Hey girls I'm back....with MAJOR UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by elisabeth, Nov 25, 2014.

1. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

you are amongst SO MANY women going through the same thing so first off, know you are not alone in this! now you must find your smoking gun...if you have not already please read my very first post under the "success stories" forum called "I finally did it, no more hair loss". you must now search for the cause of the problem because what is happening to you is NOT normal and there is a reason for it. if you read through that long thread there are many insightful posts by many of us. my suggestion is run and get your labs done. there is a link in one of my posts that lists every blood test that should be given for a women with hair loss...that is the first step in unraveling this mystery. you are so young, you will have many years of beautiful hair again soon! if you are as tenacious as I am, then I'm sure of it :)
  2. Doevix

Doevix New Member

Elizabeth thank you I have read all over these messages on this thread, anyway. I have been taking a daily vitamin, biotin, b12, hair/skin/nails, and l-lycine just in the last month and have continued to notice more issues. I first noticed my thickness thinning October 2013. I convinced myself OFCOURSE it was my imagination like any observant person would. Anyway back then I went to a doctor, they said it was natural shedding process don't worry. In my naivety I graciously thanked them for answering my mystery. Lol. And then next time I asked during another check up and they said no no no it was stress. Next time they told me to intake more protein. And this time this doc told me it most likely is androgenic alopecia and there's is not much to be done about the matter. I appreciated her delicate handling and OFCOURSE instantly cried and layers dark circles under my eyes within days. Emotional turmoil does a number. Shall I go see a dermatologist because I just made an appointment today? Will I be able to acquire all of the results from the blood test list you provided there? Or is there another route? A local private lab can produce all of those results? Or would it be wise to at least see a derm as I never have before? Thank you. You have no idea how this has given me a bit of hope and I am eternally grateful.
  3. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

I would go to the derm since you already have the apt & IF your insurance will cover all the labs then insist she order a full blood work up AND INCLUDE iron AND FERRITIN...not just iron make sure she knows that. now if you have no insurance then do what I do and order the iron+ferritin from an online lab that works with Labcorp and you will have your results within 24 hours for about $50. I had my blood drawn yesterday at 2:30pm and my results were emailed to me at 8am this morning. I use privatemdlabs.com and I always use a 15% off coupon code. I would like to see if you have the same issues as me or rule it out. but most hair loss is iron related (low ferritin). so when will you be getting the labs done?! im anxious to know the results.
  4. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

by the way my issue is "iron deficiency without anemia"...for some reason my iron storage is always low and the first thing the body rejects is hair so I always need to feed my iron stores. your problem could be as easy as mine or perhaps its more complex and then you have all these girls to help you with issues like low thyroid which always has major hair loss.
  5. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

another by the way...my hair shedding started when I was around your age and got worse over the years and I did not stop it until only last year at age 43 so TWENTY darn years of wondering what the hell was up! you are so lucky to be in the internet age where the answers to your ails are out there to find. you will be cured!!
  6. Doevix

Doevix New Member

Ok thanks! So I did get my labs back. But before I share I'm going to describe my symptoms to see if they are similar to yours?? So I noticed thinning about a year ago. Excessive shedding at first which I did not worry about because my hair was so damn thick. But then the shedding seeming normal but I noticed my hair was not regaining thickness. More follicles were going into resting phrase. This happened all over my head by mostly on top where I tend to pull it the most while scrunching my hair(which I did a lot by the way) so hopefully that's why it was mostly on top? And also I would experience a slight occasional burning sensation in my scalp and when i move my hair I feel the roots and it is uncomfortable .???? I am hoping for the love of everything that it is not due to androgens. My labs noted normal levels of free testosterone and total testosterone and TSH and everything else EXCEPT for ferritin which was 40. Which was within normal limits but based off of what I've read it needs to be above 70 for new hair growth.....
    My questions for you are, were those symptoms similar to yours? Does it sound like it's male pattern baldness? Or could the low ferritin be the answer? Wish you all the best. Thanks for any feed back
    Ponygirl likes this.
  7. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

I know nothing of hormone related hair loss, only iron issues. 40 is a red flag for me BUT IT IS NOT TRUE THAT IT MUST BE OVER 70!! I heard that as well, tried to get it over 70 then when it did all my hair fell out. Please begin the cocktail and keep a journal so you know the very day that the shedding significantly decreases and on that day or within a few days go get your labs done. I would contend that whatever that number is, is YOUR optimum level whether it's 60 or 100. then the tricky part is maintaining that number and not going much less or much over. for me, my magic ferritin numbers are in the 60's to low 70's. any higher I have shedding. im so excited to see if this works for you! when are you starting the cocktail? and by the way, within 2-3 weeks of starting it I had great results. its amazing how fast the body responds when you supplement. I would start off the cocktail 2x a day, doesn't matter when. but please get your iron levels checked the moment you see the improvement! (IRON & FERRITIN NOT JUST IRON)
  8. Rjade829

Rjade829 New Member

elisabeth, I finally got a ferritin test done at a lab this morning. I'm supposed to have results within 24-48 hours. I'm so excited...I've been meaning to get this done ever since I read your original post here. If, in fact, my ferritin is low, I'm going to get a food intolerance test to see if I'm eating anything that may be preventing my body from absorbing iron/other nutrients. I've always eaten plenty of red meat and had a fairly well-balanced diet, and I was on the pill for 10+ years which lightened my periods, so I'm thinking that if I do have low iron stores, malabsorption is the most likely culprit. I'll keep you all posted!
  9. Doevix

Doevix New Member

What exactly is the cocktail again? I drink copious amounts of Orange juice and already take l-lycine and hair skin and nails and daily vitamin and biotin and b12.... Is there more???
  10. Rjade829

Rjade829 New Member

Doevix, elisabeth was taking iron supplements with the orange juice and l-lysine.
  11. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

I eat red meat 3x per week and cannot absorb it either and you can spend a lot of money and time trying to figure out why and never solve the underlining problem. my only symptom is hair loss so as long as the supplements fix that, I AM DONE PLAYING INVESTIGATOR! the choice is yours but I am totally happy right now and don't need to figure out why. as soon as you get your results you better run to let us know!!
  12. Rjade829

Rjade829 New Member

Okay so my ferritin came back at 63. That's actually not bad! At least I can rule that out. I'll be getting more tests in the near future and will post if I figure anything out...
  13. CaraMA

CaraMA New Member

Just a quick note - please make certain you all do a thyroid panel (not simply the TSH that most PCPs rely on). Had I known this 5 months ago, my protocol would have been significantly different. My Thyroid antibodies were tested about 3 weeks and showed that I have Hashimoto's which causes hair loss as well as a host of other not so charming things.

I am in a wait pattern ... trying to get a grasp on the incredible stress (which causes shedding) and trying to up my ferritin, vit. D. Hashimoto's als0 prevents adequate absorption of necessary nutrients and vitamins to stop shedding and to sustain regrowth. Most likely this is part of the reason that I was only up to 24 at my last test ... up from 7 over the summer.
  14. Doevix

Doevix New Member

Hey guys! So my ferritin level was 35....and my DHT level was on the high side of normal. I was also low in selenium and b victims and c and d. I've started taking ester c, vitamin d, b complex, 25 mg iron, was already taking l lycine, and also taking fish oil now and ubiquinol, along with biotin. OMG is this not getting out of hand? So it seems that if I have low ferritin and high ish DHT (but still in normal limits) it could be both hormones and vitinanand deficiency. Fudge. Anyway. Does anyone have any advice? And also should I take a stronger dose of iron?? Thyroid came back fine with a couple of test done. But with iron AND selenium low that's a big sign that it could be thyroid according to skme sources? IDK this is mega strange and confusing. I have not noticed and increase in hair growth and have been taking this for about 3 weeks
  15. Connie Cepaitis

Connie Cepaitis New Member

16. Connie Cepaitis

Connie Cepaitis New Member

17. trudy19

trudy19 New Member

I just started with viviscal, and started a new thread discussion about it. It's dedicated only to viviscal, though my first post shares some of my own background info and about my hair. Please check it out or add your own insights on viviscal... I'm new to the site, or rather, newly signed up as a member. I want to try to help myself but see if it might help others along the way.
    Ponygirl and Dominique like this.
  18. mnewman

mnewman New Member

Hey Elisabeth. I've been following your story from the beginning and started your famous cocktail shortly after your first post. I got my ferritin up lightning fast and shedding stopped for several months. To maintain my ferritin at around 70ish, I only take the cocktail once a week and then take it every day during my period. It seems to keep me around 70. That iron regimen works so fast that it doesn't take much...for me at least. Hope this helps....

I am shedding lately as I just had surgery 2 months ago but it's starting to slow down again, thank God. And my scalp has been itching like crazy! Not sure if that's good or bad. I haven't seen new growth yet. Still searching for the combo to wake up my sleeping follicles.

Best of luck to you and all of us. Blessings!

Marisa
    Ponygirl likes this.
  19. mnewman

mnewman New Member

My husband just reminded me of something else I Thought about..... Is it possible that on the days you only take vitamin C & Lysine you are causing your body to absorb much more iron from foods than you would without it? So this may be like taking some iron even on days you don't take iron. Creating an iron sponge so to speak. Just an idea...
  20. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

BRILLIANT!! kiss your husband for me! kiss you for me!!
    Ponygirl likes this.