How is it like wearing a wig full time? PLEASE answer

Discussion in 'Wigs and Toppers' started by GBS92, Apr 2, 2013.

1. GBS92

GBS92 New Member

Hi I'm desperate and thinking I might have to get a wig down the road.
    But I have a few questions I would hope someone who wears a wig daily can answer for me:

* Does wigs that look natural exist?
    * Is it comfortable to wear?
    * Can wearing a wig give you blisters etc if your scalp is already sensitive?
    * This one is important: does a good wig stay put? I mean, will it fall off if the wind is blowing, if you tug lightly on it etc?
    * Is it possible to swim, work out, have sex etc with a wig on?
    * How do you maintain a wig? Do you wash it and style it like normal hair?
    * How often do you have to replace a wig?
    * Do people notice and make fun of your wig?
    * Are there any guys who will accept you and love you despite the baldness and having to wear a wig for probably the rest of my life?
    * Is wearing a wig better than semi-permanent hair systems and toppers? Why?

I know this is a lot of questions but I am in DESPERATE need of some answers, in case of the worst-case scenario I'm picturing in my head happens.
  2. Katsa

Katsa New Member

Hey there!

God, I hope I'm doing this right, it's my first post here.
    I wanted to respond, because I started wearing a wig, and it took a long time to get to that place, and, like I knew it would--I wondered why it took me so long. I gave up years of my life feeling like crap!

I have been wearing a wig since November, pretty much full time. I wear it all day, out of the house most days. I have a Follea, which I wear with a WiGrip-just like the founder of this site. I basically copied her when I ran across this blog when shopping for a wig. I have another Milano, which I use for weekends and travel too. They are pretty comfortable to wear, although I do remove it at home. No blisters, although when traveling I do wear it for a long day, I am happy to take it off at bedtime. Sometimes it gets itchy, but sneaking into a private room and removing, then replacing it does the trick most of the time. It was a bit of an adjustment period, maybe a few weeks before I felt pretty comfortable wearing it.

Not so sure about dating, my fella and I have been together for a long, long time so I don't wear my wigs much at home or in bed. Plenty of us have fulfilling relationships and excellent sex lives.
    I can't speak to bonded hair or toppers. Someone else can do that.
    As far as I know, no one notices my wig--my coworkers of course figured it out, but I was pretty open about it. I also told my friends and family as a "FYI--you can tell me I look good, but I'd rather not talk about it ad nauseum." I just told them that I finally got hair I loved. I'm fairly sure people who meet me don't realize I'm wearing a wig. And if so, they only notice because they are predisposed to notice it--kinda like I am, you know? I finally have the hair I always wanted--just makes you realize how few of us actually do.
    Wearing hair has been so freeing for me. I feel so much more confident going out, socially and professionally.

I haven't gone swimming--so far I've worn a bandana or a hat at the pool or to exercise. There is no freaking way I will risk chlorinating my expensive ass hair! I still feel a little weird about going without, and am still sort of considering buying a matching cheap or synthetic wig to wear with a headband to the pool--but I haven't actually done it yet. The wearing a wig, then changing out of it at the pool trips me up--I'm still working on this.

Anyways, for me this was a great solution. It's too much to think about wearing a wig the rest of my life. I'm still taking it a day at a time. But the weight is so much lighter. I don't cry anymore about my hair. I don't feel unattractive anymore and avoid photographs with my family. I have my life back. I am so grateful.
  3. atb

atb New Member

I echo so many things that Katsa said!

I wear a Follea wig with a WiGrip as well. I've only been wearing it full time for a few weeks, and I had almost all of the same concerns you did (and still have some of them)!

* Does wigs that look natural exist?
    My follea wig looks amazingly natural. I don't think anyone would know it was a wig if I didn't tell them. It is human hair, but I have seen some synthetics that look very realistic as well! It may take some trial and error with trying different types and styles of wigs to find one that looks natural to you and makes you feel like yourself.
    * Is it comfortable to wear?
    It is getting more comfortable the more I wear it. I definitely still notice that it is on my head, but it is not bothersome most of the time. I wear mine for 8-10 hours a day on work days and I will say that the first thing I want to do when I get home is take it off and let my head breathe!! My main con in terms of comfort is that it does get hot, but a lot of that is because my wig has a ton of hair on it!
    * Can wearing a wig give you blisters etc if your scalp is already sensitive?
    I have never heard of someone getting blisters, but I do get some redness/ irritation right at the hairline where I wear my WiGrip. I use a Rosemary hair oil at night to help with this and also try to go without my wig at home as much as possible.
    * This one is important: does a good wig stay put? I mean, will it fall off if the wind is blowing, if you tug lightly on it etc?
    This is a great question for today - we have a high wind advisory at the moment and my wig did not budge at all! With the WiGrip I have no concerns. It does not move. I also have a toddler and she has never pulled it off! I think the WiGrip or gel headband is essential to keep things in place. Or some people have clips sewn into their wigs to keep them secure, but if you have a sensitive scalp that may not be a good option for you.
    * Is it possible to swim, work out, have sex etc with a wig on?
    There are some wigs that you can swim in, but most you cannot. You can definitely work out in them, though! Y (founder of the site) posted a video awhile back about working out in her wig. You could totally have sex in your wig if you wanted to. Similar to Katsa, my husband and I have been together awhile and he's seen me through all the stages of my hair loss so I don't wear the wig at home most of the time. I would probably choose not to wear it during sex just because it was so expensive and I wouldn't want to mess it up somehow! Some ladies have backup wigs for these types of activities when they don't want to wear their main wig.
    * How do you maintain a wig? Do you wash it and style it like normal hair?
    That depends on what kind of wig you have. Synthetics you wash with special wig shampoo and they have style memory, meaning you just let them air dry and they go right back into their original style. There are some synthetics that you can heat style, but most you can't. With human hair wigs, you wash and style like your own hair but usually far less often. I wash mine once a week. You can use heat styling but it does damage the hair and it doesn't grow back so I keep it to a minimum in order to extend the life of my wig.
    * How often do you have to replace a wig?
    This also depends on what type of wig you have, how you care for it, and how often you wear it. Synthetics worn daily usually last 6-8 weeks (not very long). A good quality human hair wig can last years. You may have to trim it a few times (even wigs gets split ends if they are real hair).
    * Do people notice and make fun of your wig?
    So far no one has ever said "Are you wearing a wig?" They usually say "Your hair looks amazing!" or "Did you get your hair done?" Even people that know me and see me all the time! I chose a wig that was very similar in style and color to my own hair so that transition was not that noticeable to other people.
    * Are there any guys who will accept you and love you despite the baldness and having to wear a wig for probably the rest of my life?
    I am married so not in the exact same situation as you, and I can understand your fears about finding someone to accept you. But I do believe that any man worthy of being with you will accept you for all that you are, with all your challenges!! I was worried that my husband wouldn't find me attractive anymore, but he thinks my wig looks great.
    * Is wearing a wig better than semi-permanent hair systems and toppers? Why?
    I have not tried a hair system so I can't really speak to that. I did try a topper but unfortunately my hair loss progressed to the point that it doesn't really work well since the topper needs hair to clip into. I also stopped coloring my hair so the topper doesn't match my bio hair. A lot of people on WHLP bond and love it, so it's definitely something worth looking into as well!
    If you have not been on the WHLP network, you should definitely check it out. There are more active discussions over there about some of these issues. My username there is atb.
    Angie
  4. mshistory

mshistory New Member

* Does wigs that look natural exist? Yes, I've worn both synthetic and human hair wigs and people have always been surprised when I tell them it's a wig :)

* Is it comfortable to wear? It does take some getting used to. I can't say it's so comfortable I don't mind being in it all day (I take it off when I get home) but you do get used to it after a while. I've always compared it to wearing a bra ... when you first start wearing a bra, it's bothersome and you're really aware of it, but once you get used to wearing it all day, you feel weird leaving the house without it!

* Can wearing a wig give you blisters etc if your scalp is already sensitive? I've never had scalp problems from wigs. I have lupus and extremely sensitive skin and wigs have never caused a problem for my skin.

* This one is important: does a good wig stay put? I mean, will it fall off if the wind is blowing, if you tug lightly on it etc? There are all sorts of attachment methods that can make wigs more secure. I have worn synthetics with silicone strips at the front and secured them with Hollywood Fashion tape (it's the best double sided tape I've found for securing wigs). With human hair wigs, I use a self adhesive ACE bandage and cut a small strip and wrap it around my head. It functions like a WiGrip and keeps it in place well. It will come off if I pull on it hard enough, but the wind won't knock it off.

* Is it possible to swim, work out, have sex etc with a wig on? I've never done any of those with a wig on :p I don't work out because my lupus makes physical activity like that nearly impossible. I don't wear wigs at home at all.

* How do you maintain a wig? Do you wash it and style it like normal hair? If it's human hair, then you do use human hair products, but if it's a synthetic, you really should use synthetic wig products only. Synthetics shouldn't need to be restyled. HH wigs do.

* How often do you have to replace a wig? It varies. Long synthetic pieces wear out very quickly. Processed HH wigs will last about six months to a year. Virgin HH pieces should last at least several years.

* Do people notice and make fun of your wig? No, that's never happened to me.

* Are there any guys who will accept you and love you despite the baldness and having to wear a wig for probably the rest of my life? I've been with my husband for over 13 years so my hair loss started long after we'd been married. I can't really answer this but my suspicion is absolutely there are men who won't be bothered by your HL. My husband still thinks I'm beautiful without my hair :)

* Is wearing a wig better than semi-permanent hair systems and toppers? Why? Never tried a topper (not enough hair) or hair system.
  5. Bruthlee

Bruthlee New Member

Wearing the wig full time - I have done it while working and commuting 12 - 15 hour days. And I wear wigs full time now while working part time but volunteering and raising my kids. If my scalp became particularly painful, I'd go to a private washroom, take wig off and apply a cold washcloth. These days wearing a wig still bothers me (which is why I often wear scarves). But I now have really painful arthritis in my feet and hips requiring extensive surgery plus facial neuralgia - so the pain I suffer on my scalp - it's just one of life's issues.

I just read your profile and sounds like you have similar ailments. So, I think you know what I mean. Try to find a pretty wig - wear it as best you can. I didn't think I could do it, but, wearing scarves is a delightful change from a wig if you find the wig cap unbearable.

I like my wigs because I feel like "me" in them but wearing beautiful scarves is very comfortable in the summer, btw. Good luck with your solutions!
  6. BTGirl118

BTGirl118 New Member

I wear a bonded topper. Being young(ish) and single, it seemed like the best way to go. I cannot imagine taking my hair off before...you know. Or having to have that discussion. It's awkward enough as it is. It's definitely better than being bald, but I still struggle. I talk about my personal story on a blog I just started, it will eventually cover my decision to go to a bonded topper.

http://thebaldgirlsclub.wordpress.com/
  7. RedlaFlizan01

RedlaFlizan01 New Member

I want to change my hair style not long ago, but my friend told me that have the hair cut and dyed is harmful to my hair and it will take a long time to restore,but I really want to have a new hair style so like you I then get a Synthetic Wigs that designed with the style I want and now I am satisfied now.
  8. RedlaFlizan01

RedlaFlizan01 New Member

I want to change my hair style not long ago, but my friend told me that have the hair cut and dyed is harmful to my hair and it will take a long time to restore,but I really want to have a new hair style so like you I then get a Synthetic Wigs that designed with the style I want and now I am satisfied now.
  9. porshiana

porshiana Member

Relax

[​IMG]First of all, go window shopping. Take a female friend that knows about your condition with you. Promise yourself that you will not buy anything that day. However, do have a couple dollars because most places make u purchase a wig cap to try wigs on. Find some wig stores in the suburban areas. Many of these places have wigs with starting costs of hundreds of dollars. Then go to a wig shop in the poorer neighborhoods. Particularly in the African or African American communities. You will find wigs starting at under $30 and many of similar quality as the suburban shops. At first i paid $500 for each of my monofilament wigs which i could only afford once a year. After even a month it looked horrible and the front edge was not easy to conceal.With this enlightenment I now buy a brand new freetress synthetic lace front. Wig every two weeks for $30 and I'm loving it. I purchase the same wig of course because I don't like making frequent changes. Wearing wigs brought me some much needed self confidence. I have swam in my synthetics. Chlorine does them no harm. However, you want to sew in some extra clip in place combs so they don't come loose. Also practice in the bathtub alone first. And of course u don't use your newest wig you use the one before this one. You can also use the old one to sleep in. I don't know your hair loss pattern but I have level 2 androgynous alopecia so I would remove the combs from my old wig for added comfort and just braid it in with my hair. I have also a f frequently worn turbans to bed. I've only been with my current boyfriend 2 years. A few days into dating I told him I wear "hairpieces" due to "thin hair". This Baby step makes it easier. I mean a wig is technically a hairpiece and you can elaborate if the relationship goes further. In my 2 years of dating I brought this up early in the relationships due to possible kissing, touching, etc. Men seem to take it in stride. In a world with Nicki Minaj as an idol people like Brittany and lady gaga and so many actors getting extensions and pieces, this is no weirder to men than u getting fake nails done. Me myself I have an " out there" personality. So I wear some bolder colors. However I have worn some very realistic looking wigs too. Look on you tube for videos about lace front wigs and how to cut them. Also synthetic versus human hair. I dislike human wigs. They take too much work. Synthetics stay perfectly styled no matter what u do. There are "u part", i wigs. Invisible part wigs lace front monofilament u name it.
  10. Hunter11Rilley

Hunter11Rilley New Member

Wearing the hair wigs is really cool and I have no need to go to the salon and have my hair cut. Thus I can free try different hair style as well and recentlt I just bought the short wigs and it gave me a different feeling than before.
  11. Hunter11Rilley

Hunter11Rilley New Member

Wearing the hair wigs is really cool and I have no need to go to the salon and have my hair cut. Thus I can free try different hair style as well and recentlt I just bought the short wigs and it gave me a different feeling than before.
  12. BulahLerry

BulahLerry New Member

Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a long curly hair and it is perfect.
  13. KyungBlyler

KyungBlyler New Member

Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a short curly wigs and it is perfect.
  14. KyungBlyler

KyungBlyler New Member

Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a short curly wigs and it is perfect.
  15. cici hair boutique

cici hair boutique New Member

At Cici Hair Extensions We Believe Every Woman Should Have the opportunity to shop like the stylist that does her hair, and the movie star that recieves the full luxury custom treatment. We provide a unique salon style ordering experience, to help you get the perfect color, length, density, texture, type, and style, at prices that have only been available to professionals before now.
    www.cicihairextensions.com
  16. sherlocker

sherlocker New Member

[​IMG]
    natural hair wigs or extensions can turn your hairstyle to the beautiful looks as you can, but it suggests not to wear all the day. if you are looking the lace front wigs , outerinner can supply you the 100% human hair and 50% off discount, so snap up fast now. 100 human hair extensions