Hey girls I'm back....with MAJOR UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by elisabeth, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

Cara, I am taking ferrous fumarate via FerroSequels tablets. I purchase these at Walgreen's, but they are available online through Amazon as well, for approximately the same price. A FerroSequel tablet is 160 mg, carrying 50 mg of elemental iron. One tablet is about 278% of the minimum average daily iron requirement. I am taking two tablets, twice per day~! So...I'm getting 1,112% of the minimum average daily iron requirement! That is a LOT of iron...however, this is what my doctor prescribed for me to try to elevate my serum iron and ferritin levels. The tablets that Elizabeth uses in her cocktail are 325 mg each...which she had started at twice per day. So, the four FerroSequels that I take per day (160 mg each X 2 = 320 mg twice per day) is pretty much the same dose of iron. Then, I added the liquid IronSmart at least once during the day. However, I have left the liquid off for the past two weeks...to see what just taking the tablets will do for my next lab work. It's all experimental at this point. Raising my ferritin from 26 to 57 took from October 16 to November 20...so about a month. Plus, I revamped my whole diet....eliminating junk foods, and most sugar...and adding more meat and greens. I've lost ten pounds in that same time frame by doing that, and I'm certain that my overall health is going to benefit greatly...not just my iron levels! Yes; I've seen some new growth recently! Some new little hairs are starting to stick up on the top of my head, both sides of the center part...like the 'halo effect' term that is used to describe when the hairs get to this length (about one inch). Again, I'm very hopeful that I'm on the right track. I shed about 10 hairs this morning during my shampoo (still washing only twice per week)...and about another 20 or so during combing out after air drying. I really need to write more about how my hair progressed from the initial problems to now. Also, I still need to list my supps and the antibiotic I was given in May. Will post as much and as often as I can. Stay tuned...
    CaraMA likes this.
  2. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

I believe it's also important for me to note that I take the cocktail with orange juice....however!...I have not been strict to adhere to the avoidance of caffeine during a two hour period before/after taking the cocktail...nor the eating part. At the most, I've had a one hour abstinence from caffeine and/or food. Caffeine for me would be from tea...iced tea for the most part. So, even with consuming food and drinking caffeine, I have raised my ferritin to that level during that time frame.
  3. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

hey girls! sorry i'm late getting back to you but I dont' get notices anymore when people post for some reason...anyway I just got my labs back this morning and they are near perfect which is interesting b/c on December 15th they were too high and in my danger zone....and I noticed shedding picked up (ahhhhh) so I stopped all iron (but of course took my daily C & LLysine) and 2 days ago (December 23rd) my shedding decreased, all looked great so I ran to get my blood taken and sure enough they are right where I expected them to be! which makes me SO happy b/c this FINALLY confirms my theory that we all have an individual sweetspot where our iron needs to be. of course my theory can't be truly a fact until I maintain these numbers for 6 months and I have no shedding issues. at that point I will be totally convinced. so my labs today are:
    IRON 47 SATURATION 16 FERRITIN 79
    I just knew they would be lower and close to my sweetspot. so now the question is what to do with my iron pills! can't continue to take them daily and can't stay off...every other day made my labs too high so I took 1/2 a pill every 3rd day and that made them go down too much. this is all driving me crazy. I think I should go back to the sulfur pills every other day - the fumarate are just so potent for me. this scares me only b/c fumarate has been so good for me as far as instant results. I need to think about this...
    Ponygirl likes this.
  4. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

yes cara the sulfate was too slow, the fumarate is more potent. but now I think I will give it a try in an attempt to keep my ferritin in the 60's-70's.
    Ponygirl likes this.
  5. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

ive decided to give the ferrous sulphate a try...1 every other day, test again in 10 -14 days. im spending $100 a month on my labs, the blood guy and I are friends now its crazy, but worth it!
    im trying to maintain my current levels for iron & saturation - im ok with my ferritin anywhere in the 60's or low/mid 70's.
    I will report back next year :)
    Ponygirl likes this.
  6. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

PS...when I say my shedding picked up this means more than the previous days but not anything close to what happen right before my tragic day in February when it all left within a week. what I mean specifically is I lose probably 40 hairs in the shower and when styling and then it picked up to maybe 60-70. still well within the normal loss range but scares the hell out of me when it happens b/c I keep thinking it could be the beginning of a new tragedy! even if that did happen I now know how to get it to stop...I stop all iron, donate blood then begin all over again - within 6 weeks it would stop and I'd have pretty hair again. but I am not going there if I have anything to say about it! I am determined to get this under complete control, forever. and ever :)))
    Ponygirl likes this.
  7. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

Hi, gals! I still haven't gotten my new lab work done. Hope to do so next week or just after the first of the year. I'll report back. My daily hair shed is about the same. I still see the new hair growth, so that is positive. I'm very hopeful that the iron is the cause of my problem. Elizabeth, I hope you find a 'formula' that is the exact one for you! :) I'll be back again, soon.
  8. clt

clt New Member

Sorry if you've posted the info somewhere (I'm new here), but could you tell me about the fumerate/sulfur pills? What are they? Thanks!!
    Ponygirl likes this.
  9. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

Hi, clt! These are iron supplements...available at your local drugstore in the vitamin/supplement section...or...you can order them online from such sites as Amazon. There are many brands. Ferrous fumarate is the more potent of the two and would provide faster results in raising iron/ferritin levels in the body. Hope this helps! Alice
  10. clt

clt New Member

Thanks Alice! I ordered them yesterday. My last ferritin serum was 41--back in May. Hopefully that's the reason all my hair is falling out now :( Just curious about how the L-lysine helps in that supplement cocktail?? Any ideas? Happy New Year! Hopefully, we'll all grow some hair back!! :)
    Ponygirl likes this.
  11. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

Hi, clt! Below is an excerpt about L-Lysine...and you can read the entire article at this site: http://www.md-health.com/L-Lysine-Benefits.html

L-lysine is an amino acid (a building block of protein) that is essential for health. However, it cannot be manufactured naturally in the human body like other types of amino acids. Therefore, L-lysine, also called lysine, is considered as one of the eight essential amino acids.
    In order to obtain lysine, one has to eat foods high in its content or take dietary supplements containing it. As a building block for protein, amino acids like L-lysine are necessary for normal growth and development. In particular, L-lysine is needed by the body to manufacture carnitine, a substance that is used in the conversion of fatty acids into energy. It also helps in calcium absorption and collagen formation which are important for muscle and bone health.
    Foods that are high in L-lysine include high protein foods like nuts, red meat, eggs, milk, cheese, beans, and sardines. However, some people may need more than just the usual dietary food to supply their needs for lysine, such as athletes, body builders, vegetarians, and vegans. These people can get additional sources of L-lysine from nutritional supplements in the form of liquids, tablets, or capsules which are available in health stores or pharmacies.

I've found that it also helps in fighting off infections (like the flu/et al) and inflammation (perhaps some of the cause of our hair issues?)...and I followed Elizabeth's guideline in her 'cocktail' of C, Lysine, plus the iron supplement).

Yeah, it sounds as it this could be your 'smoking gun', too! I have to get a new lab done soon...and, I'm seeing new hair growth (yay!)...so my ferritin and iron must be up a lot now! Ferritin was up to 57 in late November...and that is when my shed decreased. Happy New Year to you, too....and I sure hope we all grow our hair back and find the ideal solutions!
    Alice
  12. clt

clt New Member

Great Info. I will read the link this morning. My supplements should be here by the end of the week, thanks again for your help!
    Ponygirl likes this.
  13. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

clt, keep us posted on how you're doing.
    Alice (about the same here...didn't get to go to the clinic yet for my new lab work...soon)
  14. clt

clt New Member

Definitely! Just started my iron/l-lysine/vitamin C a few days ago. :)
    Ponygirl likes this.
  15. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

hey girlies please get your labs done FREQUENTLY THROUGHOUT your hair battle, until you have won the war! once you have conquered it, then get it done every 4-6 months FOREVER. my last labs 2 weeks ago were perfect in that they reflected hardly any shedding and my hair was great (ferritin 79) so I took sulfate every other day as my attempt to maintain a ferritin level between 60-70 since ANY LOWER OR HIGHER puts me in the danger zone of massive hair shed. just got my labs back and I knew there was something wrong because 3 days ago my shedding picked up all of a sudden...ferritin is 91. back to the drawing board! new plan: stay on the sulfate but every 4th day. ill retest in 2 weeks and report back. im telling you there is a sweetspot for all of us and the battle plan is to figure it out through trial n error.
    Ponygirl likes this.
  16. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

i think I have a brilliant idea! taking 1/2 an iron pill every other day spikes my ferritin & I need to figure out a way to take it routinely but reduce its strength.
    so we all know "Taking iron with food can decrease how much iron is absorbed by the body by 40% to 50%. For best absorption, iron should be taken on an empty stomach" my idea is to take it every other day but WITH food, maybe even a little caffeine to get half the iron into my sensitive little system. sound good, bad? feedback please :)
    Ponygirl likes this.
  17. clt

clt New Member

Or, take it 1 day, take 2 days off??
    Ponygirl likes this.
  18. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

by the way I started taking Solgar brand Biotin 10k mg and 800mcg of folic acid and I noticed my hair got longer just in the past week...good stuff. now I just gotta keep it all in! im taking my cocktail on a full stomach and see where that leads...im hoping it leads to ferrtitin in the 60's :p
  19. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

I would not normally post all my labs but I know this could be helpful to someone so im doing it!
    I have not had any iron for 10 days because it was too close to the danger zone / just did labs yesterday and my ferritin is exactly where I want it, 65. BUT my iron serum & saturation is way too high (78,26%) so I think this tells me that ferrous sulphate is no good for me and to go back to my tried n true ferrous fumarate.
    starting today it's my cocktail every 3rd day, only 1/2 a pill on a FULL belly to decrease the absorption. will report back in 2 weeks. **DAILY taking Lysine & C**
    BTW my hair shedding is minimal and it looks great. and I feel I am real close to finding just the right dosage for me...im referring to this as my goldilocks dosage :)
  20. Doevix

Doevix New Member

Good to hear! Happy for you. I tried to just make a comment but I am not sure where? I suppose it is just in the status section. Anyway I'm sorry to do it here on your thread. But I feel I must express this as I am so relieved to have found some time of community where it is allowed to express such issues freely and this its the first comment section I found. I am so heart broken as my physical beauty is fading. I'm crying all the time as I'm sure many of your understand. I am 23 and my hair has gone to voluptuous and thick to seemingly barely there. I feel like a wounded animal that evolutionarily speaking is defunct and inadequate as far as our socially acceptable ideas of what females should represent. Love manifested on a physical plane, just as a rose blossoms and spreads fragrance, would be the view of the human feminine especially in the eyes of the male. And you may say that validation and worth must not come from the opposite sex or from others but from within, and this may be true. But in a year I went from being sexually attractive and comfortable and physically inviting in almost every setting to never going anywhere, never talking to friends, not believing that I'm worthy of any males attention or even worthy for myself with this attitude, and a complete sorrowful wounded animal that crys when I see beautiful people. tbjs mentality is a sickness. And my life is epicly plagued. I don't make eye contact. I don't meet people. And I try not to look in the mirror. Life is strange. And this is a weird path to be on. And I don't know what to do.