I'm 18 and losing my hair.

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by kellyjean, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kellyjean

kellyjean New Member

It started in February/March. I had noticed that some hair was covering my fingers while shampooing. I thought to myself, 'hmmm. That's strange. I wonder how much is coming out.' So.... I stopped up the drain to see a solid amount of hair floating around in the water. After reading many of your stories, I'm sure you know what happened next....

My hair has thinned out so much. I've had various bloodwork tests done, but to no avail it seems. I requested a full thyroid panel and was told that my T3 level was 'a little low' and that seeing an endocronologist was 'worth a try.' Is 'a little low' enough to justify this amount of hair loss?? My iron-binding capacity was 'a little low' as well, so I was told to take a multi-vitamin. As if that would solve it. I've been taking multivitamins for years on account of my diet (I'm vegetarian). The doctors LOVE to jump on that one, but again, I eat well and supplement everything I'm missing in meat. I've been vegetarian since 2006; I'm sure this hair loss would have started long ago if that were the cause. All the same, I've been eating meat again, just in case. Which is really hard for me....

I'm also on birth control (Trinessa). But I've been on this for a few years now, wouldn't my hair loss have started earlier if bc was causing this? I don't know if I should get off of it for fear of the "dread shed" and I'm scared to use Rogaine for the same reason. I'm scared of all of the meds that they might give me in case of a thyroid problem because I've heard the various medications given can cause MORE hair loss.

I see the Endo on August 10 and I'm also getting a scalp biopsy (which terrifies me because I have a phobia of needles).

It sounds like many of you have gone through the same thing I am and the end result sounds the same. Does this mean there's no hope for me? Am I going to loose it all? My hair has always distinguished me from others; it's cut in crazy layers and I used to tease it, make it big, wild, elegantly disheveled with no problem, no hair loss. I don't understand why this is happening to me. I've never been more depressed or anxious in my life. It occupies 100% of my thoughts and I've cried everyday for the past two weeks because it seems like more is coming out.

Also, some of it is growing in white....

I don't know what to do. I'm trying so hard to hang in there, but I feel hopeless. Powerless. Out of control. Looking in the mirror has become my own personal horror.

:[
  2. VeronicaS

VeronicaS New Member

Hi,

Hi kellyjean,

I can definitely relate. I've just turned 18 too, and I first noticed how thin my hair got last December. Unlike you though, I know the cause of my hair loss - birth control pills, which I started taking last April. I think I can definitely say I had telogen efflevium, because I had diffuse hair thinning all over my scalp and my hair started falling out about 3 months after I went on them.

What is your hair loss like? Is it mostly at the top of your head, or is it all throughout your scalp? Just an overall thinning?

I know what you mean when you say how you feel - I remember the moment I first discovered my hair was becoming too thin, when I could almost see my scalp through my hair at the front.

The good news is, the chance of you losing all your hair is slim. It's also not too late to try and stop the hair loss. I've had so much luck with natural treatments, eg. taking 5000mcg of biotin daily, taking saw palmetto, and using olive oil and egg hair masks daily.

Do you have any hair loss in your family, particularly among females? And again, what sort of thinning do you have?
  3. kellyjean

kellyjean New Member

It's an all over thinning, but I can notice it most on the crown and in my bangs.

My mother has hair loss, but she went through menopause early. My grandmother also experienced it, but while undergoing a stressful living environment.

I asked about saw palmetto at GNC, but the rep said it was a men's prostate vitamin? How does it help with hair?
  4. VeronicaS

VeronicaS New Member

Hey!

Looks like you have the same type of hair loss as me. I'm willing to bet it's hormone related or stress related.

Saw palmetto IS a men's prostate vitamin - the reason being it is an androgen inhibitor. It blocks DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), which shrinks hair follicles and ultimately results in the loss of hair.

Saw palmetto lowers levels of DHT in the body by blocking 5 alpha-reductase. Secondly saw palmetto blocks receptor sites on cell membranes required for cells to absorb DHT.That's why it's a promising anti-hair loss remedy. It seems to have made a difference for me.

Good luck - I'm 18 too, I know how it feels, but I recommend herbal remedies over taking medications like rogaine which can actually worsen hair loss.
  5. kellyjean

kellyjean New Member

Thanks so much for your help. What dosage of SP do you take?
  6. VeronicaS

VeronicaS New Member

Hey!

No problem :)

I take 1600 mg , 2 tablets daily at the same time. I've had no side effects from them whatsoever.
  7. kellyjean

kellyjean New Member

I'll be sure to pick that up when I go out tomorrow.

And also, for anyone that's reading:

I've noticed lately that my scalp feels very itchy and almost has a 'burning' sensation sometimes. I've read threads on this occurance, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive reason?

I'm also on 100 mg of Zoloft because of this and one of the side-effects is hairloss.... I'm wondering whether I should get off of it?
  8. kellyjean

kellyjean New Member

Another doctors appointment today. Another disappointment. My T3 level was tested again and fell in the range of normal.

I'm really scared.

Visited stopthethyroidmadness.com and I exhibit many symptoms of hypothyroidism, but my labwork doesn't coincide.
  9. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

Hi Kelly, I have thyroid symptoms too, but my blood tests always come back within normal range. It's weird. I get the itching burning too. Ususally just for a day or 2. Just a few weeks ago, though, it literally lasted 2 weeks. I bought Neutrogena T-Gel at someone's suggestion, but the itching completely stopped (for now) before I got a chance to try it.

Yes, Zoloft can cause hair loss, but it can also help you stress less about it. It's a catch-22. I know you are scared, I'm sorry I don't have any real help to offer. Good luck.
  10. kellyjean

kellyjean New Member

Hmm. I've noticed mine has lasted for a week now (since using H&S shampoo). I'll stop using it to see if it stops burning.

But this itching thing is driving me insane. It feels like bugs are crawling around in my hair so I asked my doctor to check if I had lice.... He said he didn't see anything so I asked him to look harder (LOL). Nothing there....

Gah. It's really tingling today.