If you are thinking of a bonded topper...

Discussion in 'Wigs and Toppers' started by missmyhair42, Jan 11, 2013.

1. missmyhair42

missmyhair42 New Member

Hi Angela,
    How's the topper working out? Does it feel a little more comfortable now? Did you get the curl issue fixed. It looks good in the picture.

Hi Alilou,
    If you have lost that much hair in such short a time frame, I agree with Angela, you should check with your doctor to see what the problem might be. It could be temporary.

As for toppers, I get two a year for about $1500 each. Two are ordered at the same time. I wear one for 6 months then replace it with the second one. When I start wearing the second one, we order my next two. They seem to last for about 6 months and then start looking thinner and the hair stops looking great and it's time for a new one. I also go in for maintenance and to have my bio hair trimmed every 3-4 weeks for about $85 each time. I find that the bond holds really well for exactly 2 weeks. Then by the third week, it starts to loosen and I hate when can feel it moving against my head. I usually have to re-bond the front only myself at home (and this is messy!) and by then I am counting the days until I can go back to the salon. I did not shave my head which is probably why my bonds do not last as long. Maybe one day soon I will get the courage to do it, but so far I have not.

Good luck!
  2. angela75

angela75 New Member

Hi, MissMyHair!

I actually switched places and am now in a full lace topper that is SOOOOO much better! It is a stock piece, that they permed in-house and I LOVE the curl. I'm worried since it is a stock piece it won't last the full 3 months that it will take to get a real one in... but I'm willing to risk it :) This place is more expensive than the other place, but I will absolutely pay more because I really, really like it.

I haven't posted pics of the new one yet, but I will soon :)
  3. alilou

alilou New Member

my doctor said it was alopecia areata but i was thinking maybe i should get more bloodwork done and see if maybe my hormones are not balanced and maybe look at my vitamin levels. she said my thyroid levels and everything else in a complete metabolic panel looked ok. i guess i will see how it progresses. maybe it is just TE and my hair will come back. i'm not quite sure.
  4. angela75

angela75 New Member

If it is classic AA you would be seeing round patches of no hair on your scalp. Is that the pattern? Or is it diffuse? There is diffuse AA, but it is much less common than the classic AA pattern.

Have you been to a dermatologist? They might be able to help sort it out a bit better.
  5. alilou

alilou New Member

it's mostly patches of no hair so i think that is why the doctors suspect AA. i haven't been to a dermatologist yet since i have no health insurance. my doctor was going to consult with the other physicians at the clinic i go to and then call me back with what they think i should do as far as treatment. she mentioned that maybe if i went to the local county health clinic they may be able to refer me to places where i can see a dermatologist at a lower cost.
  6. Lisa5

Lisa5 New Member

I went to Transitions Hair and thought about purchasing a topper. I am worried about the clips though and it causing Traction Alopecia.

However, with my topper I'm thinking of just wearing it on special occasions and events and not every day.

Do Toppers last long or do they have to be replaced?
  7. missmyhair42

missmyhair42 New Member

Hi Lisa, my topper is bonded over my hair so I don't have to worry about clips or traction alopecia. I get two toppers a year, so each one lasts about six months. My hairloss is unfortunately too severe to only wear my topper on special occasions. Besides, I am so much more confident and happy with the way look when I'm wearing it. I honestly think most people have no idea that I wear hair.
  8. suzieQ2

suzieQ2 New Member

Yikes Ladies, you are paying waaaaay too much for your human hair systems. Unless they are virgin European hair you should not be paying that much. Go to HD website www.hairdirect.com
    I pay $150 per month and my hair is 16 inches long and silky soft. I am on the 4 per year plan but actually thinking of going down to 3 per year because mine last longer than 3 months when I rotate wearing them. I also closely follow instructions on caring for mine and try to keep heat styling and shampooing to a minimum.
    I hate to see anyone getting ripped off because I spent too much in the past and regretted it. Good luck.
  9. porshiana

porshiana Member

Missmyhair can you tell me what kind of glue they use? Is it octyl-cyanoacrylate (the chemical name for medical grade derma bond) I am really curious. Is the glue rubbery and flexible?
  10. porshiana

porshiana Member

Missmyhair what do u use to touch up bond at home?
    SusieQ I think a major cost factor in professionally bonded toppers is the glue. Dermabond is expensive. I see vials 1/4 the size of a krazy glue tubes(krazy 2ml derma 0.5ml) going for like $40-$50. Plus, to use them on anyone but yourself requires a medical licence. Which is also costly.
  11. suzieQ2

suzieQ2 New Member

Porshiana,
    I had my bonding done by a professional salon for 10 years before deciding to do it myself. The only glue they used was Vapon No Tape. For some people it holds for up to 4 weeks, for me it held for about a week before the front starting lifting.
    http://www.hairdirect.com/store/liquid-adhesives.aspx#q=NjE4_NjU3|0__NjE4_NjU2|0&o=0&p=1&i=20

There is the link, if I did it right. You have to let this glue set a bit before you apply it to your scalp. The consistency is like Walker Ultra Hold and can be messy to use so this is how I use to do it.
    Take a small amount in a tiny disposable cup and let it set and thicken for about 20-30 minutes. Then take a small paint brush and apply it to your scalp. I used to apply only in a 1/2 inch track around the perimeter of my head, not the whole top of scalp. Then let it dry on your head until just tacky to touch, then apply the topper.
    Don't know how this would compare to DermaBond.

I have a couple of questions for you.....I got my new wig on Tuesday and have been wearing it for 3 days now. I absolutely love the hair, it's very pretty and natural looking. You really can't tell that it's synthetic at all, but the nape if tangling a lot already. I am pretty aggravated because I read that this can happen with longer synthetic hair but did not expect it to happen this quickly. I sprayed a bunch of conditioner in it and also used some hair serum to smooth it out which helped a little. Any suggestions???
    Also, the cap feels too big for me and I find myself adjusting it a lot. I tried a wig cap and that felt better but later in the day the wig cap start sliding up on my head too. Maybe I am just not used to wearing a wig so it feels funny. Is this normal?? What do you use to keep it from sliding back? I don't want to bond it if possible because I like taking it off at night.

Which raises another question....have you ever worn a wig to bed? I am having some friends visit and stay at my house the week of Christmas and a little paranoid about sleeping in just my semi-bald head LOL. I close my bedroom door, but what if they come in by accident. I tried wearing a bandana but of course that came off in about 5 minutes while sleeping.

thanks for your advice, and I think I am going to find out that you are right about buying the less expensive wigs. I already saw one on another site that is only $49 and I can't wait to try it. The Jon Renau is very nice, but I wouldn't call it perfect. I am hoping I can find a brand that makes a smaller cap because this one feels big for me. I never thought I had a small head, but apparently I do.
  12. Kip

Kip New Member

It looks beautiful
  13. porshiana

porshiana Member

Thank you for the bonding advice. As for the wig.. first off does it itch at all? This can be an issue, especially for sleeping. Most synthetic hair and some human hair are treated with a high alkaline ammonia base to prevent mold or bacteria growth.. This can cause an allergic reaction in some people. Some times it takes a few days before the itching begins. If it doesn't bother you i would leave it. But it bothers me so The first thing i do with any wig is soak it in 1:2 apple cider vinegar: water for an hour then liquid fabric softener then wash. Tangles at the nape are the worse. Use fabric softener or baby/mineral oil generously and then gently work the tangles out. Afterward wash as usual. I have found any soap or shampoo will do. None have impressed me. You must wash these out because they are sticky So if left in they attract dirt to your wig. If you want sheen use alcohol and oil free. I like the boni brand and people love the smell. Is yor wig heat resistant? If so you are in luck. You can use a curling iron to straighten on the frizzy ends once you have detangled. Quite frankly all synthetic wigs no matter how expensive have this nape tangling problem is why i went to the $35 wigs. So that i can replace them more often. I buy a replacement like every 3 week's. But it's worth it because they always look good.
    As for sleeping in them, i do and have. But it does help it tangle. Use a turban over your. wig to prevent this some. I wear my turban with and without the wig just because I'm not comfortable with my head uncovered around my boyfriend.
    As for the wig cap.. i can't wear them either. They are really only used with bonding or secured with bobby pins. As for your wig cap size, this is why i suggest the trip to the beauty supply store. All wig caps are made differently. Not just size but shape as well. This is so vitally important to my everyday comfort that just don't see how i could choose a wig without first trying out the fit. I'm stuck on my Valerie currently mainly because the cap is so snug. It fits well enough i cut the adjustable straps out. As for it sliding, the combs normally stop that. If they don't then perhaps they aren't situated properly for you. You can purchase extra combs on line and sew them in yourself with simple tack stitches. However this is also something i pay close attention to when trying them on. Who wants to tack in combs every few weeks? The wig cap and comb construction is as important or maybe more important than how the wig looks.

Since you already have the piece and probably can't return it, perhaps a little needle and thread to tack the outer perimeter would help. I've never done that but that is what i would try. My overall advice its go to a shop and find what's comfortable and secure for you.
  14. suzieQ2

suzieQ2 New Member

Thanks again for your advice Porshiana, it's great to be able to talk to other people who have already gone through the processes. The wig is not heat resistant (my first beginners mistake!!) and it does not have combs in it, but I don't really have enough hair to stick the combs into anyways so I would probably rather not have combs. I have not been able to find a wig store anywhere nearby so I am getting as educated as possible by reading wig reviews and watching them on youtube when I am checking out a wig that I want. I have one coming soon and found 2 Vivica Fox for under $40 that I am going to try next.
    I will try soaking the current wig in fabric softner and applying some oil and see how that goes, but if all else fails at least I will have this one to sleep in if I decide to do that. No....it does not itch at all, this cap is very comfortable.
    Thanks again, and have a great day.
  15. porshiana

porshiana Member

No problem you've been just as much help to me. I doubt know if you've seen many hair loss but i don't have a lot either and the combs work really well for me yet are gentle and don't pull. The cap Valerie has which runs tighter is the equal lace front natural hairline. If you purchase any of their lace front natural hairline wigs in any style or color it should have the same tighter fitting cap.

I've considered getting my hair bonded once. Mainly because its supposed to last So long. But I'm afraid of not being able to take it off if i want or it getting tangled in bed or having to style it and I'm afraid anyone around here would charge a fortune. Idk. Still considering it. But if all they do Is use the glue as described in so many videos i could do it myself or pay my daughter $20. Then again my bio hair is too thin for just a topper. Do they bond entire wigs? I'm. Honestly not unhappy with having the front bonded and the back combs. I like being able to unattache the back for washing drying and simply for pressure alleviation. My problem is finding the right glue. I've tried several and my problem with many glues and the tapes is that i work in a warehouse and am a dust magnet. The one type of glue that's tacky, the tapes and even gel and got2 b glued don't dry completely solid and are sticky enough that i wind up with dirt at my hairline much like a kid gets under a band-aid weren't playing in the dirt.. the nail polish and cyanoacrylate are solid when dry. I'm just the trying to find the solution that's right for me.
  16. suzieQ2

suzieQ2 New Member

17. porshiana

porshiana Member

Actually suzie that was excellent. See, I've used the tape when i had hair in the front. In which case ALL it sticks to is. The hair and it pulls it out from the roots.I now have the very front shaved. I also have ultrahold. That's what i was referring to as the tacky stuff. I used it without tape. That's why it got dusty especially near the edges and it always somehow gets in the hair. Too. But with this application the glue is completely covered by the tape and helps the tape stick which cures both problems. Is this what you do? And hours long stories it hold? I'm still in a deadlock. I've got done octyl glue coming. Ill glue some. Lace to my arm n see how that goes.
  18. porshiana

porshiana Member

Well. I tried it. Ultra holds its so sticky I'm afraid i created a mess and may have gotten some outside. And may wind up with the dirty adhesive. I hope nor, but I'll know by morning. Wish me luck
  19. suzieQ2

suzieQ2 New Member

Porshiana,
    I know that I have read lots of threads on HD (Hairdirect) that address the dirty hairline problem so I will try to find the link to the exact answer and post it on here. I am pretty sure they use " Adjust a Bond" with a paper towel to clean it up when it gets dirty.....but not certain so I will look later when I have more time.
  20. porshiana

porshiana Member

Yup. Did it again. The ingredients in adjust a bond is 97% alcohol, tint, mint fragrance. That's it. Im using alcohol and acetone to clean it up but it comes back. Then I'm actually removing the tape and glue so what happens is the front edge starts lifting. I did some experiments on many arm with excess lace. The best looking solution ive found is to use facial powder on the front edge. I tried white powder, then skin tone, and finally translucent. That's what m gonna use. I'll. Post pics later. For now here is some of my dusty hairline. Forgive the evil look it was past my bedtime and i was cranky.

Attached Files: