Hi

Discussion in 'Hair Loss Causes' started by Melissa66, May 27, 2009.

1. Melissa66

Melissa66 New Member

Hello everyone, I`m so glad to find this forum. It seemed to pop up on a day where i needed it the most. Feeling very sad today. Looked in the mirror and it seems like there is less hair than yesterday. I am a diabetic and just found out that I have lupus. I`m home with my kids for years now but was a hairdresser ( Not joking) before that. Its getting harder to leave the house lately. I`m convinced people are staring at the lack of hair on my head. Its soooooo depressing. Its so nice to find a forum where others can relate. I was beginning to feel so alone. The toppers product sounds very interesting. Does anyone know of a good place to go on Long island New York for that? Nice to meet you all. , Melissa
    Angela likes this.
  2. Angela

Angela Moderator

Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear that you have just been diagnosed with Lupus. What parts of your body have been affected? I have SLE. For me, if I am around the fumes of hair dyes and hair chemicals it can cause a flare up. Have you noticed the same thing? If you have SLE, usually the hair loss is reversible.
  3. Melissa66

Melissa66 New Member

I haven`t noticed a flare up around hair dye.Although it could be happening. I was in so much pain for years and I was seeing 4 different dr.s. None of them talking to each other. Just kept adding drugs for me to take. I was crying all the time, I couldn`t put sentences together, Then i started falling, and dropping things. All along i had the reddest cheeks and a rash on my chest. my cheeks actually turned blue one day. I was soooo swollen all over. People that i knew for along time didn`t know who I was in the street. Finally, Finally, the neuro told me that she figured out I had lupus. From my blood work and the rashes my rgular Dr should have diagnosed me years before. So I took matters in to my own hands. I stopped the steroids and the pain meds and my insulin. They were all causing me to swell up and in turn making my pain worse. I was very worried at first about my sugar levels and I didn`t tell my dr i was doing it either. I told my husband that i would rather live a year feeling good than 10 the way i was feeling. He freaked out. Hes a truck driver and away for most of the week. He was worried about the kids. My oldest is 18 and legally blind and I have an 17 year old and an 8 year old son with ADHD. Plus to add to it my 18 had a baby boy last summer that i basically am raising. Is it any wonder my hair is falling out?LOL Anyway.....Since stopping the meds I have lost 65 pounds, I am not in pain.. well not as bad as I was. It just seems like all of a sudden my hair is falling out more than ever. Its mostly on top. What a mouthful haha aren`t you glad you asked?
  4. Angela

Angela Moderator

Yup, I understand the pain. Mine affects me neurologically as well. I have been partially paralyzed in the past. Tremors and uncontrollable shaking also. I have also had the rash on my face, neck and chest and once it turned a dark purple. Being out here in New Mexico, we are at a high elevation and the UV rays are starting to affect my skin. My face and chest broke out two days ago while I was doing some landscaping in my back yard. I came inside and my husband gasped. LOL I had to stay in after that.
    Steriods are a tricky thing. While they can help with the inflammation, they have been known to cause temporary hair loss. I never experienced hair loss while taking it, but I did turn into a lush for a while! LOL I am not particularly fond of sweets, but when I'm on high doses of prednisone, all I can think about is eating chocolate cake and other deserts resulting in me gaining TONS of weight! The very last time I had to go on prednisone, I swore that I would NOT eat another sweet thing while on the meds...but a strange thing happened! I started taking up drinking 100 proof schnapps! Holy crap was my husband freaked out. It started on a Saturday afternoon when I got this craving for peach iced tea with peach schnapps and finished off the whole big bottle the next day (by myself!), then I made him get me some rum, then back to the schnapps. This went on for almost two weeks I think, and he was really worried that I was turning into an alcoholic. :eek: I didn't understand it myself, but then I looked at the amount of SUGAR that was in the ice tea mix and the fact that the alcohol I was consuming was straight up sugar as well, and BAM! we realized that the sweet tooth just took a different form. I've never been one for hard liquor...just a beer and wine girl, but this was out of control. After we solved the mystery to my lushiness, I of course stopped drinking all that alcohol. Our bodies seem to know what they want and will bypass our thinking...well, at least mine does.

As far as your hair loss goes, it could be a due to the meds that you were on, or it could be from having Lupus. Temorary hair loss does happen in some people as a side effect of it due to your autoimmune system attacking the hair follicles. Usually when you come out of a flare, the hair should start to grow back. My sister also has SLE but her's affects her blood. She has never had any hair loss problems while in a flare up. She used to be a hair dresser though, and when she stopped working in that field, her flare up subsided.
    Do you feel that you can handle things without the insulin?
  5. Melissa66

Melissa66 New Member

OMG, Thats too funny. I get cravings too. They are so intense. I get something in my mind and thats all I can think about. Its like i eat one particular thing all week. Once it was steamed chinese dumplings. I don`t even like them. usually. Then it was chocolate twizzlers and swedish fish. Its crazy sometimes. I`m not of a drinker either so I hope I don`t get that craving. With all my falling and trouble getting my words out... people probably already think I`m drunk. lol About my insulin..... I know. I`ve been thinking about it too. I have to go and get my blood work. My Dr is going to be so mad with me. I was just so tired of being sick and tired. So i guess i play health hookie for awhile. I just feel so much better without the insulin. i`m afraid that my blood work will be just awful. I am never going back on that stuff. I`m thinking I might just go for a few more months without the whole dr thing. I just want to enjoy part of the summer with my kids and grandson 1st birthday is coming up in July. i`m planning a big backyard party for him. Being 1/2 bald will bad enough. I don`t want to feel like crap too. I`m embarrased to say that i ordered one of those hair toppers from HSN. It was only $40. I figured it was worth a try. Its supposed to come next week. i`ll let everyone know how it is. I realize the sun must be getting to you but I hear that new mexico is soooo beautiful. Do you love it there?
  6. kawawa

kawawa New Member

Is your topper a human hair topper?
  7. Angela

Angela Moderator

Nothing to be embarrassed about in getting a topper. Its better to be prepared rather than feel uncomfortable 1/2 bald. New Mexico has the most beautiful weather. I'm getting used to desert life, but sometimes that is difficult. I'm not in a place that has lots of trees like up north. That is where I would ultimately like to live and settle. Up past Santa Fe is gorgeous. It really is very pleasant here, although I haven't survived a summer here yet...that's coming soon. We're ready for it though! We have a pool. LOL I do enjoy living here.

If you aren't taking your meds, have you considered doing some dry skin brushing everyday? It can help with the circulation in your skin. Its a thought.
  8. Melissa66

Melissa66 New Member

No its not real. This is what the add says"
    • Made from a unique modacrylic synthetic fiber that looks and feels like real hair.
    • Large honeycomb wefts make it easy to pull your own hair through for seamless camouflage.
    • 4 pressure sensitive clips assure a secure attachment.
    • Easily maintained by washing with a mild shampoo.
    • Affordable, lightweight and easy to attach, this virtually undetectable hairpiece can be put in and taken out in a matter of minutes.
    • With slightly wavy hair, this accessory adds extra volume, bounce and va-voom to your tresses.
    • Made up of 16-18 differing hair shades, low lights and highlights, much like your natural hair.
    Available in 14 colors:
  9. Melissa66

Melissa66 New Member

Dry skin Brushing? is it with a special brush? I`ll try just about anything.
  10. Angela

Angela Moderator

You can get a medium firm bristled natural skin brush from a health food store.
    Dry skin brushing helps to stimulate the lymphatic system and circulation of your skin, which can be very helpful for someone with diabetes.
    You can do it before you hop in the shower and also at night. It will help to remove dead skin cells, but also help to keep the blood and lymphatic system moving.
    The way to skin brush is always to start at the outer extremities brushing up towards the heart since that is the direction the lymphatic system moves. You don't want to push hard...just gentle long strokes up. The same with your legs and anywhere else you skin brush...always towards the heart. You can google dry skin brushing and there are several different techniques.
    I guess to me (of course I'm not a doctor, LOL) with the circulation problems that can develop with diabetes, it couldn't hurt to keep your system active.
    I have found that when I skin brush after about five minutes, my whole body starts to heat up a little. It kind of gets hot and flushed, so it feels good to get in the shower afterwards.
  11. Melissa66

Melissa66 New Member

dry brushing

Good Morning, So I went online while drinking my morning coffee and I found a good site on dry brushing. I can`t believe what I read. I`m going to go and get a brush in a bit. i`m soooo pissed though. I cannot believe that not one of my dozens of doctors over the years ever mentioned this to me. All the info I just read really would make one believe that it could only benefit someone with my type of diseases. Thanks so much Angela for your kindness and info. I was having a really crappy couple of weeks and then out of the blue stumbled onto this site. Not that I would wish my pain or disease on anyone else EVER. Its just nice though to find someone who can really, really relate. Its a beautiful day today. 70`s and sun after raining like crazy for a few days. i`m going to get my brush and then enjoy the weather with my family. Have a wonderful day yourself!!!!
  12. Angela

Angela Moderator

You're welcome hon, I'm glad you found a site for skin brushing that worked for you AND I'm glad you joined us as well. heehee. :>