Holy moly!!!!! Ferritin skyrocketed!!!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by elisabeth, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Rhia

Rhia New Member

I am new here and feeling very hopeful reading all of this. I am 48 and have had hair loss since my late 20s. My mother had very little hair by the time she was 81 when she died and I always looked at her head knowing this was my fate as well. Around the year 2000 my part was becoming very wide (TE I assume) and I found Dr. Klein online and went to see him in NYC. He gave me Remox, and told me to take Saw Palmetto. I did this and my hair loss stopped immediately. My hair seemed to fill in alot and after a few years I used nothing. I got married at age 39 in 2006 and had a difficult time trying to conceive and suffered miscarriages. I went on to try IVF but had no success as my FSH(?) was low and I had no follicles even with fertility meds. I am 47 now and my hair loss is increasing and the top of my scalp is alarming when I hold a mirror there or take a pic of the top of my head. My head is full of very short, fine hairs. As if that is as long as it will grow. My hair length never seems to increase. I called Dr Klein last year and he put me on Promox, but didnt say to take Saw Palmetto and I see no improvement. I know he is deceased now, and his products are temporarily unavailable, ( I just got an email saying they are coming back) but reading your posts is giving me new hope by trying this different approach. Please forgive me for asking what has been asked or posted before, but is my first step getting my own blood test to check ferritin levels? I am going to take some time meanwhile and read through every page of posts about this. My email is wonderwmn107@aol.com if anyone would like to connect with me to direct me further. -Rhia
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    Ponygirl likes this.
  2. Rhia

Rhia New Member

I just had bloodwork done about a month ago and I had the Dr. office fax me my results. Nothing about ferritin on there, so I guess its a specific thing I have to ask for. I have an appt tomorrow at 11 am. I have been reading about ferritin and TE and it fits me 100%.
    Ponygirl likes this.
  3. Allision

Allision New Member

Thank You Much For The All Information, I Am Going To Follow Same Cocktail That You Are Taking And Hopefully Soon.... :)
    Ponygirl likes this.
  4. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

Update: Four weeks into the 'iron cocktail'. I'm increasing my cocktail from 2X per day to 3X. I'm seeing slightly less shedding for the past few days...still way-too-much...but, I'm hopeful my iron/ferritin is increasing. As mentioned, I have will have lab done on 11-20 to see where I am. I checked into privatemdlabs regarding checking my ferritin w/o a doctor's visit; however, the labs are located too far for me to make that viable with my schedule, so I'll have to stay with my doctor for now for this. This hair loss is beyond frustrating. Interesting that, everyone I've spoken to about the iron deficiency/hair loss correlation, is completely unaware! Why, oh why, don't doctors spread this information?? Especially to those of us who suffer with heavy monthly bleeding?? I'm angry.
    Allision likes this.
  5. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

Good luck to all of you! I'm with you and hopeful!
  6. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

I also have added a Saw Palmetto capsule to my daily regimen of supplements.
    Allision likes this.
  7. Allision

Allision New Member

Any More Information About This Please Tell Me More....
    Ponygirl likes this.
  8. Allision

Allision New Member

Here Is A So Nice And Help Full Information For Us.... :)
    Ponygirl likes this.
  9. CurlKeeper

CurlKeeper New Member

Wow, this sounds so much like my story as far as the bleeding and clotting. Now that I know more about hair loss it had finally become clear to me why I've lost more hair recently when the bleeding condition happened in July of this year. Thank you for your words of inspiration. I have a little more hope now
    Ponygirl likes this.
  10. cipota100

cipota100 New Member

Hi there Ponygirl, and others. Thanks for posting the recommendation of Ironsmart. I'm going to look for it. I have also been working on trying to boost my ferretin levels, for the past year or so, and it's slow going. I seem to have trouble absorbing iron; I take a large amount of supplement s(four Proferrin tablets and 1 Ferramax tablet per day, always on an empty stomach and combined with vitamin C pills), and I've been doing that for months and still have a ferretin of only 37, yet I know the target is 70. So that is one problem I'm trying to sort out, getting GI tests completed to see if there's something wrong in my gut. I don't have terribly heavy periods. But one thing i do know is that it takes a long time for a higher ferretin, once you reach it, to reflect in lowered hair loss. My understanding is that once you increase your ferretin to the desired level, it can take 2 - 3 months for the hair shedding to normalize. That seems to be the standard "wisdom" on this. I'd love to know how your situation works out, and also "Healthygirl" and others who have been responding to this thread. BTW, I have lost about half of my hair since March (i.e. in 8 and a half months).
    Ponygirl likes this.
  11. Karibear

Karibear New Member

I take Ironsmart and it seems to have helped. I also take liquid iron and a multivitamin with iron in it. My ferritin levels are finally above 70 and my hair shed is normal now. Most of the hair I shed is long now and my hair is thickening. It is a slow process. When I first started shedding heavily last year, it was awful. I went to the doctor and he was not sure what was going on. So I had to do my own research and told him on my next appointment what blood tests I needed. My ferritin was only 34. So I started taking iron in March of this year. It took months to improve. But it worked for me.

I was so depressed when my hair was shedding heavily. No one else could tell it was thinner, but I could. I became paranoid others could tell, but it was not obvious. My beautiful, thick hair was a huge part of my identity. It was my vanity. Losing at least a 1/4 of it was devastating. I sank into a severe depression and had anxiety so bad I had trouble even getting to sleep at night.

I learned a lot from this experience though. I now realize that I am more than my hair. I am a beautiful person inside and out with or without my hair.

This is the first time I posted, and I thought I would share my success story to encourage others. There is a hope. At the same time, while my hair is returning, it may never be as thick as it was again. I accept that. I also appreciate this forum, reading it daily and knowing I was not alone, encouraged me so much.

And maybe one day soon, I will have the courage to get a haircut again. But while I am not obsessively counting hairs shed anymore or freaking out inside when anyone looks at or touches my hair, I'm not sure I could handle having a hairdresser touch it yet. It has been over a year since this all started and I am much better now emotionally. I no longer let thoughts of my hair consume me.
    dream1649 and Ponygirl like this.
  12. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

At work...will respond soon as I can! But just quickly...you can get IronSmart through Amazon.
  13. dream1649

dream1649 New Member

1. Hope things work out for you.
    Ponygirl likes this.
  14. dream1649

dream1649 New Member

I need to learn to accept my hair and let it go like you did.
    Karibear and Ponygirl like this.
  15. dream1649

dream1649 New Member

I stress to much about my hair.​
    Ponygirl likes this.
  16. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

It's hard for me to pinpoint the exact time when I noticed a significant increase in my hair shedding...but, it was probably around April or May of this year. I waited until September to make a Dr. appt., which at that time, the hair loss was really concerning me. What really scares me is that - had I not had such a huge hair issue occurring - I may not have made that Dr. appt.! After all my hair loss research...and discovering this forum and Elizabeth's story of the iron/hair correlation...that is when I knew I had to see a Dr. to get my iron levels tested. I was dying a slow death from iron deficiency anemia!

I just got back from my Dr. appt. today. More blood was drawn to check my ferritin level. I've been on the iron cocktail for approximately one month and I added the liquid IronSmart about three weeks ago. I believe the IronSmart is going to be the key to getting my iron level increased. Perhaps I'm taking too much; but, I don't think so. I'm determined to get this shedding stopped and regrow my hair. I believe my shedding has decreased some...today, including a wash, I probably only lost 50-60 hairs. For all practical knowledge, that is within a 'normal' daily hair shed. However, that is not normal for me. Before the anemia, I only shed maybe 20 hairs per day. I should note that I'm a natural dark, honey blonde, long straight hair, very fine in texture, I'm 55 years of age, and have never colored my hair...and I only have a few noticeable greys. Since this shed has started, I believe I've lost at least 1/3 of my hair, and possibly as much as 1/2. My ponytail diameter is half of what it used to be. I had waist-length when the shed started and I cut off probably 8 inches to decrease any weight to my sensitive scalp. Yes; in retrospect, I had scalp redness in the early weeks of the shed, probably as far back as April. In early September, I experienced the 'creepy-crawly' scalp feeling and a tingling/burning sensation. This corresponds to the height of my hair shedding...approximately 300-400 hairs per day is my best estimate. I did not hand count. I was stressed enough without resorting to that.

I hope my experience will also help others. I will report back as soon as I get my new ferritin level result. It may be as early as tomorrow evening according to my clinic.

I mentioned this on another post, but I also revamped my nutrition, have eliminated any use of hair products with sulfates or parabens, I only use shampoo and conditioner (OGX brand) - no other styling products - and, I reduced my hair washing from daily to only twice per week. I also stopped blow drying. I let it dry naturally.
  17. Karibear

Karibear New Member

It is not easy, but so worth it. I remember watching Frozen last December and her song about letting it go. I was not there yet then though. Her song moved me, but I still had a lot to work through emotionally.
    Ponygirl likes this.
  18. Ponygirl

Ponygirl Member

I had to log back in tonight...I have my ferritin results from today's lab work. I'm at 57! That is great news. So, I believe I am NOT imagining things...my hair shed should start tapering off now that I'm above 40. Now...to shoot for the magical 'above 70 for regrowth'. I'm cautiously optimistic. I do feel so much better with my iron levels being raised. It's like I'm a new person. If I can get my hair back, I will really be happy. As I said, I believe adding the IronSmart, in addition to the 'iron cocktail' is the key to the fast increase. I will continue to update.
    dream1649 likes this.
  19. dream1649

dream1649 New Member

20. dream1649

dream1649 New Member

Sounds great for you. ☺☺
    Ponygirl likes this.