It's really working for me!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Like, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Like

Like New Member

Hi All,

I've posted here before when I felt iron supplements were helping slow down the hair shedding. But I wanted to write again because now I feel like not only has the shedding slowed down significantly, but my hair is filling up. My part is not as wide and I can't see through the hair at the top of head so much. Now, I can almost feel my hair is normal again. It's not what it used to be before this all started, but I definitely feel a lot better. I don't feel like I need to stare at my scalp all the time, and I don't worry about the sun light or any light, for that matter, on my scalp. For a while there, all I could do was obsess about my hair and look at other people's hair to try to figure out what was normal or not.

Anyway, so what's been working so well for me:
    5,000 mcg of Biotin daily
    200mg Spironolactone
    Iron supplements (now twice a week)
    Multivitamin

I think the Biotin has really helped make my hair feel and look better, although I'm not sure it's helped with growth, but you never know. Either way, I don't intend to stop taking it any time soon. I had been taking Spiro for a while, but it only started working for me when I upped the dose to 200 mg. I started with 50 mg, then 100 mg, and now at 200 mg. My doctor told me to lower the dose to 150 mg once I started feeling like my hair was better, but to be honest I don't wanna do it yet. It's all working, so I wanna keep it that way. Same with iron: I was taking it twice a day (Feosol), and then my ferritin got to 88 (it was 35 to begin with). My doctor told me to start taking it once a week. I'm slowly moving toward that and am now taking it twice a week.

I just wanted to share good news because I know how horrible going through hair loss can be. It's really hard and I hope to give someone hope by letting you know that there is hope. For the longest time, I thought I had to just get used to the idea that my hair was not gonna grow back, and I was happy to just think that the shedding might slow down. So I'm so grateful to have found a good doctor, who took me seriously, and who was able to help. Honestly, I think the combination of spiro and iron was really what did it for me.

By the way, if you haven't yet found a doctor who has given you the attention you deserve, go the American Academy of Dermatology site and look for a doctor who specializes in hair loss. That's what I did and I did find a doctor who treated me with respect, compassion and who was interested in helping me and listening to my story and worries.

Good luck everyone!
    Ponygirl likes this.
  2. phee4880

phee4880 New Member

Hey congrats on the slowed loss/regrowth! How long did it take you to notice slowed loss/regrowth after you started taking the iron? I've been losing hair for 8 months, and I have noticed quite a few baby hairs, but my hair is still falling out/thinning.
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck New Member

That's great to know! Congrats. :)

I'm also curious to know about the timeline.

I've noticed thinning of my hair for the last two years, but in the last year it's gotten progressively worse especially on top and in the front.

I've been on 100mg of Aldactone per day since February, and Multi-Vitamin since October last year.
  4. Robynkay35

Robynkay35 New Member

That's great. Could you give us a little run down on time?
  5. Like

Like New Member

I think I started noticing my hair was thinning in August of 2009. 2010 was a difficult year for me with the hair loss and other stressful events, such as illness in my family, work, etc. But I started feeling my hair was getting better around September or October in 2010. By then, I had probably been taking 200mg of Spiro a day for at least 6 months. Today, I feel my hair is as normal as it's gonna get. It's not full by any means, but it looks normal, and I don't obsess about it anymore. I feel blessed to have found a way out of this nightmare, and hope with all my heart you all do too. I stopped taking iron late last year because my levels were back to 95. I now only take Spiro and Biotin (5000 mg). I tried reducing the dosage of the Spiro to 150 a few months ago, but the shedding increased again, so I went back to 200 mg. I don't love taking it, but if this is what's working, then this is what I'm gonna do. I wish you all much luck!
  6. celticsfan2677

celticsfan2677 New Member

what kind of hair loss

hello,

just wondering if you have genetic hair loss or not? and are you on yaz birth control with the spiro?
  7. LucyJ

LucyJ New Member

Are there any b-complex pills that contain a large dose of biotin as I Take b complex anyway for other health reasons.