I just found out

Discussion in 'Iron' started by Butterflywings, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Butterflywings

Butterflywings New Member

I just found out that my iron storage is low. This is BIG news to me. I am happy to finally have a diagnosis. I do, however believe that I will not be able to take in iron foods unless I find the right things to eat. Does anyone have a great menu for iron intake? how about the absorption of iron? I cant believe I have a solution!! I do realize this has been a big issue for me for a while but I dont think taking just a suppliment will help. Anyone with some advise?
  2. linzineedshelp

linzineedshelp New Member

hi

i have been taking iron tablets for almost 3 months and have got my ferritin from 8 to 73 in that time.i take vitamin c and lysine to help with the absorbtion and it has raised fairly well, i dont eat red meat so have had lots of cereal, beans, wholemeal bread ect.
    unfortunately my shedding has not improved so i am extremely dissapointed but i wish you the best of luck.i have just been diagnosed with Telogen Effluvium.
    how low is your ferritin exactly?

linzi xxx
  3. Butterflywings

Butterflywings New Member

The doctor didn't give me my spec's yet but when I go next week I will be able to check. My main problem is hes telling me to eat more iron rich foods but I've been taking my supplement for months now and he just told me that it was low. There is something wrong with that picture. Well I might have JUST started taking my iron with Vitamin C tablets or the chewy. Might as well take it with OJ to top it off just to be sure lol. At least I know what the cause is. I just need to see if I can make some hair growth. Going to a Derm on the 30th. We will see what they have to say.
  4. linzineedshelp

linzineedshelp New Member

hi butterflywings

i have been taking mine a few months now and i take it with a vitamin c tablet and also lysine.both are supposed to help absorbtion.Also, dont drink any tea or coffee for at least an hour before or after taking your iron, this makes absorbing much more difficult, tea and coffee are tannins.Same goes for milk or calcium, it stops absorbtion.I hope this helps you a little.I wish you every success xxx
  5. Hopelesslola

Hopelesslola New Member

Hi I'm having the same problem please write back if the shedding slowed down. It's been 6mths for u nOw is your hair shedding less
  6. Hopelesslola

Hopelesslola New Member

Sorry my message is for linzinerdshelp