light & doesn't tug on my hair.
    What was your experience w/ the transplants? Do you perhaps have any pics of the growing in process?
    I'm sooooo confused.

btw-I live in NYC, & I'm in the entertainment biz, so appearance is extremely important
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  5. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

My hair loss was really bad. So much so that I buzzed my hair off and became a slave to wigs - as my mother did. Wearing my hair so short during that time did make it easier to treat my hair loss, but it was a devastating experience. I treated my hair loss with laser for the first six months, then added Minoxidil after I saw improvement from the laser treatments. After a year of that, my doctor gave me a script for an anti-androgen. That helped a little more. My hair loss is hereditary androgenetic alopecia, which runs very strong on my mothers side for both males and females. Most of my female relatives on my mothers side are affected. My sister and I are also affected. She is seven years younger than me - and has been taking advantage of everything I've learned so her hair loss hopefully will never get as bad as mine - or our mothers.

Anyways, I do have a stable donor zone so after treating my hair loss for a couple of years I moved forward to surgeries. The first surgery was to fill in the bald patches. The second surgery was to build up density. I did not have noticable shock loss from the first surgery. I had extensive shock loss after the second surgery. Thankfully it has grown back - it is still growing back even now more than a year later. Every time I get my hair done my stylist tells me she sees more hair. So, it's a long road but it is slowly getting better. The waiting is by far the worse part.
  6. lojoblais

lojoblais New Member

So sorry

Your situation seems much worse than mine, I'm so sorry.
    I was naturally blessed w/ a thick head of hair, soo much so that when I was a kid my mom used to have it thinned out in the summer. However, about 12 yrs ago I came down w/ chronic fatigue syndrome & one of the side effects was hair loss.
    I did get much of my hair back - I'd say about 75/% of what I lost. My top was a bit thin, but nothing anyone could see.
    Then, about 3 yrs ago when I came down w/ interstitial cystitis I started shedding again.

Anyway, what method of transplant did you use?
  7. Ava

Ava New Member

I had a transplant a year and a half ago with absolutely no improvement. I spent $8000.00, and am still paying it off and every month I cringe when I send in the payment. The dr. told me I was a good candidate for transplant surgery and after a year when there were no results he said it was because my hair was shedding and causing it all to fall out. I believe he should have known that would happen and not have told me the transplant would work.
  8. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

The doctor used the strip method. I had too much area to cover for FUE to be practical and I really didn't want to buzz my hair off again. It's really not as bad as the horror stories you might read, as long as you choose your surgeon wisely. As I said the worse part is the waiting and the waiting and the waiting...

Just so you know, it is still possible the hair will start growing. In very rare occasions, the patient's scalp takes an extraordinarily long time to normalize. I do not know if you are doing anything else to manage your hair loss, but if you are not that could also be the reason. Unfortunately, it is also possible that you were just not a good candidate. Most women are not and it is much more difficult to determine if a woman is a good candidate for hair transplant surgery. It took my doctor over a year of monitoring my hair to determine if I was good candidate. He was very cautious about it.
  9. Ava

Ava New Member

I often wonder if I could have a claim against the dr. since he wasn't cautious and did mislead me about the results saying it would definitely work.
  10. helenoftroy

helenoftroy New Member

Herbal preparations for hair regrowth

Message for Tracey C,

I was wondering if you have tried any of the herbal regrowth products containing Saw Palmetto, and other herbal products. They are reputedly as good as some of the prescribed hair regrowth products such as porcerin and minoxidil. They are not FDA approved, but there are few reported side effects to using it. The only contraindications with women is it may make hormonal therapies slightly less effective apparently, ie, birth control pills or HRT, so you would just have to have a word with your doc about it if you were considering it. The US company that does it is HLCC Scripts, but I live in the UK and I can get it for a good price through Invisihair.co.uk. I have been using it for temporary hair loss for the past 6 months and it appears to be working, I have seen some improvements.

There is also some good research from Harvard University about hair laser treatment by Prof. M. Hamblin, 2012, posted on the weblink, http://www.invisihair.co.uk/a-review-of-current-hair-loss-research/. Have you tried the full head laser therapy, as opposed to the laser comb? You might get different results. Just some ideas, hope it helps