how to find a right doctor

Discussion in 'Iron' started by meljh, Jan 13, 2013.

  1. meljh

    meljh New Member

    I was diagnosed with alopecia areata by a dermatologist before doing a blood test. However, blood tests showed that I'm low on iron (i'm not sure which type of iron, but not TIBC) despite normal hemoglobin and other red blood cells result.

    Should I try out other dermatologist or should I be looking for other specialist to find the root cause of my hair loss? Other than the dermatologist who jumped straight into giving me a strong doze of steroids, I've seen 2 other GPs who agreed with the dermatologist approach(steroids).
  2. Hellen

    Hellen New Member

    Steroids for AA is fairly common. The good news is that with AA you can totally recover from HL! Id you have 'spotty' HL - like quarter size spots, then it probably is AA.

    Wouldn't hurt to get your iron up to boost your 'recovery' though. Good luck!