How long does it take to raise iron feritin level??

Discussion in 'Iron' started by NYCGirlie, Jan 18, 2011.

1. meggie

meggie New Member

Hi Anu,

It took a good 6 months before I started noticing new hair growth after
    taking the iron, hair, skin & nail vitamins, watching my protein, and using
    the de-stress tapes. I would take Fergon once a day and two Andrew
    Lessman HS&N vitamins daily. I would also buy fresh organic baby spinach at Sam's Club, put it in a large freezer bag, and freeze it. When I was
    making eggs, soup, etc., I would crunch some up and throw a handful in.
    I think that also helped with the iron and hair growth. I still do that. I went through the hair loss for approx. a year, going from doctor to doctor with no success. I did a lot of research on the net about hair loss and then decided to get my ferritin level checked. I have always had low iron, which would be a detriment when giving blood. I used to lose handfuls of hair, which really depressed me and freaked me out. My scalp was so
    sensitive to shampoos, sprays, etc. After awhile, without even thinking
    much about it, the burning, tingling feelings started to go away. Then I
    noticed the new hair growth. I hardly lose any hair anymore, and I will
    always take the vitamins and watch my protein. I don't even take iron
    much anymore, only take one HS&N vitamin daily, but I still eat the spinach. Also, the tapes were recommended to me by a psychologist friend of mine, who uses them with her patients. They are pricey but worth every penny. You have to use them daily though to re-train your mind not to be stressed. The ones she recommended were from MindByte.com and I bought the 6 Phase CD. It has helped immensely. Now I don't worry about hair loss and love washing and fixing my hair, something I used to take for granted. It's a long, healing process, but someday you will realize that you don't even think much about the hair loss anymore. I will always remember what I went through, but I'm thankful that it doesn't control my life anymore. Hang in there and just take good care of yourself. Eat healthy, exercise, and try to RELAX. Keep me informed how you are doing. God Bless and Good Luck!

Meggie
  2. anu

anu New Member

Thanks Meggie for patiently replying to all my queries!!! this really helps me. My ferritin was at a meagre 5.10 a month ago , i was petrified since then have started treatment of taking fefol (50mg elemental iron) once daily...can u please tell me you how much was your ferritin level when you started treatment and how long did it take to get to 75? were you taking fergon just once a day or more times?

Thanks for all the help! God bless you! i am trying my best to stay calm and not stress out, praying for strength from God!
  3. meggie

meggie New Member

Hi Anu,
    I'm pretty sure my ferritin level was 17 and it took probably 4 -5 months to get it up
    to 75+. I only took Fergon once a day. Like I previously said, though, make sure you
    get your 65 grams of protein a day, and take hair, skin & nail vitamins if your doctor OK's it.
    I really believe that feeding your hair with all the good things makes it grow back healthier
    and faster. I don't have a hair loss problem anymore, but still take the Fergon a few
    times a week, eat protein, and make sure I never forget to take my vitamins. It takes
    awhile for the iron level to rise, so just be patient and keep the faith. I'm praying for
    you! Take care and let me know how you are doing. God Bless.
  4. anu

anu New Member

Thanks Meggie...really need all the support and prayers!!! also my dermatologist suggessted using a variant of Minoxidil...i am not too sure and dont want to use it as one needs to use it for life and has some side effects - did u happen to any of these??
  5. anu

anu New Member

I m hoping eating right, exercising and taking vitamins will have a positive effect. :)
  6. meggie

meggie New Member

Hi anu,
    Yes, I was told to use Minoxidil, but after reading about it and finding out that you had to use it forever, decided against it. Also, my scalp was so tender from the
    hair loss, that I couldn't even stand shampoo on it. I just decided to take my chances, get healthy, and lo and behold it worked!! It took approx. a year or more
    to get back to normal, so hang in there and don't get discouraged. It's such a shame
    that so many women have this hair loss problem. I never knew about the different
    causes of hair loss until I started losing my own. I found out that the hair is the
    first thing to suffer due to stress, medications, etc. You will do fine, though. I'm counting on it! Take care and God Bless, anu.
  7. anu

anu New Member

Thanks Meggie, your kind words offer a lot of motivation. I am a little worried as I am a vegetarian and eat only eggs ...i am trying to eat as many iron rich veg foods...not sure how much it'll help without eating meat. I will be checking my blood levels and ferritin in another 10 days will be about a month and a half since I started on iron supplements...hoping it shows positive improvements and shedding decreases. I am also thinking of checking on iron infusions from my doctor, see what he suggests.
  8. Hopelesslola

Hopelesslola New Member

Hi NYC did ur hair grow back any good news?
  9. anu

anu New Member

Meggie, NYC Girlie,
    Justwante dto check with you - did any of you get your hormone panel testing done to figure out if the hair loss was hormone related at all (not just thyroid but also testosterone, DHEA, FSH, LH etc among others)? not sure if just this needs to be checked , i definitely have low ferritin working on this not sure if I should check on these as well??

Thanks
    Anu
  10. Cassy

Cassy Member

My ferritin level came back at 12 and my daughters at 10. The Dr. said to get an over the counter iron supplement. Does anyone know which one is best?:confused:
  11. anu

anu New Member

Hi Meggie,
    I had my second appointment with my doctor, he started me on calcium, vit D, hair vitamin along with the iron supplement. I wanted to check with you if you were taking L-Lysine as well, i checked with the doc - he said not required, however I feel it may help in better absorption. If you have taken L-Lysine - which brand, and is it safe to take it without prescription from the doctor??

Also, did u take any hormone panel testing to rule those out as a cause for hair loss??

Would love to hear from you. thanks, anu!
  12. NYCGirlie

NYCGirlie New Member

How to raise ferritin when CBC tests are normal??

Hi ladies. I am still experiencing sheds. A little better than before but still not "normal". My CBC iron levels are within the normal range. Question: My ferritin is 40. It says normal range is 2-250 so primary doc says its normal but a hair loss doctor I went to years ago said ferritin should be over 70-100 to help hair loss. Is that true? How can I get my ferritin up without the other iron going overboard?? Help!
  13. lilyrose

lilyrose New Member

NYC Girlie - Im not sure what you mean about the other torn going overboard, if it was me i would just keep taking the iron tabs to raise my ferritin.

Hi, this is my story so far, I realised i was losing a lot of hair in nov 2011 i had a blood test and my ferritin was at 12 but for some reason i didn't believe my doctor and didn't take my iron tablets. I had another blood test in May 2012 and my ferritin was at 12 again. This time i took my iron tablets religiously along with l-lysine, vitamin c, biotin, and vitamin d. i took another blood test taken in August 2012 and my ferritin is at 41. I am continuing to take my tablets religiously and hope that my ferritin goes up more. My hair has stopped shedding like it was before but I am left with a very baldy look at the front and the top of my head. This has been the same since the beginning of this year so I'm used to it but I'm afraid it might get worse. and i THINK i can see small hairs growing in However I don't really know what I'm looking for, what does regrowth actually look like? How long does it take for regrowth to begin after ferritin is raised? I want my hair back!!!
  14. NYCGirlie

NYCGirlie New Member

I'm still on iron and need to get a ferritin test to see where my levels are. My ferritin tends to drop once I stop taking iron pills. The hairloss has slowed down but is not back to normal. I don't know how long it takes to completely stop, but I have read and noticed that once ferritin is 70-100 for 2-3 months, you should notice less shedding. You should see some straggly regrowth hairs within another 3 months after that. Look around your front hairline for any short new hairs. Good luck and try toppik to cover the small baldspot until it grows back
  15. Cassy

Cassy Member

lilly
    what kind of iron are you on? I have taken iron for 7 months now and my ferritin only went from 12 to 17!!
  16. NYCGirlie

NYCGirlie New Member

I used Feosol iron tablets. Mine only went up llike 8-10 in the first month, so I upped my dose to 2 pills a day and it worked. But it will cause bad stomach pains. Keep with it.
  17. lilyrose

lilyrose New Member

I take Fersamal which is 210mg ferrous fumarate (65mg of elemental iron) twice - sometimes three times daily. The doctor told me twice daily at first and then said once should be enough but I don't want to take any chances.
  18. NYCGirlie

NYCGirlie New Member

On 2 a day, your iron should go up within a few months. If it takes longer than 4+ months, I;d ask for an iron absorption test. Maybe your body is not properly absorbing it. I have also been told that a gluten free diet while on iron pills can help (but I didnt need to do that)
  19. lilyrose

lilyrose New Member

Hi ladies, thanks to everyone that written I'm so grateful to be able to read others stories and feel like I'm not join through this alone. so nothing is new, the last blood test i had was ferritin 41 I've kept taking my iron tabs so hopefully it is going up but I'm just so desperate to see some new regrowth! This is such a horrible thing to have to go through and i find it too hard to talk about with anyone because I'm too embarrassed. And what if I'm wishing my life away until my ferritin goes up and then my hair still doesn't grow back?? Is there anyone out there that has had success with ferritin being raised and hair growing back? I'm just worried now that maybe its not TE but AGA? I know its all about patience and not stressing but I'm just finding this so hard......
  20. gailmj

gailmj New Member

As I first made the connection between my low ferritin and hair loss from stumbling across this site I decided to register and share some info on how I boosted my ferritin quickly in case it might help anyone else.

I am 47 and have heavy bleeding which caused my ferritin levels to plummet and I started experiencing hair loss approximately 1 year ago.

I take 1 'Easy Iron' chelated iron supplement twice per day along with 500 mg Sisu L-Lysine, with orange juice. I stopped drinking any tea/coffee or soy products within 2 hours of the supplements as apparently they can inhibit absorption. I eat a vegan diet, which I haven't changed, but it does include loads of spinach, lentils and beans.

My ferritin level was 13 in May. After researching I started this supplementing regimen on my own in July, and by August my level had increased to 43. I will have it tested again in a couple of months, but that is the highest it has been in over 5 years.

My doctor has also recently precribed cyklokapron for the heavy bleeding, which I haven't started yet but it is supposed to reduce it by up to 50%.

Hope this helps.