Impatience

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by Reb, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Reb

Reb New Member

Hello everyone,

My hair started coming out in clumps about a week ago. Since then, I have been taking B vitamins, a "hair vitamin" (with biotin and many things I can't pronounce), iron, silica, flax seed oil, etc. etc. -- and the hair loss seems to be speeding up rather than slowing down.

How long does it take for hair loss after a traumatic incident ("Telogen effluvium") to at least slow down? I know it takes years to grow back (if it ever does), but this morning just watching all my hair fall on the bathroom floor, when I'm doing everything in the @%$^$ book to stop it, it's just so frustrating and I was wondering if anyone knows or has been through this and can give me an idea about how long this massive shedding is going to go on. By my calculations, I will be completely bald in three to four weeks if things keep going at this pace.

Thank you for your help. I can't tell you how much it means to me to be able to ask these kinds of questions.

R
  2. Angela

Angela Moderator

Hi,
    I don't know how long it could take for your hair to recover. I only know of one woman who after a traumatic experience lost her hair everywhere and now has Alopecia Universalis.
    Everyone is so different that it would be hard to predict the rate of growth or the rate of hair falling out. I'm sorry I don't have an answer about it, but I can say that the Forum and Network are a great place to come for support as you are going through it.
    I'm glad you've joined us.
  3. Reb

Reb New Member

Thank you

Thank you for responding -- it really helps to read everyone's posts here
  4. chuyita32

chuyita32 New Member

Welcome!

Hi! I don't know exactly how long it takes to come back. I know I started losing mine about 1 year ago so I'm also keeping my hopes up! :) Good luck and welcome!!
  5. Reb

Reb New Member

Thank you for responding

Thank you chuyita32 for responding -- much appreciated. In the year that you've been losing your hair, has the shed slowed down? Has any grown back? I'm really scratching my (rapidly approaching bald) head over this one (bad pun sorry) -- went to the doctor, blood test came back "normal" (at least what I can decipher, I'm no doctor and the doctor I went to wasn't interested in explaining). Have you found anything that helps?

Thank you for your help
  6. chuyita32

chuyita32 New Member

You're welcome!!

Isn't it nice we have this forum to talk and support each other? It makes me happy :). Well Reb. I started losing my hair since I had my 3rd baby 14 months ago. My hair was always fine and curly, but it started shedding bad and didn't stop so now it's thinned out quite a bit. The shed has slowed down now. I'm using all kinds of stuff so I don't really know what (if anything) is working. I got some testing done as well & everything came back "normal". My ferritin was 32 though, and i've heard that's low so I started taking some iron supplements as well. I take nu-hair tablets, biotin, vitamin b, & a regular multivitamin. I'm also starting saw palmetto soon. I also used Nioxin shampoo & conditioner & didn't notice any difference. I use these hair products called Ovation that supposedly help grow hair. I see some new growth. It's not a lot but it's some! I'm keeping my hopes up though. I am going to the dermatologist next week, which to me is kind of nerve racking to probably find out this is permanent, but i'm still going. Also, I am going to start visiting a natural doctor that will hopefully put my hormones in check and tell me what is going on!!! It's definitely not genetic because everyone, and I mean everyone in my family has all their hair (even the men!). I am trying my best to get to the bottom of this and I'm staying positive. Good luck with everything, I completely understand the frustration! Let me know how everything goes :)