Holy moly!!!!! Ferritin skyrocketed!!!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by elisabeth, Jan 28, 2014.

1. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

My trichologist thinks it's fine to retest every 3 months. After taking iron for roughly 3 weeks, i shed roughly 20 strands more on shower day. And after 4 weeks, the shedding went back down and even decreased slightly compared to the past 4 months. My trich said HL usually happens roughly 3 months after the trigger so i guess that 20 more could be due to my first blood work and period right after it.

My ferritin is 22 in February. It could be lower before then as I suffered from really bad symptoms of low iron and low vitamin D for 5 months before February.

One of my male friends who is a nurse was like it;s just blood test, it's not like you are donating blood every 3 months. I was like, hello? You are talking to a GIRL who has low ferritin!
  2. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

No i haven't rechecked it yet as I am only 6 weeks on meds and I am terrified to lose any more blood :)
  3. khikhob

khikhob Member

I think 50 - 100 per day is a 'normal' loss so if you are seeing new growth it should start to thicken up, I would imagine. I guess the theory is as long as your new growth keeps pace or exceeds what you lose you should see progress in thickness. At least you are moving in the right direction:) - my shedding has picked up and new growth stopped again, due to a drop in ferritin (I assume that's the reason!) :-(
  4. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

I am taking ferrous fumurate 69 mg elemental iron 3x a day but since I upped my dose to 2x a day I had mild migrane. My doctor doesnt think my ferritin is a problem so only suggested to take 1x a day but I did read from the forum that quite a lot of people take 3x a day. Still, I am considering lowering my dose back to 2x a day as my head still hurts :( Really dont want to overdose it.
  5. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

I have been shedding this amount for the past 5 months and no major growth so my hair is still thinning but not in a visible way. I guess my ferritin and vitamin D is just too low for me to regrow my hair :(
  6. khikhob

khikhob Member

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  7. Jenewn

Jenewn Member

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks on Elisabeth cocktail. I have noticed some new growth. Some strong hairs coming in. How much should I be seeing you think? What Oj do you buy and how much o I drink?
  8. laceygirl

laceygirl Member

Update...

So I'm 7 weeks in now and my ferritin has went up to 66 from 36! And only in the last couple days have I noticed less hair loss. Hopefully I don't jinx myself :confused: I really hope this works :):):)
    Ponygirl likes this.
  9. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

Thanks for sharing laceygirl. May I ask your iron dosage and your diet? xx
  10. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

11. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

Really don't want to blow this for you but I think the new hair you are seeing now is not due to iron as hair only grows half an inch a month. I am seeing more new hair but still think it's getting thinner. Very depressing xx
  12. khikhob

khikhob Member

Have to agree with samantha3333, I'm afraid, two weeks would give you about 1/2 cm new growth - barely visible, and if low iron has been the culprit there is plenty of anecdotal research suggesting that the new hairs start to come in very fine/attenuated/miniaturised. Apparently spraying dry shampoo and then parting the hair is a good way to see new growth. OJ must be pure, not from concentrate, if you want to get maximum Vit C from it, as far as I know. I think it also helps to supplement with L-Lysine. Plus all the other usual suspects, Vit D, biotin etc. Good luck, hope you continue to see new growth x
  13. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

I wish there was some TE survivor who can tell me whether shedding needs to STOP COMPLETELY to see ACTUAL regrowth. Lots of healthy regrowth but shedding is still, I guess 30 strands more than what I think is normal to me.
    Having a really really bad day again today.
  14. khikhob

khikhob Member

Samantha
    I am sorry you are having a bad day. Mine is not much better! I feel my moods are totally at the mercy of how I feel about my hair, and if I am feeling despondent about it it pollutes everything else in my day. I, too, would love to hear from a recovered TE and know what to expect.
    At least you are getting new growth! Mine has completely stopped; I am assuming/hoping it is because my ferritin has dropped. Feel so exhausted having to embark again on the regimen of getting my iron up. It means giving up tea, which for me is almost against my DNA - I'm English!
    I hope you have a better day tomorrow x
  15. twinmom

twinmom Member

samantha...if youre hving hair growth then celebrate the shedding because thays the new hairs popping thru getting rid of the old. the fact you have regrowth is a huge success!!!:)
    Ponygirl likes this.
  16. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

Haha I am in the UK too (I am not English but my bf is). I remember that day when we were having breakfast in Lake district. Everyone at our table made tea but I was like no, I will just have water with brown sugar (I almost fainted after a whole day in the sun and still not recovered the next morning!!!). My bf was like who do you think you are??
    I always crave for coffee and couldn't live a day without it. But I love my hair more, sorry.
    I am sorry that you have trouble absorbing iron. I hope you will sort this out soon xxx
  17. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

I am quite sceptical about this theory. However I havn't seen so much regrowth for at least 2 to 3 months. BUT, my hair looks slightly thinner than before. I will continue to post my progress on here.xx
  18. Jenewn

Jenewn Member

:( ok but I have small tiny growth that's brown coming in in the front so I got excited. Thx
  19. Jenewn

Jenewn Member

I have sprouts of brown hair 1/2 cm coming thru in front. Eeeeeeeeehhh so I'm excited!!! I went back in bathroom and checked and that's what I'm noticing. Right in front. That's why I mentioned the new growth. The other in part is hard to see so I have no idea on that but that's the new growth I was talking about. I'm staying positive though. Thanks!! +++
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  20. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

I think it's good to see regrowth before the regimen takes real effect so I'm staying positive too! Although some times it's really hard to stay away from the negatives xx