Holy moly!!!!! Ferritin skyrocketed!!!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by elisabeth, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Jenewn

Jenewn Member

Yes stay positive!!!! +++. Try not to think about it too much!!
  2. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

I had a blood test for gluten intolerance today. Shedding after shower went up just like when I had my last blood test!!! Palpitation came back and I am a bit low in energy again :( I ordered Spatone online yesterday in case I am not absorbing any iron. I am going to figure out whether I have celiac disease as I have had symptoms for my whole life and never bothered to check it!! Khikhob, did you say you have celiac problem/IBS? Was it the reason why your ferritin dropped? xxx
  3. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

Now I am not sure whether I should do my blood test next week (will be 8 weeks on iron) to see whether I have any improvement.
  4. khikhob

khikhob Member

It's a bit of a Hobson's choice - if you have blood drawn to test for Fe it might deplete ferritin. I still think it is worth keeping an eye on your Fe values whatever the cost to your levels. My test for coeliac sprue came back negative but I am still awaiting a colonoscopy to test for inflammatory bowel disease - I can't understand why I am having such an issue retaining ferritin. I am taking a crazy amount of iron yet still my Fe is dropping. I am 44 years old with a chronic history of IBS plus very heavy periods - almost to the point of haemorrhaging every month. I am starting to resign myself to the fact that this is AGA triggered by CTE. I am not seeing any real new growth at the front, but still very much diffuse thinning all over the head. Don't know what to think. Very, very depressed. I don't have the face for a shaved head! I admire greatly those who have the balls to do it!
    All feedback is greatly appreciated. This forum has become my lifeline xx
    Ponygirl likes this.
  5. coloresperanza

coloresperanza New Member

I'm in your boat - been doing 190 mg of iron a day for two months, iron levels are LOWER than they were a month ago. UGH. I talked to my gyn about stopping my periods altogether (taking repeated active pill cycles with no placebo week) in order to control the blood loss. Maybe it'll help.

Only advice I have is to take the iron with vitamin c and b12 (which helps absorbency, according to my dietician). You might already do that, but thought I'd mention it just in case :)
  6. khikhob

khikhob Member

Hi Coloresperanza,
    Thank you for your reply - yes, I do take Vit C and D and also the iron tablet I take is called Vitron C which contains C. I also drink orange juice with all my supplements every morning.
    I requested an ablation last year - a procedure which cauterises the lining of the uterus to reduce heavy bleeding. I was turned down and offered a blood clotting medication instead, which I declined. I wish I could get my iron up. Until I do, I don't really know if I have CTE or AGA :-(
    What do you take? Liquid or tablet?
    Best wishes xxx
  7. elisabeth

elisabeth Active Member

And take l Lysine because I am the original poster and that's been my cocktail. I started off at 31 and I just got my blood results yesterday and my ferritin was FLAGGED high! I thought that was funny. I'm now 176 so I'm not going to take iron anymore daily. I'll go to every other day and get tested in 4 weeks.

All the best!
    Ponygirl likes this.
  8. khikhob

khikhob Member

Hi Elizabeth,
    I also take L Lysine and I have just started taking copper, today. Was your loss diffuse and do you have new growth everywhere? I am concerned that I am not seeing new growth at the front which makes me think it may be AGA triggered by CTE. My shedding has picked up again since my ferritin dropped back to 31.

176 is amazing - congratulations!! I think I may follow your example and get tested more regularly - I left it about 5 months between tests and it dropped from 56 to 31 so I feel I have to start all over again.
    I'd love to know what your growth pattern is and how soon after your shedding stopped did you notice new growth?
    Many thanks and best wishes, Kate x
  9. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

I got my blood test result back today.
    Good news is my ferritin went up to 107! Bad news is I think I am still shedding.
    I still shed 20 - 50 during the day. My shedding still fluctuates. I shed maybe only 2 at my place in the morning but 20 sth at my boyfriend's. I still shed 60 something during + after shower.

I see more and more regrowth in the front since taking iron but I am not happy at all.
    Now i am lost and don't know what to do next. I am still waiting for my hormone and vitamin D results. xxx
    Ponygirl likes this.
  10. khikhob

khikhob Member

Hi Samantha,
    Very pleased to hear your iron is up to 107 - don't despair; you said you are seeing new growth and it will take time to make a real difference if you have been shedding for a long time. The amount of shedding you describe sounds perfectly normal to me - normal, healthy loss can be between 50 and 100 per day and as long as you are seeing new growth you are moving in very much the right direction.
    As for me, I have NO new growth at the front - now almost totally resigned to the fact I have AGA and not CTE after all, but having said that my ferritin came back at 31 a couple of weeks ago so who knows...
    I have started taking copper as of yesterday - I have read lots of research online saying it is another essential mineral for hair growth. I will keep you posted as to whether it promotes any new growth.
    Best of luck with your hormone and D tests. Try to stay positive, even though it is very tough. xxx
  11. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

Hey Kate,

I really dont think my shedding is normal at all. Clinically normal, yes, but not normal to me. I have new regrowth and they are thick. But my hair is still thinning. I am going to give it 3 months while at the same time finding out what more I can do.
    I felt quite good the first 4 weeks on iron. I quit birth control pills in mid April as I suspected that they gave me migraine. Migraine is still present since off the pills and it's getting worse after my last period. I also slowly lost my sex drive too since off the pills. Now I also have dizzy spells!! The first time I had dizzy spell was roughly a week off the pills. I almost fainted at the restaurant with my boyfriend and still felt dizzy the next day.
    Last night my headaches was so bad I had to lie down and I felt that the ceiling was spinning.
    There must be something wrong with me and I need to visit a gyn and endo very soon. xxxx
  12. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

I really dont understand why a hair count of less than 100 a day (10, 20, 70, 80, 90, or whatever) is normal. I used to not lose anything at all when I conditioned my hair. Now 20 something came out in the shower. :(
  13. khikhob

khikhob Member

Hi Samantha,
    I am really sorry - I by no means meant to trivialise the amount you are losing and yes, you are right, if it's not normal to you then it's not normal.
    I hope you get to see both a gyno and endo soon and find out what is causing your terrible migraines.
    Again, I apologise if I appeared to minimise how you feel about the amount you are losing. I was just tying my hair up in the car and a huge handful came out - very alarming. There has been a really dramatic increase recently and my scalp is now clearly visible and shiny. Very attractive!
    I can only assume that my low ferritin is caused by crazy heavy periods that render me virtually bed-ridden with pain for days on end. My last one lasted nearly two weeks.
    Hope you have a better day tomorrow x
  14. samantha3333

samantha3333 Member

Hi Kate,
    Sorry I didn't mean to make you feel that way. I do feel upset and afraid that if my hormones result comes back normal, I really don't know what to do. When your ferritin reached to 56, how many did you shed a day?
    Did you test for your hormones as you have irregular periods? I missed my period once for a whole month in 2012, developed mild acnes since then. My acnes didn't go away even when my periods back to normal. I never checked for my female hormones until last week.
    I don't know what to expect now. Xxx
  15. khikhob

khikhob Member

Hi Samantha - we are both saying sorry for maybe saying the wrong thing! This whole issue is such a minefield! :-0
    My female hormones, thryroid, total and free testosterone, endocrine results all came back normal. The only thing that is not is my iron. Along with very, very heavy periods (which have caused me to request a hysterectomy - the doc declined), I also have severe IBS so this may well be hindering my ferritin absorption - 'leaky gut' as it were! I take meds for it and am awaiting a second colonoscopy in June. Had one 3 years ago which flagged quite severe inflammation so I may have Chron's or inflammatory bowel disease. I just wish I could get my iron up.
    To answer, my shedding pretty much stopped when my ferritin was 56 which leads me to hope that that is the culprit. However, I am 44 so perhaps this is perimenopausal hair loss associated with aging :-(
    How old are you? Did your periods stabilize after that missed one in 2012? I with you all the best with your hormone results - hopefully they will provide you with some answers if they come back anomalous. It's crazy to think that every test I have done I am almost hoping something is wrong - at least then I will have an explanation. The not knowing is almost as bad as the hair loss :-(
    Good luck, I will keep my fingers crossed for you :) xxx
  16. Jenewn

Jenewn Member

4 weeks today on FF and L-Lysine

Been in the regimen for 4 weeks now and I am not seeing as much hair loss. Gonna count tomorrow an tell untie number. But it's not as bad so I'm happy. I still am thinning though in part so hopefully that fills in soon.
    Ponygirl likes this.
  17. khikhob

khikhob Member

Hi Jenewn,
    That's great news that your shedding has slowed down - hope it continues to do so. Are you seeing new growth, other than the parting where you say you still don't? Today's shower was not as bad in terms of loss, but still more than I would like. My right temple is semi bald when wet :-(
    I am awaiting liquid iron I ordered on amazon and am very keen to get back on what I consider has been the best formula for me - IronSmart. It really helped improve my levels.
    Good luck and I hope you continue to see less shedding. Please describe your new growth?
    xxxx Kate
  18. Jenewn

Jenewn Member

I've noticed about 4 to 5 hairs pooped up thru part. Could be more. They are about 1/2 long so guessing its working. The only problem that I'm still having is a red/pink scalp. Doesn't burn though so idk :(
  19. khikhob

khikhob Member

Hi Jenewn,
    I also get a very pink scalp - particularly after I wash hair. I wonder if it has always been this way but now I can see it!? I have been shedding for over a year and I also have growth of differing lengths, from 1/2 " to 3 or 4" everywhere except the front centre. This scares me - I maybe have 3 or 4 tiny, fine hairs there, like 1/2 cm long. This area was worst hit so maybe will take more time to recover, plus it is the most visible to me. Who knows, maybe the back is just as bad!
    Best wishes to you for continued growth. x
  20. LM_83

LM_83 Member

My scalp is super pink too! I'm now receding at the front. All bloods are fine so I'm now assuming mine is AGA too. X