Hope for women with TE

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by kjm416, Nov 4, 2010.

1. What is Happening

What is Happening New Member

Hi

Id be really interested in this reply too - been to a trichologist today who said I have CTE. (Slightly sceptical at the diagnoisis as there were no blood tests to back up the belief). The zinc taste test however did show that I was zinc deficient.

Can CTE from low ferritin really cause such significant loss and terrible regrowth? My hair is now terribly fine (each individual strand is about a 1/3 of what it used to be) and I clearly have less of these fine hairs. Does ferritin cause loss and thinning of each hair strand? How closely linked is the burning sensation to CTE and does the burning sensation mean that the follicle is dying?

Thanks
  2. Dindin

Dindin Member

Hi what is happening,

How long have you hd shedding for? What started your Te? And how much hair have you lost? How many hairs a day do you lose? Has the shedding ever stopped or has it just shed non stop?? Just trying to figure things out also.,, I don't think iron can cause Te,., it must be something else causing it... Some Have very low iron yet have beautiful hair, so go figure..
  3. What is Happening

Hi Dindin

I first experienced burning and sensations in my scalp about 18 months ago now. After the burning I experienced a lot of shedding and also noticed the condition and texture of my hair all over was changing - fine and wispy - fragile on the ends.

I've not really lost the burning pain and my hair has continued to thin - it just won't regenerate but these periods of shedding go in phases - about on a 3 month cycle.

I lose a lot of the short hairs too - some of the short hairs are wispy and look like animal fur!

Im not convinced by the CTE either.

Good luck with your quest.
  4. Dindin

Dindin Member

Hi what is happening,

When you say it starts every 3 months, does the bedding stop completely and them start again? How much do you lose daily during a shed? And what do you lose when it stops shedding? And you have no trigger?
  5. What is Happening

Hiya

I don't know what the trigger is, I'm in the process of having blood tests - had these when the problem started 18 months ago. Results appeared to be normal, other than iron deficiency.

Yes it stops shedding between the cycles but the burning sensation doesn't change or go away. I am very rarely not aware of my scalp due to the pain.

During shedding it's hard to say how many I lose = my house if filled with them, but they are also getting so fine and small that you kind of don't see them the same way as you used to so counting makes it hard.

Hope that helps
  6. stxrx

stxrx New Member

I think i've had a bout of TE and my shedding was horrid jan-july, but it's slowly tapering down. However, a lot of the hairs I shed these few weeks are small velus hairs, or longer hairs with tapered ends! I had a hair cut shortly after i started dropping my hair, so those long tapered hair are definitely 'regrowth' from before. Is this the hair cycling? I see quite a bit of regrowth around my hairline now, and little (not as significant) bits around everywhere else.
  7. Elly

Elly New Member

Hi, I've had a similar experience. My shedding was horrible for about 4 months. Then the day after the worst shed I've ever had, I ran my fingers over my scalp and felt it covered in soft re-growth. That was a brilliant moment! Since then the shedding has been reducing (though I still get the occasional frightening shed). I lose some of the new hairs, which are much shorter than the rest of my hair. I'm not too worried about it - I've read elsewhere on here that it's pretty normal, and I guess it just takes your body a while to get back in balance. Good luck!
  8. damascus

damascus New Member

HI,

sorry for late reply.

About my hair loss. Sometimes is better - I see and can feel new hair, but then I still lose some hair.

I went lately to hair stylist, got nice hair cut and protein treatment - and this looks really nice so I feel myself much better.

April how is your hair loss ?

Joanna
  9. damascus

damascus New Member

and one more thing.

I have acne on my scalp. My doc told to wash my head everyday with NIZORAL, but that's not helping me at all. It's not ichty, but it hurts when Im touching it.

Anyone had it ?
  10. Emily_CA

Emily_CA New Member

Telogen Effluvium - What a nightmare

26 years old.

Hi Everyone. I know the last post in here was in 2011 so I'm hoping you all are still active in this forum!

In November 2011 I went through a really bad break up. I was heartbroken. I literally had no appetite what-so-ever so for 1 week straight I didn't eat a thing. I didn't even drink water. It was awful; I lost about 8lbs in that short time - just a matter of days. A few weeks after that I thought I could possibly lose my job and that just added to the stress!

3 months later, in February/March 2012 my hair began to shed ridiculous amounts. I thought it would go away, but instead it just got worse. I began searching the internet for any possible diagnosis and ended up finding out a lot about TE. I wasn't 100% convinced that this was what I was experiencing, though, so I went to see my Dr. He came to the conclusion that it was, in fact, Telogen Effluvium. I asked him if simply stress could be the cause (without going into detail) and he said it's possible. "Don't worry, you don't have a disease and you wont go bald." he said. The fact that it is reversible did make me feel better.

I have since worked things out with the boyfriend and things are better than ever, but I've gone through other stressful situations apart from that.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to post this and see if anyone is going through or has gone through a similar situation. So far it has been 3 months of shedding much more than what is considered "normal" amounts of hair daily. My hair is SIGNIFICANTLY thinner on the sides and back of my head. Luckily, my top part is still thin and "normal" looking. But the volume of my hair is just sad. Like most others suffering from TE, I absolutely dread washing my hair. The hair doesn't really come out in the shower, it more-so comes out when I get out of the shower and comb it. That's when the panic always sets in. Also, throughout the day, the feeling of hairs falling onto your arms or just the fact that they come out so easily is so disturbing!

I have been taking 5,000 mcg of Biotin daily as well as Fish oil, B-12, and then every few days I take Iron and Flax see oil, too. I know TE is basically a waiting game, but I'm hoping these might speed up the process of decreased shedding and help promote regrowth!

Does anyone else have TE due to a stressful event and have you noticed any recovery signs??
  11. Emily_CA

Emily_CA New Member

Telogen Effluvium - What a nightmare

26 years old.

Hi Everyone. I know the last post in here was in 2011 so I'm hoping you all are still active in this forum!

In November 2011 I went through a really bad break up. I was heartbroken. I literally had no appetite what-so-ever so for 1 week straight I didn't eat a thing. I didn't even drink water. It was awful; I lost about 8lbs in that short time - just a matter of days. A few weeks after that I thought I could possibly lose my job and that just added to the stress!

3 months later, in February/March 2012 my hair began to shed ridiculous amounts. I thought it would go away, but instead it just got worse. I began searching the internet for any possible diagnosis and ended up finding out a lot about TE. I wasn't 100% convinced that this was what I was experiencing, though, so I went to see my Dr. He came to the conclusion that it was, in fact, Telogen Effluvium. I asked him if simply stress could be the cause (without going into detail) and he said it's possible. "Don't worry, you don't have a disease and you wont go bald." he said. The fact that it is reversible did make me feel better.

I have since worked things out with the boyfriend and things are better than ever, but I've gone through other stressful situations apart from that.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to post this and see if anyone is going through or has gone through a similar situation. So far it has been 3 months of shedding much more than what is considered "normal" amounts of hair daily. My hair is SIGNIFICANTLY thinner on the sides and back of my head. Luckily, my top part is still thin and "normal" looking. But the volume of my hair is just sad. Like most others suffering from TE, I absolutely dread washing my hair. The hair doesn't really come out in the shower, it more-so comes out when I get out of the shower and comb it. That's when the panic always sets in. Also, throughout the day, the feeling of hairs falling onto your arms or just the fact that they come out so easily is so disturbing!

I have been taking 5,000 mcg of Biotin daily as well as Fish oil, B-12, and then every few days I take Iron and Flax see oil, too. I know TE is basically a waiting game, but I'm hoping these might speed up the process of decreased shedding and help promote regrowth!

Does anyone else have TE due to a stressful event and have you noticed any recovery signs??
  12. damascus

damascus New Member

Hi Emily,

thanks for your story. You're not alone :)

Almost two years ago I've moved to another country, got married and was moving around the country with my husband, what was making me depressed, because I had no home. My deariest family member died and I couldn't go to the funeral. I was and still am very happy with my husband but that time was just horrible for me.
    My hair was always thin and fine, I never had long hair. After a few monts (2 or 3) I've noticed that I was lossing more hair than usual. I didn't like that, and I was thinking about, I was also scared to wash, comb even touch my hair because it was that bad.

I went to my doc (male), he didn't want to run any tests on me and said that I was overreacting, what was very hurtful for me. I went to female doc and she has done a big blood work on me. I was deffitient in iron, nothing big but enough to start lossing hair. She told to take maternal supplement along with biotin and not to think about hair (you may think it's nothing big, but believe me, thinking about your hair will just make your hairloss worse).

It's been more than 6 months, I don't take iron supplement anymore, but I'm still taking biotin along with European hairloss supplement (inneov). I can't say that my hairloss has stopped, but it's much better than it was. I would say that I'm losing about 100 strand a day, which is normal.

Biotin is great supplement also for nails. But I have to warn you, you may experience increase in hair growth all over your body (I have to shave my leg every 2-3 day, and before about once in a week) and you have to drink a lot of water.

Joanna
  13. Elly

Elly New Member

Hi Emily,

I really sympathize with you about your hair loss. I developed TE in July last year, and found it so much more upsetting than I would have guessed. Knowing that I probably wouldn't go bald helped, but like you say, it's just really disturbing. It kind of makes you feel like you're falling to pieces.

I now believe mine was caused by a combination of a traumatic event followed by not eating enough for a long period afterwards, so I'm sure the experience you describe could have triggered it. I had blood tests for iron deficiency and thyroid problems, but I was fine on both counts, but looking at photos on myself from last year I can now see that I was unusually thin.

My hair stopped shedding so much after about 3 months, and started growing back quickly. Unfortunately that started shedding again very soon! I went round that loop a couple of times, but now my hair is shedding normally and has been for a few months - long enough that I do feel I'm recovering now. So if you do have that experience of improving then shedding, it's nothing to worry about, it just seems to be something that happens on the way to recovery. Also, because I've been looking after my hair and myself so well, it's in the best condition ever!! You have that to look forward to.

Re things to take - I haven't taken any vitamins or anything to recover, but I've taken a lot of care over my diet and eating well (lots of protein for strong hair, iron, and generally *enough* food). But lots of people do take vitamins to help - anything that promotes health is going to promote healthy hair as far as I can see.

It will get you down sometimes, but if you can try to relax about it as much as possible and not dwell on it too much, and just be kind to yourself, it will get better and most likely go away altogether. Just hang in there.

Good luck!
  14. Leanne274

Leanne274 New Member

I had TE last year...I'm not completely sure from what...it lasted over 6 months and it was really bad and my hair is disgustingly thin now, especially in the back of my head. But it doesn't shed like it used to at all- the shedding finally tapered off. It was literally awful. I completely understand.

I starting taking ferritin pills (which are easier to digest than most iron) prescribed by a derm as well as digestive supplements because my ferritin levels were low. I can't say if that helped the shedding, or it would have stopped anyway, but it's worth a try.

If anyone is around this forum has had TE and experienced regrowth...can you please drop a comment? Because my TE stopped in January and I'm really not seeing much regrowth yet..

Best to all.
  15. Elly

Elly New Member

Hi Leanne,

I've had pretty good re-growth so far. For me, the shedding peaked at a scary level, and then re-growth started soon after that. I'm vegetarian, and I increased the amount of protein in my diet because of the TE (as well as taking care with my iron). Can't say for sure whether than helped, although I have found like Damascus' comment that I have to shave my legs a lot more than I used to!

Also, I think it can be helpful to have a regular hairdresser you really trust. I remember the day before a hair appointment I was feeling very low about my hairloss and taking photos of my horrible wide parting and the nearly-bald spot on top of my head, so I could see just how bad they were. It looked terrible to me.

Next day, when my hairdresser saw me, the first thing she said was "My goodness, your hair is so much thicker than last time I saw you." I knew I could trust her because she spotted my TE in the first place. I realized that actually it had become hard for me to really "see" my hair, rather than just seeing the bits I was worried about. It's also hard to see any progress when you see your hair every day - a day's growth is so little. So a trusted second opinion can be a good support.
  16. Hopelesslola

Hopelesslola New Member

Hi kjm416
    Just wondering if your hair grew back I have been suffering from te for 16 months now I'm shedding 70-80 hairs a day is that normal?? Just wondering how much I should shed a day after going through te well I'm still going through it :( my blood work was all good and my iron is 170 ferritin that is I don't understand doctor said my body will adjust on its own I do see new growth but I am stuck in a truncating stage where the new growth comes out after about 3-4 inches they fall out with a white bulb along with my regular hair pls help am I still going through te with 70-80 hairs a day pls help anyone and pls tell me if your hair did grow back btw its been 16 months now :( that I've been shedding
  17. Hopelesslola

Hopelesslola New Member

Hi Leanne 274
    Now I'm wondering u said your te stopped how much are u shedding Dailey and after a shower how many hairs??? They say it takes almost a full year to grow after the shedding completely stops!! Hang in there at least your shedding stopped I'm very curious to know how much are shedding now pls help I'm disparate
  18. mnewman

mnewman New Member

Hi Meggie,

I saw a post from you in 2011 and am just wondering how you're doing with your hair. Your story sounded similar to mine. My Ferritin was very low for years. I've gotten it up to 70's now. But it's only been 6 weeks or so. Just wondered if you found the answer and your hair is better.

Thanks and God bless you

MNewman