Holy moly!!!!! Ferritin skyrocketed!!!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by elisabeth, Jan 28, 2014.

1. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

PS since taking the Thorne Biotin I swear my curls are forming into lovely thick ringlets...I know it sounds crazy but its true. like overnight.
  2. chestnut20

chestnut20 New Member

It is really scary that the blood test for thyroid does not show something as serious as polyps! I am getting my iron and vit D results next week - after 4 months. I can't see any improvement; it is very strange but the week before my period my hair starts to look awful and sheds more, then about 2 weeks into the month after the period it looks much better and I get the impression things are improving, but they are not. I'm already 2.5 years into this and don't know whether iron is the issue any more. I am still shedding small thin hairs along with the normal ones. For some reason these don't develop into full-grown hairs.
    I will re-check hormones next week as well and will post all results.
    I will experiment with better nutrition and I've also started taking the Thorne iron. However one pill has only 25mg - that is hardly anything compared to the 109 mg I have been taking. I am getting a bit scared about taking so much iron, because I read that free-floating iron is dangerous and toxic and if I'm not absorbing it into ferritin, it can cause cell damage. When I investigated this absorption problem two years ago when this started the hematologist told me I can take a lot of iron without a problem, because so much of it does not get absorbed and my ferritin is low. However, no one had told me that having high free floating iron in your blood stream, which is what taking iron supplements does to you, can cause cell damage if not accompanied by a lot of anti-oxidants. Has anyone heard some facts about that?
  3. thegreendiva

thegreendiva New Member

Elisabeth - your updates are so inspiring. Please keep us in the loop. I'd love it if my frizzy curls turned into ringlets. Please post exactly what you're taking now and how often
  4. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

Ghad7, I want you to know the info you provided about Thorne products have changed my life and my hair! Because of you I take all Thorne C, Biotin, Lysine, B complex, Follic acid. I've been on them for about 3 weeks now . Overnight my hair became shiny and within a week it grew I swear an inch. My 3 youngest children were all born healthy but LOW birth weight and I bet it's bc my body had such low or no Follic acid and iron.

Your post possibly changed my life. I don't know for certain if I'm missing this gene (mtfth) but it sure seems like it. THANK YOU!!!! I wonder if by taking all the Thorne products I can now maintain a normal iron on my own? Or do you think I'll still have to supplement? BTW I have not taken any iron in about a month and just solely taking my "Thornes".
  5. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

Hi Diva!
    Right now I am only taking Thorne absorbic acid, Lysine, Follic acid, Biotin, and B complex - all purchased from Amazon. My last 3 labs came back with my iron and ferritin too high for my comfort so I've stopped iron for the past 3-4 weeks. I got my blood done yesterday and the results will post Monday morning since the lab is closed on weekends. If it can stay where I want it without supplementing that'll be so terrific. How are you doing?
  6. thegreendiva

thegreendiva New Member

Hi Elisabeth,

I got the Thorne Basic B Complex yesterday and started taking it today.

I've read the safest form of iron is carbonyl and ferrous can be toxic. So I will be ditching my ferrous tablets once my order arrives. Makes sense why so many struggle to tolerate iron tablets.

My version of your cocktail is:

Carbonyl iron
    L-lysine (500g)
    Vitamin C (500g) Twice a day

Along with Thorne B Complex and Biotin once a day.

I also have kelp tablets, milk thistle and a variety of supplements that I may have to throw out but I may take them a couple of times a week to use them up.

Really my focus is on being happy with what I have - my colleague commented on how nice my skin is. And I've been so obsessed with my hair shedding that it's not healthy. I'm relishing being healthy, eating nutritious foods and taking care of myself. I only joined this forum to thank Elisabeth!

I read about a study of iron deficient children who were given both iron and vitamin C. Once their iron was at an optimum level the iron was stopped and vitamin c with meals continued. Their deficiency went away as the vitamin c helped them absorb more iron from their meals. So I think you can stop/reduce iron but may have to look at boosting absorption. I'm so happy for you. Hopefully in 6 months time I will be where you are!
  7. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

That's real interesting about that study. But I guess my lab works on Saturdays bc I got my labs back and all my levles are exactly where I would like them to just freeze...but they have all steadily decreased over the last month since taking no iron. I don't want to risk going too low and losing all that I've gained so I took half an iron pill yesterday and will just do this once a week and retest in 2 weeks.
    Now that I'm taking Thorne absoric acid/C I should be absorbing meat better according to the article you mentioned but I think I need to be on it a little while more before stopping all iron again. Having blood tests as often as I want to has made this problem so much easier to solve...bc I have a chart of iron levels and hair condition. When my ferritin is over 75 it sheds, when its between 50-70 it's perfect. And the saturation seems to be VERY crucial as well...when it's between 14%-17% I'm great but when it's above that my hair sheds too much. It's all such a delicate balance.
  8. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

By the way I will take my C with meals now as you suggested - you may have just found the final clue to my mystery!! Thank you :)
  9. thegreendiva

thegreendiva New Member

I guess you may need to take very low amounts of iron for some time. I plan to ditch the iron tablets once my ferritin is up. I am happy to take Spatone (a natural iron-rich water) to sustain levels. How do you balance the iron saturation?
  10. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

my saturation goes up whenever I have iron overload which for ME is whenever my ferritin is above around 78. its going to be different for everyone but that saturation number is crucial to my hair staying in or falling out. wish I knew why! I searched for a reason and can't find it. the key numbers for me are iron saturation & ferritin.

starting today im taking C with every meal - and I eat SO much red meat (yummy!) its amazing I just can't absorb it without help but I guess im missing that gene.
  11. chestnut20

chestnut20 New Member

Update - ferritin = 34, vitamin D = 61. It is a bit frustrating that I cannot rise the ferritin more than 40-44 ever and after my period it goes down 10 points. I will start the Thorne iron and B as well and stay regular with it. My hair has stopped shedding significantly during washing in the past 2-3 weeks. I experimented with making a mask from nettle tea and bentonite clays with some peppermint oil. Maybe that's one reason.. the whole situation is still very uncontrollable for me.
  12. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

Wow ghad7, you are a godsend for me! Now I need your advice again: can I take Ferrasorb along with my Thorne B complex and my Thorne folate or would that be too much of B12 & B6 & folate? Please advise the best you can! I just got my labs back and my iron saturation is too high and I am hoping to find the best way to balance my ferritin level with my iron saturation. I chart my hair shedding with all my lab results and my hair is just perfect when my iron saturation is in the mid teens (14-16%) and my ferritin is between mid 50's-mid 60's. When these numbers are off my hair sheds. It's really that exact, that specific. This has been a crazy fact finding mission. But I know I am close to the cure b/c my hair responds almost instantly to the "sweetspot" I just mentioned....I just need to find out the formula for maintaining it. I now am positive that Thorne products are key in all of this. And so are you :)
  13. c

c New Member

Hello.. I just stumbled onto your posts and am intrigued. I think I am having hair loss due to low ferritin! I was born with an anemic condition so I've always had it. I've also always had thin hair. I had a baby 3 years ago, and 4 months postpartum, I lost 75% of my hair in the time span of 2 weeks. I fell into a deep depression over my hair, and combining with the stress of being a new first time mom, I almost committed suicide. I got some treatment for my hair and some grew back. But not enough, and I've been shedding some back. My hair is now so thin and see-through, I can't even gather onto a pencil-thin ponytail because my scalp is exposed on the top and sides. I walk around most days in a baseball cap. I am so embarrassed and depressed. But seeing your post made me realize that I have low iron, always had, and that I should think about boosting it. Thus thread is long so I'll have to spend some time reading through it entirely.

But my only question to you is -- from skimming through a few posts on this thread, it sounds like you regularly get blood drawn to check your ferritin levels. Do you do this with your regular primary doctor, or a dermatologist? Or other? Does your doctor know why you're getting the blood tests? I saw one of your answers to another reply that we should self-supplement if doctors can't be bothered about our low ferritin levels, so does this mean your doctor is also unconcerned? I'm just wondering how you're getting regular info about your ferritin levels, and when your iron levels are too high.
  14. SurlyTemple

SurlyTemple New Member

Elizabeth - I sent you a PM, but not sure if you received it.
    I started your cocktail of Ferrous Fumarate, Thorne Vitamin C and Thorne L-lyseine twice a day about 4 days ago.
    I am ordering the Thorne Biotin, but do I need to get the B-complex, too?
    I find it so hard to take some pills with food, some without - and am confused as to which ones should be taken at which times.

I am extremely depressed about my hair loss, which is likely from a recent major surgery.
    I SO appreciate any input you could give me.

You are so kind to help everyone out.

Thank you!!!
  15. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

Thanks for your kind words! I take it all....look thorough the posts glad sent me about the Thorne products and I take them all. The only days I don't take the Follic acid is the days I take the ferrasorb bc it already had it in it. But each day I take my biotin, b complex, c, lysine, Follic and then ferrarorb every other few days to keep my levels where I want them. I was taking ferrasorb daily but just did my biweekly labs and my saturation is too high for me at 26 and my ferritin is too high at 82....and I knew they would be bc my shedding picked up. It's like clock work with my levels, once they are out of my personal range I notice more hair shedding. this is why I am a broken record when it comes to doing your labs biweekly with an online lab and keep a journal of your hair days noting the dates you see really good days and not so good days. Then you will know what your optimum levels are. That's how I found out. Don't fly blind keep track of hair appearance and blood levels and you will have it all figured out! Because I did it this way if I have an amazing hair day with just a normal low amount of shedding I can precict that if I had blood drawn that same day, my saturation would be in the teens and my ferritin would be in the 50-70's. I'm that certain. Please be your own advocate and be your own private doctor and know thyself!
  16. petey3

petey3 Member

I finally got an endocrinologist to run a ferritin test for me. The result is 12. He didn't seem alarmed by this. What does this mean?
  17. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

it means you are SOOOO LOW! research low ferritin and hair loss, it's the reason why I lost so much hair and why I now have it all back!
  18. petey3

petey3 Member

Thank you. I'll definitely do that. Everyone kept telling me my iron was "normal". I pushed my endocrinologist for this test so he just added it to the list of other things. Interestingly, he told me that my cortisol is on the high end of normal as well. Not sure how to treat the iron as it will probably require more tests so I don't overload my system. I did start Thorne B and L- Lysine a few weeks ago and just bought their biotin today. What's the point of the vitamin c in "the cocktail"?
  19. SurlyTemple

SurlyTemple New Member

Elisabeth - I got my test results back, and my Ferritin is 16.
    The doctor said my iron is very low.
    I have been taking your cocktail for 10 days and I wanted to know if I need to take B-vitamins?I have Thorne's Methylguard, which is Vitamin B-1 and B-9 along with folate.
    Is there anything else I should do?
    Thank you SO much!
    Good luck to everyone. :)
  20. petey3

petey3 Member

What ferrous fumarate is everyone taking? My doctor told me to take any over the counter of ferrous fumarate or ferrous gluconate. He did not give me a dosage. Just said start with one pill per day then two and retest in 3-6 months.

My numbers are:

Ferritin- 12 NG/ML
    Iron total - 136
    TIBC- 450
    % saturation- 30

The only thing that is low is the ferritin so I don't want to OD on iron. Thank you.