How long will it last?

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Green Eyes, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Green Eyes

Green Eyes New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum and think it's amazing that something like this exists for women dealing with the devastation of hair loss. I have always had fine hair but alot of it. I was on birth control (ortho tri cyclen) for about 12 years and recently stopped taking it. Within a month, I noticed a little bit more hair in the drain when wasing my hair every morning. The amount of hair in the drain has definitely been increasing. It has now been 3 months and my scalp feels tender - like my hair is being pulled or my scalp is being stuck with little needles. I also had an odd breakout of acne on my stomach, which is unusual for me. I do think all of this is related to going off the pill. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how long did it last? I now find hairs EVERYWHERE! Can I expect this to slow down after a total of 4 months (which would be one more month?) or has it taken longer for others dealring with TE? Thanks so much in advance for any advice!!
  2. pilar

pilar Member

Hi Green Eyes,

I'm also suffering from TE from going off the pill. I only took the pill (YAZ) for 2 months and about 2 months after taking it I noticed I was shedding HUGE amounts of hair. For me it also seemed to increase and barely in the last month has it started to decrease. Right now I'm into my 7th month of shedding and 9th month off the pill. In the beginning I think I was losing over 350 just after a shower and styling. Now I'm down to 30-90 a day. I also have a tender scalp and sometimes feel a little itching and tingling. I've read this is very common after losing lots of hair.

About 3 months ago (6th month off the pill) I started breaking out on my chest and back - this had never happened to me before. In the last month or so it has cleared up. I think going off the pill causes our hormones to go a little wacky and it just takes time for them to stabalize.

The shedding is going to last as long it's going to last....I would recommend trying to eat a healthier diet, get enough sleep and exercise. This will all help balance out your hormones.

Hang in there...this will pass.

Take care,

Pilar
  3. pilar

pilar Member

Green Eyes,

Just wanted to check in and see how you were doing.

It's been about 2 weeks since my last post and I'm still losing anywhere between 30-90 hairs a day. The itching/tingling/burning feeling on my scalp seems to be there one day and then gone the next. I've also noticed that I feel it more when I'm at work, which makes me think it gets worse during stressful times.

Hope you're feeling better.

Pilar